Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 20:24 Quote
Mahonrymtb wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
Mahonrymtb wrote:
Scott gambler or giant fury?
new fury or old one?

2016 giant fury vs 2018 Gambler
I'd take the Gambler over the older GT Fury.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 20:24 Quote
Mahonrymtb wrote:
oldmanDan wrote:
Mahonrymtb wrote:
Scott gambler or giant fury?
new fury or old one?

2016 giant fury vs 2018 Gambler
I'd take the Gambler over the older GT Fury. I'd ride either one of them before I owned a Giant Glory!

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 3:17 Quote
I don't know if this is the best place to ask but I'm thinking about moving to Netherlands next year and I'm sure there is no good trails for DH in Amsterdam but there are some nearby? Thanks!

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 6:34 Quote
norfiril wrote:
I don't know if this is the best place to ask but I'm thinking about moving to Netherlands next year and I'm sure there is no good trails for DH in Amsterdam but there are some nearby? Thanks!

define 'nearby' haha

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 7:02 Quote
It's flat as a pancake in the Netherlands. Anything decent is gonna be in Germany or Belgium. There's a few odd places in the Netherlands but nothing worth writing home about.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 8:24 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
norfiril wrote:

define 'nearby' haha

Hahaha something like 3 - 4 hour car distance

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 8:40 Quote
You can get to Ferme Libert in Belgium or Winterberg in Germany in that time.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
norfiril wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
norfiril wrote:

define 'nearby' haha

I live in Canada but I have 2 biker friends from netherlands. They rode in Germany.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
You can get to Winterberg in Germany in that time.

So you still have to go somewhere else to get to ride real tracks lol

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
You can get to Winterberg in Germany in that time.

So you still have to go somewhere else to get to ride real tracks lol
That is what I just said...???

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 10:22 Quote
https://aresweden.com/en/are-bike-park/

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 15:16 Quote
is a dh bike overkill for a line?
I have a stout old heavy de vinci Johnson
and at my age(50)
doubting I will progress past aline due to age /body /time on mountain

that a lighter less extreme bike will be better for a line and lesser trails cheers

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
bdcain wrote:
and at my age(50)

that a lighter less extreme bike will be better for a line and lesser trails cheers

You´ll probably appreciate the extra comfort a dh-bike provides. At least in the braking bumps.
Also, 50 isn´t a problem really. If you´ve kept yourself in shape you should have no problems progressing and that´s when you´ll appreciate the added safety a dh-bike provides.
That said, i´ve owned a Wilson from the same time and there´s no way i´d ride that thing today if i had even a little chance of owning something different. Those things were tanks both in quality/durability and in handling. A newer bike will let you progress a lot faster and safer. For comfort they were great though.
If you´re limited on time and therefore progression will be slower, get something modern with moderate geometry like a YT Tues if you have the funds to do it. You won´t regret it. Bikes have come a long way and it would be a shame to not experience what a modern bike can offer you.
If you´re between a modern enduro and the Johnson (assuming you own another bike?), i´d probably go with the enduro due to geometry alone.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 18:22 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

define 'nearby' haha

I live in Canada but I have 2 biker friends from netherlands. They rode in Germany.

Thank you and Arnoodels for your answers.

Here also I have to drive like 3 hour to ride proper DH tracks during winter season so no big changes about it. It's not sure but I'm glad I would still be able to ride

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 4:38 Quote
bdcain wrote:
and at my age(50)

I'd reccomend getting a DH bike even if you're riding blues. And trust me, you say you're not gonna progress past A-Line but you probably will. It's not a difficult run and you'll find yourself riding dirt merchant, freight train (in my opinion more challenging than A line) and black/double black tech before you know it.

DH bike is better for a few reasons. The park destroys bikes. You'll be breaking parts on a short travel bike. I have a hard enough time maintaining my Scott gambler and I don't ride anything harder than black flow and tech and even then, I'm not the most advanced rider. I'm slow and cautious. Your body will thank you for riding a bike with more travel. You'll be sore and feeling those brake bumps a lot more on small bike. I can ride DH multiple days in a row on my gambler but with my 160mm bike, I feel like I got hit by a train the next day. The slack geometry also puts you in a more comfortable position so you can get in more laps. If you plan on riding DH often, even if you're taking it easy I say get a DH bike.

That devinci is OLD. Bikes have come a long way in geometry and tech. You only live once, get something a little more modern with 27.5 so you can really enjoy whistler Smile . You don't have to spend a lot of money. Ex rental gt fury in whistler for just over $1k.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024552
Mobile Version of Website