Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 16:07 Quote
6d atb1 dh bike helmet - 1310g
6d atr2 moto helmet - 1480g

170g difference for better protection?

The moto one has a different liner available too that is supposed to be more breathable.

If TLD ever wins the NFL helmet grant maybe I'll consider them, the 6d ODS system seems to offer much better protection vs mips.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:

The moto one has a different liner available too that is supposed to be more breathable.

If TLD ever wins the NFL helmet grant maybe I'll consider them, the 6d ODS system seems to offer much better protection vs mips.

So you already made up your mind. Great. Why did you ask us again?

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:

I'm confused here. Why ask?

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:
Anyone here ride with moto helmets? They are heavier but I would think they offer much better protection, thinking about getting a 6d atr-2.

In the end i don´t think it matters too much, since most helmet tech isn´t really proven in any way that would distinguish it clearly from the competition.
So in the absence of any meaningful statistical data bolstering the argument for any particular side, i tend to just go with what´s more comfortable.

Yeah, think I'm going to just go with whatever fits better, or the bike specific once cause it's cheaper.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

Kind of decided on a 6d, was just debating moto vs mtb edition.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

go research the standards, DOT/SNELL vs ASTM F1952

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 14:03 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

DH versus motorcros helmet explained (pinkbike.com)

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

Yeah, lots of people in the comments mentioned feeling less concussion symptoms after crashing with a moto helmet vs dh one.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 16:09 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
Aptlynamed wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Yeah, lots of people in the comments mentioned feeling less concussion symptoms after crashing with a moto helmet vs dh one.

We had that stuff before.
It´s a stupid statement to make.
I could claim the same thing for anything really.
"Had XY not eaten that tomato, he´d not have died of cancer."
It´s just an arbitrary statement to make in the absence of any meaningful data or reference point.
It´s a sample size of one, rated by people who might or most likely might not know what they´re even talking about.
Concussion symptoms? Did they use a proper rating scale or questionaire or any other reliable measure of symptoms? Or is it just people claiming they had a bad crash for internet points? How did they determine it would have been worse in a bicycle helmet?
Same thing with the neckbraces. Once they emerged, people on here all claimed they would have been dead in their last crash had it not been for their neckbrace DEFINITELY saving their ass. If i was to go by the number of allegedly prevented spinal injuries on pinkbike, before the advent of neckbraces, half the downhiller population would have been paralyzed within one year.
There´s just no value in anecdotal reports.
People claim this stuff all the time.
How would anyone know though, without repeating the exact same crash with a different helmet and in perfect health?
You can´t falsify the claims and therefore they´re scientifically worthless.
It´s THE basic scientific principle which people keep ignoring.

It´s a never ending debate, especially given the rather unspecific terms "moto helmet" and "bicycle helmet".
They´re not all created equal, so if you really wanna compare anecdotal references you at least need to compare them between two very specific products in order to not end up with a billion variables.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 21:00 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
Aptlynamed wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Sounds like you made up your mind....

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 22:40 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:

Sounds like you made up your mind....

Still rocking an older Bell Full 9, easiest solution is to do nothing, but one of those 6d helmets is sure tempting.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
I wonder if the Bell Full 9 would be more suited for higher speed impacts than the Transfer 9 seeing how it is a carbon shell vs a fiberglass one. Or whether the 2 shells show similar stiffness's despite the material change?

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
My understanding of it is the shell is less about the actual impact absorption, that is mainly handled by the internal EPS foam, MIPS, wavecell, etc. Carbon shell is just lighter than fiberglass obviously.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
My understanding of it is the shell is less about the actual impact absorption, that is mainly handled by the internal EPS foam, MIPS, wavecell, etc. Carbon shell is just lighter than fiberglass obviously.

I believe carbon is for durability as well. As long as you don't crash, obviously, it should last longer than composite.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 20:11 Quote
hitch a ride with bikes or drive into whistler from cal cheak during crankworx?
wish it was like a dead show with lot camping but ........

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020977
Mobile Version of Website