Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 15:09 Quote
Well lads, my new bike has a 120mm 44mm headtube, (hasnt arrived yet). Just abit concerned my fork steerer will be too short (single crown)... i measured it at 170mm. My stem is 40mm so that only leaves me with 10mm for the headset?

Because its a 44mm headtube I can get a zerostack top cup but need an external bottom cup. Will 10mm be enough or will I have to replace the steerer?

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 15:13 Quote
Roguee wrote:
Well lads, my new bike has a 120mm 44mm headtube, (hasnt arrived yet). Just abit concerned my fork steerer will be too short (single crown)... i measured it at 170mm. My stem is 40mm so that only leaves me with 10mm for the headset?

Because its a 44mm headtube I can get a zerostack top cup but need an external bottom cup. Will 10mm be enough or will I have to replace the steerer?
10mm is more than enough for a bottom cup. my wilson has a 120mm long headtube and the cups are 2mm each, and the steerer on my boxxer is less than 165mm and i still have enough room for a traditional stem instead of a DM.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
Are there any optical solutions for goggles beside the adidas inserts? Thanks Smile
Can't help you from my experience, but i've heard of people using the inserts you get for skiing goggles, so try looking into that.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Which lenses do you guys use for DH? I had eye surgery so I'm sensitive to uv light. Need something tinted but not too dark.

I have a pair of POC goggles which tint darker or lighter depending on the amount of light...in and out of the forest. They're called auto-chromatic or something (sorry at work and don't have them here) They change tint pretty quickly. I bought them 5 years ago for $150 or so...I think these would be great for you.

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 11:16 Quote
ClickG wrote:
NotNamed wrote:
Are there any optical solutions for goggles beside the adidas inserts? Thanks Smile
Can't help you from my experience, but i've heard of people using the inserts you get for skiing goggles, so try looking into that.

Cheers mate- I think I found the perfect solution: https://www.sk-x.eu/

I had inserts similar to the adidas but they fogged up really fast and bad- this sould be the better solution I hope!

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 at 23:20 Quote
False wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
MaximumOfBass wrote:

Use the same lenses, got the same opinion about those.

Awesome I'll have to look into these. Right before my eye surgery I found Scott goggles on clearance for $30. Didn't even realize I can't use the clear lenses lol.
lol i found some dh specific 2015 POC goggles for 7 bucks at a thrift store!

That's crazy! I see you're in Canada. Keep an eye on winners, they sometimes get goggles and other bike gear

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
False wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Awesome I'll have to look into these. Right before my eye surgery I found Scott goggles on clearance for $30. Didn't even realize I can't use the clear lenses lol.

That's crazy! I see you're in Canada. Keep an eye on winners, they sometimes get goggles and other bike gear
they almost always have ski goggles not MTB ones.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 17:06 Quote
False wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
False wrote:

I've seen bike gear at the one by my place. Bought some tools and a pump. They had goggles once but never seen them again.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 17:44 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
False wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I've seen bike gear at the one by my place. Bought some tools and a pump. They had goggles once but never seen them again.
oooh, i bought a hand pump from there for 5 bucks and a kali helmet once. Good deals there

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 3:07 Quote
Yo mtb community, im going in to yr 12 and don't know what i should do but i love mtb so much but cant do it often coz there are so many obstacles in the way, like school and parents not supporting me doing mtb. Im stuck in a pretty bad spot right now, i just need some guidance.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 4:42 Quote
Jbae wrote:
Yo mtb community, im going in to yr 12 and don't know what i should do but i love mtb so much but cant do it often coz there are so many obstacles in the way, like school and parents not supporting me doing mtb. Im stuck in a pretty bad spot right now, i just need some guidance.

School is an obstacle, and work will be another in your future. If you're 17, ride when you can, or just wait a year, your parents can't control you once you turn 18 (unless Australia has some strange laws).

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 5:16 Quote
Jbae wrote:

I was in the same situation. I rode BMX in highschool since it was cheap and accessible. Driving 1.5 hours each way to whistler wasn't possible. After high school I started working full time, bought a car, eventually got a well paying job. Bought my first mountain bike (a hard tail) at 21. Bought my downhill bike at 26. My situation was different. I got into 2 car accidents and couldn't bike for 3 years which delayed me getting into downhill. I couldn't work either so I was poor/in debt. Then I moved out and got married. If it wasn't for my injuries I probably would of been riding downhill a lot younger.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 14:15 Quote
Jbae wrote:
Same. Im 17 living in utah but spend most of my time in school, but my parents do support me a lot

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
Hyrumtasso wrote:
Jbae wrote:
Same. Im 17 living in utah but spend most of my time in school, but my parents do support me a lot

Same. I'm 44 and my family and work always get in my way....

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 17:43 Quote
What is a good knee pad + pant combo so that the knee of the pant doesn't get too tight?
also, how do I know what size I am for a knee pad if buying online, as i have large quads, small knees, and big calfs

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029620
Mobile Version of Website