Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 2:06 Quote
kylar wrote:
I just bought a Commencal Supreme v4.2 and can't decide between air or coil for the shock. I want the air for ease of changing the spring rate for different uses and conditions but am worried it just wont be as nice as a perfectly set up coil. Anyone know how progressive the frame is and how well it goes with an air shock?

I tried it with the Float X2 shock and went to coil.

It is not that the bike doesn't work with air but I felt way better with coil: more reliable and more sensitive to small bumps.
For different conditions I have different base settings and changing them takes no time.

The weight difference between them is approx 200 grams.

The Fox Float X2 IMO is the best air shock out there. Had it on my Pivot Phoenix and on a Sender a friend borrowed some. It works great but still not as good as coil and it is not easy to set up as you might think (it is easy to change some things with the air pressure and the settings the same as the coil but before that the mechanic had to change some things in the hydraulic gauge which made a huge difference).

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 2:31 Quote
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
Rjparrott wrote:
I just bought a transition tr250 (I’m already super in love.) I’ve put around 3/4 hours on the bike and I’m not sure I’m in love with the DB air coil. I’m not a huge fan of the rapid progressive ramp rate that are inherent to air shocks, that being said, should I try to stick with it and tune the dB air or try to trade it for an rc4/some other DH coil shock? I will mostly be riding freestyle terrain at highland/killington uphill is not a word in my vocabulary so no worries there. All opinions accepted.

Maybe swap it by the DB Coil?
Do you think that somebody would be willing to trade for that?

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 5:31 Quote
Rjparrott wrote:
Rjparrott wrote:
I just bought a transition tr250 (I’m already super in love.) I’ve put around 3/4 hours on the bike and I’m not sure I’m in love with the DB air coil. I’m not a huge fan of the rapid progressive ramp rate that are inherent to air shocks, that being said, should I try to stick with it and tune the dB air or try to trade it for an rc4/some other DH coil shock? I will mostly be riding freestyle terrain at highland/killington uphill is not a word in my vocabulary so no worries there. All opinions accepted.

Maybe swap it by the DB Coil?
Do you think that somebody would be willing to trade for that?

you said you have a DB air, there's a lot of people out there who has a DB coil but wants a DB air.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 10:57 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Not sure if it's the same on pro4 hubs, but on the pro2's it's really common to forget to put the small black washer back that sits between the bearing and freehub.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Pro-4-Rear-Hub-Assembly.pdf

part number 5 on this pdf

Rear is good, the issue is in the front hub.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 16:21 Quote
mastakilla wrote:
What is the best neck brace for me?

Info: last season I bought a medium atlas carbon and a s/m leatt 6.5. I tried to run both of them and found that they rubbed helmet in attack position at the back. Didn't have any luck with it, couldn't get comfortable.

Well, I want to find a solution that will work for me since I want the added safety.

Is there another brand I should try? Should I try a l/xl leatt? I was right in between sizes. Is there a fit trick that would help?

Ortema Neckbrace should have the best cleareance - but Note sure if it is sold in the US

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 11:13 Quote
norfiril wrote:
kylar wrote:
I just bought a Commencal Supreme v4.2 and can't decide between air or coil for the shock. I want the air for ease of changing the spring rate for different uses and conditions but am worried it just wont be as nice as a perfectly set up coil. Anyone know how progressive the frame is and how well it goes with an air shock?

It is not that the bike doesn't work with air but I felt way better with coil: more reliable and more sensitive to small bumps.
For different conditions I have different base settings and changing them takes no time.

The Fox Float X2 IMO is the best air shock out there. Had it on my Pivot Phoenix and on a Sender a friend borrowed some. It works great but still not as good as coil and it is not easy to set up as you might think (it is easy to change some things with the air pressure and the settings the same as the coil but before that the mechanic had to change some things in the hydraulic gauge which made a huge difference).

Thanks! I'm leaning towards coil. I'm pretty interested in the MRP raze.

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 20:00 Quote
norfiril wrote:
kylar wrote:

Ya the x2 is a real pain in the ass to tune. Adjusting volume spacers, 4 compression settings, there's a lot of tuning with this shock. I ran it at the reccomended settings and it felt like crap. Once I got it dialed it feels amazing. I finally got it tuned on my last ride out and now I love the shock.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 19:49 Quote
Just found a 2013 Rocky mountain flatline pro DH bike, very cheap, less than 850$, and almost brand new, but don't known it, so how about this bike?

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 20:09 Quote
flyDH001 wrote:
Just found a 2013 Rocky mountain flatline pro DH bike, very cheap, less than 850$, and almost brand new, but don't known it, so how about this bike?

Go for it! Decent price.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 20:29 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
flyDH001 wrote:

Go for it! Decent price.

If it´s really nearly brand new, that is a really good deal. You got not much to loose on that one. Was a decent bike, built like a tank and you could even look into using an angleset and offset bushings to get the geometry a little more modern, but it´s probably not necessary. Should make for a fun, low budget, bike park workhorse.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 21:42 Quote
@ThunderChunk
@Loki87

Thanks, has got it!

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 7:23 Quote
i noticed i grip too hard on my left hand (noticeably more when i use my front brake) and gets tired and sore faster during the day, how can i correct this?

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
i noticed i grip too hard on my left hand (noticeably more when i use my front brake) and gets tired and sore faster during the day, how can i correct this?

- Are your levers positioned at the same angle and do they have the same lever throw?
- Do you have gloves that are too small? Maybe one hand bigger than the other? Tight gloves can make you grip too hard in order to overcome the resistance of the gloves.
- Try different size grips, despite it only being on one side. Since you use the front more, it may be that is what amplifying the problem
- Put some Kinesio Tape on top of your hand, over your wrist and your forearm. I discovered this while i was nursing an injury. Helped me to kinda "feel" when i was gripping too hard.
- Make conscious efforts to not grip as tight. Takes some time though. It´s best to go for a track you know well and bang out chill laps with the only focus being on your grip.

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 10:29 Quote
has anyone had issues with the Airborne Pathogen's bearings in the linkage? Specifically the little dog bone, the bolts keep coming loose and bearings blow twice a year on mine. I met another guy with the same frame and he said that he's also having the same problem.

I took the time to really look for the cause of this, and the frame seems to be misaligned where the dog bone link meets the rocker link, so the bearings and bolts recieve lateral forces due to the binding produced that they were not meant to take, resulting in the bolts coming loose and the bearigns blowing up fast. I came to the conclusion that i'm just getting a new frame instead of keeping the struggle with this one, it rides awesome and feels super solid overall, but i can't be dealing with this all the time.

i'm curious in you guy's take on this.

Posted: Jun 17, 2018 at 14:13 Quote
Do high volume tires Make a big difference? I've always known my 2.5 minions run small but didn't realize how small until yesterday. They are not only narrow but the casing seems to have the volume of a 2.3 or even 2.1. my buddy's 2.3 magic mary are WAY bigger and he's on 23mm rims. I have 26mm. I thought he had 2.6 tires.

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027036
Mobile Version of Website