Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: May 30, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
I asked this in a separate forum but maybe this is the best place:

Does anyone know why so many downhill riders are using a super deluxe rear shock instead of a vivid? Isn’t the super deluxe supposed to be the AM/enduro shock sitting between the monarch and the vivid, which is a more dedicated DH shock?
you realize that the super Deluxe DH is a downhill shock right? That's why it has DH in the name...
That's just to throw people off, it's true purpose is aboard downcountry bikes.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 19:22 Quote
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

Does anyone know why so many downhill riders are using a super deluxe rear shock instead of a vivid? Isn’t the super deluxe supposed to be the AM/enduro shock sitting between the monarch and the vivid, which is a more dedicated DH shock?
you realize that the super Deluxe DH is a downhill shock right? That's why it has DH in the name...

I checked the website and they have RC world cup, RC3, RCT, RT Remote, Deluxe R, coil R, coil RC world cup, coil RCT, and coil RT remote, so I'm not sure that there is a specific DH version but maybe I'm just not aware of it and it isn't on their website for some reason. The question remains though, why would they be using a product designed more for the enduro category rather than DH?

O+
Posted: May 30, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

I checked the website and they have RC world cup, RC3, RCT, RT Remote, Deluxe R, coil R, coil RC world cup, coil RCT, and coil RT remote, so I'm not sure that there is a specific DH version but maybe I'm just not aware of it and it isn't on their website for some reason. The question remains though, why would they be using a product designed more for the enduro category rather than DH?
frame manufacturers try to stay current with Metric spacing, and Rockshox doesn't offer the Vivid in metric. They don't have an option.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
Nobble wrote:

frame manufacturers try to stay current with Metric spacing, and Rockshox doesn't offer the Vivid in metric. They don't have an option.

that makes a lot of sense.. and i suppose when they say 'world cup' they aren't referring to the XC racers!

thank you both

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 20:01 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

they must have changed the name then, read the description for the RC World Cup...

"RockShox metric rear shock technology meets downhill World Cup racing – a shock designed for the new breed of downhill bikes, ultra-capable and light as never before. No-compromise damping, with precise compression and rebound adjustments to dial in a podium-worthy ride – with the precise ride tuning abilities of an air spring"

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 1:48 Quote
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
Nobble wrote:

they must have changed the name then, read the description for the RC World Cup...

"RockShox metric rear shock technology meets downhill World Cup racing – a shock designed for the new breed of downhill bikes, ultra-capable and light as never before. No-compromise damping, with precise compression and rebound adjustments to dial in a podium-worthy ride – with the precise ride tuning abilities of an air spring"

yeah the rockshox super deluxe is a dh shock i have one on my canyon sender and even in its basic version it is good
(just a opinion)

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
Nobble wrote:

The Super Deluxe is still an Enduro shock...Just because some marketing mupped says otherwise its not true...

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

The Super Deluxe is still an Enduro shock...Just because some marketing mupped says otherwise its not true...

The RC3 version of the Super Deluxe came on my Capra last year and it felt like absolute dog shit. Maybe it was just the wrong tune for me or something but I swapped it out for an X2 and am blown away at how good that shock is in comparison. I've got an 11-6 on my yeti and was even considering selling it and just installing an X2 instead.

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
NotNamed wrote:
Nobble wrote:

The RC3 version of the Super Deluxe came on my Capra last year and it felt like absolute dog shit. Maybe it was just the wrong tune for me or something but I swapped it out for an X2 and am blown away at how good that shock is in comparison. I've got an 11-6 on my yeti and was even considering selling it and just installing an X2 instead.
probably the higher volume. The float can be set up way more linear than a super deluxe can, and the capra is stupidly progressive to begin with.

Posted: May 31, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
Nobble wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
NotNamed wrote:

probably the higher volume. The float can be set up way more linear than a super deluxe can, and the capra is stupidly progressive to begin with.

That's a good point. The RC3 SD doesn't really give you much in the way of adjustment compared to the X2. I've had a couple Rockshox rear shocks in the past and always got rid of them because I could never make them feel good. That being said, I used to run 36s but swapped for Lyriks because they feel so much better for me. Also, having the piggyback on the stanchion side of the shock just makes it look way burlier in my opinion. So for whatever reason, Fox rear shock + Rockshox fork tickles my turnip in this case

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Anyone here ride with moto helmets? They are heavier but I would think they offer much better protection, thinking about getting a 6d atr-2.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
Anyone here ride with moto helmets? They are heavier but I would think they offer much better protection, thinking about getting a 6d atr-2.

You can but your neck might thank you if you don’t.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:

There are arguments to be made about how moto helmets are too heavy and especially not compliant enough to prevent you from low speed impacts.
Basically speaking a moto helmet is made to prevent your head from exploding like a watermelon under a very heavy impact. It needs a lot of strength to accomplish that given the high speeds of moto.
A bicycle helmet sacrifices some of that top end strength in order to be able to absorb more of the impact force and protect your brain. Now i´m not saying moto helmets don´t protect your brain, but obviously there are always compromises to be made and keeping your head in one piece ranks before brain injuries for a moto helmet.
So yeah, that´s the basic argument manufacturers make for bicycle specific helmet and personally i tend to agree with them.
Then there´s the matter of weight and increased rotational forces being applied to your neck with a heavier helmet. Again something that´s important in mott too of course, but since we can get away with less weight in mtb, one may argue it´s worth it to do so.
In the end i don´t think it matters too much, since most helmet tech isn´t really proven in any way that would distinguish it clearly from the competition.
So in the absence of any meaningful statistical data bolstering the argument for any particular side, i tend to just go with what´s more comfortable.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:

Too heavy and no ventilation. You'll over heat.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:

Don't do it. Your position on a bike is different than on a moto. It'll bob your neck to death. Stick with something light weight like a D3.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027533
Mobile Version of Website