Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 1:12 Quote
I am currently using Hope Tech Enduro wheels on my DH bike. No complaints, bombproof so far, 1 full season on them, no dents, no damage at all.

However they are very narrow, 23mm internal and 28 mm external width. Now on to the possibly silly question. Will going to 35mm external width also lower my bottom bracket height, slightly? The tire will sit wider in the rim and less tall?

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 6:08 Quote
DuelingBanjos wrote:
I am currently using Hope Tech Enduro wheels on my DH bike. No complaints, bombproof so far, 1 full season on them, no dents, no damage at all.

However they are very narrow, 23mm internal and 28 mm external width. Now on to the possibly silly question. Will going to 35mm external width also lower my bottom bracket height, slightly? The tire will sit wider in the rim and less tall?

In theory, you may loose a couple of mm, but in the grand scheme of things, with the tyres moving as you ride, it is not going to make any difference.

Wider rims have lots of other benefits though!

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
hi , can i run a 10 speed zee derailleur with my 9 speed saint shifter in a 9 speed cassette ?

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
If they're that wide to change the tire height in any noteworthy way, chances are high they f*ck up the tire profile too. Manufacturers offer wide trail options for a reason to compensate for the wider rims.
If your bb height is that bad you need to resort to such measures, get a new frame. Wide rims are too expensive to experiment with for such marginal gains and on a super tall bb you won't notice 2mm anyway.
If your bb height is within reasonable numbers, you won't notice the effect of the rims.

If it's an old frame you wanna make a bit more modern in terms of geometry, i suggest offset shock bushings. They'll drop your bb height and slacken the headangle which an older frame will most likely benefit from as well. And they're rather inexpensive.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
I figured that much yeah...thanks anyway.

Matter of millimeters. BB height is not that bad at the end of the day....i was thinking offset bb but am not willing to spend that much.

Frame is not that old (Banshee Darkside), offset bushings would do the job but they will reduce reach so that's out of the question.

Will get new frame next year probably...2017/2018 Gambler's numbers and characteristics look good for my height and preferences.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
DuelingBanjos wrote:

Matter of millimeters. BB height is not that bad at the end of the day....i was thinking offset bb but am not willing to spend that much.

Frame is not that old (Banshee Darkside), offset bushings would do the job but they will reduce reach so that's out of the question.

Will get new frame next year probably...2017/2018 Gambler's numbers and characteristics look good for my height and preferences.

Offset bushings and Reachset? Would still slacken the bike a bit, but at least reach is compensated for.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
DuelingBanjos wrote:

Offset bushings and Reachset? Would still slacken the bike a bit, but at least reach is compensated for.

Works components reach adjuster is already on (it raises bb height btw, not by much but it does)...and yet i wish bike was slightly longer. I am aware this is a sinking ship and i need new frame but as i said, not until next season.

Got new, longer trail bike earlier this year and all of a sudden i feel cramped on dh bike...trail bike's reach just feels right and i 've been riding some mate's longer dh bikes, yeah i need that.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
Got bored so mullet'ed the Demo Smile

I'll do it properly with some 49 Lowers or borrow my buddy's 29 inch world cups. I think it will work well on this bike as the Bottom Bracket is too low in my opinion.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
hi , can i run a 10 speed zee derailleur with my 9 speed saint shifter in a 9 speed cassette ?

Nope. But you can run a 9 speed sram shifter with shimano 10 speed derailleur on 9 speed cassette

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
Not sure if this is the right forum...but does anyone know if UCI inspects helmet manufacturing decals before the race? I’m going to the masters in August and my bell full 9 is 2015 but looks brand new. Wasn’t sure if I should get something newer just in case they inspect?!

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
Not sure if this is the right forum...but does anyone know if UCI inspects helmet manufacturing decals before the race? I’m going to the masters in August and my bell full 9 is 2015 but looks brand new. Wasn’t sure if I should get something newer just in case they inspect?!
I'd get a new one if I was doing a big race like that.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Would this 2015 Devinci Wilson 27.5 AL be a good first DH bike? Is the shock good enough or should I budget for a replacement?

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Would this 2015 Devinci Wilson 27.5 AL be a good first DH bike? Is the shock good enough or should I budget for a replacement?

The frame is imho damn near perfection for an everyday park/race bike imho. Angles are spot on without being extreme in any way, handling is intuitive, it rides very high in its travel and doesn´t waste any travel and it tracks superbly in the rough.
One big problem is the shock´s wishbone extension. It has a tendency to come loose or get seized, so you need to take precautions from the get go and apply just the right amount of torque and NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT (which happens easily) and use Loctite so it doesn´t come loose.
Also loctite all the other linkage bolts, because if they come loose, it´ll chew thorugh your shock´s shaft bushing in no time and leave you with a broken shock (happened to me). It can also appear on some frames that there is a tiny amount of play in the shock yoke to shock connection. Nothing that would be bothering during riding, but it can be felt when picking up the bike by the saddle. So if you´re picky about such things, maybe reconsider.
The shock has some annoying harsh top out, which can be annoying to some people, but other than that it seemed to work fine. My shock has some custom parts now, so i can´t say much about how it performs in its standard configuration.

All in all, when the bike works it works like a dream and corners like crazy. It does have some quirks you have to be willing to live with though.

EDIT:
You should also be aware that you can not simply put a new shock on the frame. Most shocks require you to modify the shock yoke with a dremel in order to fit the new shock, as most shocks eyelets aren´t long enough to fit.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 14:08 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

The frame is imho damn near perfection for an everyday park/race bike imho. Angles are spot on without being extreme in any way, handling is intuitive, it rides very high in its travel and doesn´t waste any travel and it tracks superbly in the rough.
One big problem is the shock´s wishbone extension. It has a tendency to come loose or get seized, so you need to take precautions from the get go and apply just the right amount of torque and NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT (which happens easily) and use Loctite so it doesn´t come loose.
Also loctite all the other linkage bolts, because if they come loose, it´ll chew thorugh your shock´s shaft bushing in no time and leave you with a broken shock (happened to me). It can also appear on some frames that there is a tiny amount of play in the shock yoke to shock connection. Nothing that would be bothering during riding, but it can be felt when picking up the bike by the saddle. So if you´re picky about such things, maybe reconsider.
The shock has some annoying harsh top out, which can be annoying to some people, but other than that it seemed to work fine. My shock has some custom parts now, so i can´t say much about how it performs in its standard configuration.

All in all, when the bike works it works like a dream and corners like crazy. It does have some quirks you have to be willing to live with though.

EDIT:
You should also be aware that you can not simply put a new shock on the frame. Most shocks require you to modify the shock yoke with a dremel in order to fit the new shock, as most shocks eyelets aren´t long enough to fit.

I think i could live with those minor quirks with how good of a price this frame is.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

EDIT:

I think i could live with those minor quirks with how good of a price this frame is.

I had a lot of trouble with mine in the beginning (knock on wood it´s all good now), but i still love the frame. So that kinda speaks for itself i think. It really performs that good. So if you´re on a budget, willing to wrench a little and want a top performing bike, i say go for it.
I have yet to find a negative review on the Wilson, aside from the technical quirks of course.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.021400
Mobile Version of Website