Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
anyone having trouble uploading photos?

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
Deemax nipple thread in the rim is stripped, replace rim or is there any way to fix?

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
I suppose you could attempt a helicoil but I'm skeptical it'll hold up.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
Does anyone have a norco aurum if so has anyone put 2.6 tyres on

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
fozzy861 wrote:

They will fit but rim size is important too. I wouldn't run 2.6 unless you have minimum 28mm rims. Otherwise the profile will be too rounded.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
fozzy861 wrote:

They will fit but rim size is important too. I wouldn't run 2.6 unless you have minimum 28mm rims. Otherwise the profile will be too rounded.

Thanks mate my wheel size is 27.5. I'll have a look for other tyres then I need more traction on corners so presumed wider tyres was the way to go

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
fozzy861 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
fozzy861 wrote:

Thanks mate my wheel size is 27.5. I'll have a look for other tyres then I need more traction on corners so presumed wider tyres was the way to go

I meant 28mm rim width. Profile, tread compound and tread design are more important than tire width. I run kenda hellkats on my DH bike in 2.4 RSR compound. the grip is unbelievable. I'm really happy with them. I have E13 TRS race on my trail bike and the grip is even better than the hellkats but they are much slower. They are 2.35 but are more like a 2.5. maxxis DHR 2 and DHF maxxgrip are always a good combo too.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
fozzy861 wrote:
Yes and yes.

Running wtb convicts on my '16 aurum. Tires are huge and fit no problem. My favorite skinz ever

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
bdcain wrote:
kicking horse worth it?
spoiled from going doing Whistler for our first dh intro
and get 1 week there a year
the dream plan is to get season tickets and hang for the season (camping in our sprinter)
cost wise and logistics wise can be done but lots of prep planning etc
then saw last year kicking horse pre season season tickets were 100$ !
and had me thinking of tha
t as its is way closer cheaper etc
but.................
after our first week in whislter
we planned a week at fernie on the way home
and it was mid week and with the short runs
and super slow lift
agonizingly painful in the full sun slow lift
we couldn't do it
left mid day on the first day and headed home
is kicking horse another fernie or do they have more runs? faster lifts?
we are in the upper blues stepping up bit by bit so all the double blacks and hardcore stuff is not a factor
cheers

KH is fun, mostly tech and some jump trails... some quality double black stuff they use for the DH track for races... Also T4 down to the valley is awesome.

That said, I would not want to setup a camper and ride there all summer, there isn't enough there for DH... it will feel very small in terms of terrain compared to Whistler even though it has a lot of vertical. Makes more sense to camp in Whistler and do multi day trips to Silver Star, Big White and Sun Peaks.

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
do street drops to flat damage a dh bike ?

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

not really unless you're dropping 5 meter to flat and bottoming your suspensions so hard that they're louder than an atomic bomb

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Damage? No.
However, flatdrops are always hard on components and frame, whether they´re street drops or in the woods doesn´t really matter.
Of course hucking a few stairs to flat every now and then on your way back home from the trail won´t kill your bike, but you´ll notice when things start getting rough on your body. That´s generally when you might consider taking it a little mellower cause it takes the same toll on your bike.
So as was said, those 5m flatfrops might be somewhat suboptimal, but i highly doubt you´re willing to do any meaningful height to flat anyways so you should be fine.

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 20:21 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Short answer yes.

All riding damages your bike to some degree even if it's just gradual wear and tear. But drops to flat definitely will kill your frame and components faster especially your wheels. Stuff is really well made these days but look at old videos of urban freeride (it was a thing) and you can see their bikes being violently beaten to shit and exploding as they do these big hucks. From firsthand experience when i was first getting into drops i dropped of a 5 ft loading dock over and over for like an hour and my rebound and travel adjustments on my fork stopped working and then a few more drops and the fork locked up entirely.

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 at 23:13 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Short answer yes.

All riding damages your bike to some degree even if it's just gradual wear and tear. But drops to flat definitely will kill your frame and components faster especially your wheels. Stuff is really well made these days but look at old videos of urban freeride (it was a thing) and you can see their bikes being violently beaten to shit and exploding as they do these big hucks. From firsthand experience when i was first getting into drops i dropped of a 5 ft loading dock over and over for like an hour and my rebound and travel adjustments on my fork stopped working and then a few more drops and the fork locked up entirely.
What the f*ck

damn that was a shitty fork

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023583
Mobile Version of Website