Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: May 28, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
I'm looking for opinions re a shock upgrade.

I recently picked up a Scott Voltage FR20 (the new version) and put a charger damper in the Boxxers. Whilst its transformed the front it's showing the inadequacies of the rear shock (a stock Van R, customed tuned)

I'm looking at (within budget and easy to get) a CCDB, Vivid R2C or a Fox Van RC performance. Of those I'm leaning towards the Fox due to easy adjustment

Or I could go over budget and wait for the right price and pick up an RC4 OR DHX2 ( though I don't think I'd get the full benefits of those)

Any input would be appreciated

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:

I recently picked up a Scott Voltage FR20 (the new version) and put a charger damper in the Boxxers. Whilst its transformed the front it's showing the inadequacies of the rear shock (a stock Van R, customed tuned)

I'm looking at (within budget and easy to get) a CCDB, Vivid R2C or a Fox Van RC performance. Of those I'm leaning towards the Fox due to easy adjustment

Or I could go over budget and wait for the right price and pick up an RC4 OR DHX2 ( though I don't think I'd get the full benefits of those)

If you have the money go with the x2 it is the best shock in the market , the ccbd is a great shock but not the easiest to tune and at a good price , the van rc doesn't differ to much from the van r that you have , the RC4 is great and you can find them at a good price ,I haven't tried the Vivid rc2 coil but the air is awesome

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:

If you can find one, the small shaft RC4 is a great shock and would definitely be my choice over all the others.
It has great damping, not much stiction with a reasonable shaft size, all the adjustments you´d ever need and can be easily serviced and custom tuned if needed. It´s also very reliable.
The Van RC won´t do you much good compared to the R.
Vivid has the added benefit of being available in different shim configurations, so you can choose what fits you and your bike a little, though RS spare parts have turned out to be a bit of a problem for me and others lately.
The CCDB isn´t that bad to set up. Just learn what knob does what exactly. If you want performance there´s no way around that with any shock.
The CCDB and DHX2 are not the most reliable shocks though.
DHX 2 imho is also rather pricey and just not worth the extra money.
So my vote would be RC4, then Vivid.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
fuzzydunlop wrote:

If you can find one, the small shaft RC4 is a great shock and would definitely be my choice over all the others.
It has great damping, not much stiction with a reasonable shaft size, all the adjustments you´d ever need and can be easily serviced and custom tuned if needed. It´s also very reliable.
The Van RC won´t do you much good compared to the R.
Vivid has the added benefit of being available in different shim configurations, so you can choose what fits you and your bike a little, though RS spare parts have turned out to be a bit of a problem for me and others lately.
The CCDB isn´t that bad to set up. Just learn what knob does what exactly. If you want performance there´s no way around that with any shock.
The CCDB and DHX2 are not the most reliable shocks though.
DHX 2 imho is also rather pricey and just not worth the extra money.
So my vote would be RC4, then Vivid.

somebody mentioned the MZ moto with progressive adjust and the Roco world cup?

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 14:20 Quote
Any thoughts on the sr suntour RUX ? thinking of swapping them over my boxxer rc with the air kit,
My lbs has the RUX at 750€ new
Thank you in advance

O+
Posted: May 28, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:

I would get a EXT ARMA HBC V3.

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 17:45 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
Any thoughts on the sr suntour RUX ? thinking of swapping them over my boxxer rc with the air kit,
Thank you in advance

Do it, really nice fork, it's gonna be an IMMENSE upgrade from your RC

Posted: May 28, 2019 at 21:23 Quote
[Quote="apatipsychonaut4"][Quote="Loki87"]
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Snip

Cheers for the input, I was searching facebook market place last night and snagged a RC4 in good condition for £80 at that price I can get it PUSH'd

Posted: May 29, 2019 at 3:58 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Thank you in advance

Do you have any more information about the rux? searched online but couldn't find much

Posted: May 29, 2019 at 6:58 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
Thank you in advance

Do you have any more information about the rux? searched online but couldn't find much
Its the same as the Durolux R2C2.
Its abit noisy because of the negative coil spring...the damper should be as good as the competition I suppose.

You can also get your Boxxer tuned with a new damper or modified damper- costs way less and does the job.

For example crconceptions make open bath versions for Lyriks/Boxxers etc. - they cost 300€ and are said to be very good

Posted: May 29, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:

Its abit noisy because of the negative coil spring...the damper should be as good as the competition I suppose.

You can also get your Boxxer tuned with a new damper or modified damper- costs way less and does the job.

For example crconceptions make open bath versions for Lyriks/Boxxers etc. - they cost 300€ and are said to be very good
How about the charger damper?

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
NotNamed wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:

How about the charger damper?
Great upgrade.

Don't do an open bath damper swap. Open bath dampers died for a reason.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
I asked this in a separate forum but maybe this is the best place:

Does anyone know why so many downhill riders are using a super deluxe rear shock instead of a vivid? Isn’t the super deluxe supposed to be the AM/enduro shock sitting between the monarch and the vivid, which is a more dedicated DH shock?

O+
Posted: May 30, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:

Does anyone know why so many downhill riders are using a super deluxe rear shock instead of a vivid? Isn’t the super deluxe supposed to be the AM/enduro shock sitting between the monarch and the vivid, which is a more dedicated DH shock?
i have wondered this also. that vivid is very out of date.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:

you realize that the super Deluxe DH is a downhill shock right? That's why it has DH in the name...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.063741
Mobile Version of Website