Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Author Message
Posted: May 17, 2019 at 6:17 Quote
MERRY WHISTMAS EVERYONE

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 14:41 Quote
Rotec revert or banshee dark side for park riding? Both are running 180 forks and x7 cassettes. Which one would be best for a really playful bike but could handle a wee bit of tech if needed but mostly flow/classic free ride

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
Rotec revert or banshee dark side for park riding? Both are running 180 forks and x7 cassettes. Which one would be best for a really playful bike but could handle a wee bit of tech if needed but mostly flow/classic free ride

I rode the Darkside for a while, extremely playful and nimble bike, very popable.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
My dark side snapped, I’ve seen many others break. If you get it, make sure it has a warranty.

Fun ass bike but just not durable.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 18:07 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
Rotec revert or banshee dark side for park riding? Both are running 180 forks and x7 cassettes. Which one would be best for a really playful bike but could handle a wee bit of tech if needed but mostly flow/classic free ride

I'd go with the Rotec for the singlespeed option.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 0:10 Quote
I didn’t even know that frame was still for sale. Rotecs reboot flopped hard.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
Anyone have any idea/experience how 2.3'' minion semi-slicks (SS) play with 2.5'' DHF's on the front? I'm looking for a faster rolling dry tire, I love my minions but can only get the SS in 2.3'' as I've got a 26'er.

Is it no problem or will the tire size difference feel weird?
(side note I'm running 25mm ID rims)

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
Maxxis are thin to start with, especially the 2.3’s. I ran a 2.3 high roller last year on the rear and it is definitely ok but just not as nice as a 2.5 for traction and balance.

Thought about going for another brand semi slick?

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
Anyone have any idea/experience how 2.3'' minion semi-slicks (SS) play with 2.5'' DHF's on the front? I'm looking for a faster rolling dry tire, I love my minions but can only get the SS in 2.3'' as I've got a 26'er.

Is it no problem or will the tire size difference feel weird?
(side note I'm running 25mm ID rims)

For what it's worth, Loic is still running 2.3's on 25mm rims racing world cups so I can't imagine it'll be that detrimental. I run maxxis 2.4's on 25mm rims front and rear on my DH bike and 2.5 WT on 31mm rims on my enduro bike and there is a difference in traction, but the narrower tires are definitely faster with less rolling resistance. If you ride a lot of high speed bike park, the narrow tires are perfect. But if you ride a lot of natural tech, then wider tires would probably be better.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
Anyone have any idea/experience how 2.3'' minion semi-slicks (SS) play with 2.5'' DHF's on the front? I'm looking for a faster rolling dry tire, I love my minions but can only get the SS in 2.3'' as I've got a 26'er.

Is it no problem or will the tire size difference feel weird?
(side note I'm running 25mm ID rims)

My DH has 650b but have WTB 2.6 Vigilante on the front and WTB 2.4 Judge on the rear. Haven’t done a full all out run on it but feels good. Also have 29” maxxis dhf 2.5 front and dhr 2.3 on my Hightower with many miles and it feels great.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
The aggressor is I really good option for your 26.
Faster rolling than dhrs but still super grippy. Can get them in Double Down casing too

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
I run a DHF 27.5x2.5 front aggressor 2.3 in the rear and it does great in everything but wet and sloppy.. does anything grip well in sloppy mud tho.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Maxxis are thin to start with, especially the 2.3’s. I ran a 2.3 high roller last year on the rear and it is definitely ok but just not as nice as a 2.5 for traction and balance. a
Thought about going for another brand semi slick?

I'm not opposed to it, I'm just looking for a tire that rolls faster than a minion DHF in the rear but can still rail corners when laid over. Also, if the breakaway point is progressive that would be another huge plus, I recently got off a set of High Rollers (the og style) and really didn't like how when they'd finally lose traction they'd 'snap' away which always made it hairy/a little on edge when pushing the envelope.

Any suggestions?

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
I run a DHF 27.5x2.5 front aggressor 2.3 in the rear and it does great in everything but wet and sloppy.. does anything grip well in sloppy mud tho.

Interesting, and does it rail when laid over as well as the dhf? Also what's the breakaway like? I recently got off some High rollers (I, the og ones) and didn't like how it'd 'snap' away really hard when I exceeded the limit (vs a more progressive/predictable slide) which made them a tad hairy when pushing hard.

Also, what compounds do you run? The 70a or 60a dual compound? I can only seem to find the agressors in exo as well, not double down for 26'.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
Maxxis are thin to start with, especially the 2.3’s. I ran a 2.3 high roller last year on the rear and it is definitely ok but just not as nice as a 2.5 for traction and balance. a
Thought about going for another brand semi slick?

I'm not opposed to it, I'm just looking for a tire that rolls faster than a minion DHF in the rear but can still rail corners when laid over. Also, if the breakaway point is progressive that would be another huge plus, I recently got off a set of High Rollers (the og style) and really didn't like how when they'd finally lose traction they'd 'snap' away which always made it hairy/a little on edge when pushing the envelope.

Any suggestions?

I agree about that high roller comment. I really didn’t enjoy mine. I’ve got. 2.5 aggressor wt on my Enduro bike at the moment and it’s feeling pretty good.

Maybe have a look at the e thirteen or Schwalbe semi slicks?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016671
Mobile Version of Website