Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
For sure try the 50mm stem. I 100% agree with Loki about short stems on slack DH bikes... the impact on handling when you have a 200mm fork, different trail and slack head angle is not the same as on a trail bike with 140-160mm fork at 64-65 HTA.

If you can demo some XL/XXL in the 480-500mm reach you can see what works for you. At 193cm it depends too on relative length of your legs/torso... longer torso = more body lean = longer reach required. For example I am only 5'10 (178cm or so) many people would say 450ish trail bike reach is good but I prefer 470ish because I have a very long torso.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
GregWellard wrote:
Thanks a lot. Any dh bikes you can recommend? I was thinking of the tues as it has good sizing and geo but im unsure about the spec on it. Maybe I'll get the sender but its still pretty short with the XL. Any other good value bikes?

First try the New stem and maybe a reach adjustment headset- 15mm longer stem and maybe 6/10mm more Reach with the headset should be plentyful

For the other Bike: Get one with atleast 440mm chainstays (445-450) should be even better so youll be more balanced (Like a Propain Rage for example)

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
Hey all! It''s been a while since I've been here but here's my scenario, I'm planning on jumping off a roof approx. 10 ft in height onto pavement but I haven't done something like this yet... any suggestions on tire pressure, fork & shock adjustments or other tips of that nature?
Cheers!

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
vydra wrote:
Hey all! It''s been a while since I've been here but here's my scenario, I'm planning on jumping off a roof approx. 10 ft in height onto pavement but I haven't done something like this yet... any suggestions on tire pressure, fork & shock adjustments or other tips of that nature?
Cheers!

i recommend you not doing that dude

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
vydra wrote:
Cheers!

this guy is wrong. SEND IT! Make sure to land flat and throw in a sick bar tweak.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:

It would make for a sick experience (and video) but I see your perspective.

Bike2850, I pass the place daily and it's quite tempting.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
do it on a bike you dont care about. or something made of steel.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
vydra wrote:
Cheers!

Why? Landing to flat never feels good. Even flat drops from 6 ft are pretty harsh on my gambler.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 22:27 Quote
I would put a really progressive setting that is super soft at the beginning with firmer at the end for when you were pushing full into the suspension and travel. Have you ever had a head on car accident? Make sure to wear a neck brace and have fun!!

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 23:47 Quote
vydra wrote:
Cheers!
slow down your rebound a bunch.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
Strap your ankles up good and tight.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 5:17 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
GregWellard wrote:
Should I still add a 50mm stem to the bike if the HA is already "steep" 63.5°?

There´s no reason not to.
As is said, it´s not really up to any specific measurements. You might like it, or you may not.
Given that i see a 450mm reach with 50mm stem as the absolute sweetspot for me at 1,80m, i´d say you kinda need the 50mm on that bike, because the 35mm stem puts you right within my cockpit measurements while being quite a bit taller.
Ask a friend to lend you his stem and see how it feels.

BTW, what frame are we talking about?

The propain rage alumium in size L of course, but I've had people amazed by the value of the bike that I'm selling for slightly under 5000. I'm not sure where to find a 50mm stem if its just for testing but YT has a sale on at the moment and I'm strongly considering the YT. I also have to consider the fact I'm still growing and I'll probably end up around the 195cm mark at least, bigger frame is probably going to be an advantage for me in the long run. I found the customer service with propain was horrible as well as they take a long time to answer and after 2 months they still havnt been able to offer me new parts or compensation for the wrong/damaged parts. This bike was a really complicated purchase and I was quite disappointed with what I ended up getting, wrong fork as well. Anyways I'll do some looking around bikes and stems and hopefully I'll have a bike as soon as possible as I've already wasted most of this year waiting for propain to accept my requests but they have pretty much refused to cooperate and at this point I'd rather look into something else. Any frames you guys love?

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
GregWellard wrote:
Thanks a lot. Any dh bikes you can recommend? I was thinking of the tues as it has good sizing and geo but im unsure about the spec on it. Maybe I'll get the sender but its still pretty short with the XL. Any other good value bikes?
Personally i prefer the Senders suspension A LOT over the Tues.
The Tues feels kinda strange to me, even with a custom tuned damper we never got it to feel as smooth as some other bikes. It feels like it´s hanging up on hard square edge hits. It feels like the suspension only wants to work for impacts like drops, but not track the ground that well.
Even though i like the Sender a lot, personally i´d stay away from Canyon due to their spare parts policy. If you crack anything in an accident or are out of the warranty timeframe, you´re screwed as they won´t even sell you spare parts for their frames. Cracked a chainstay on a rockstrike? Time for a new frame.
Sorry, don´t have any real recommendations in that size range for price conscious frames atm.

I was going to buy the sender before making up my mind on the propain (before I realized that I'm very tall and that I should be very careful about the geometry of the bikes I get). If I were to go for a bigger bike a canyon wouldn't be enough anyways well at least not compared to the propain as its only 10mm longer... YT with 495mm seems perfect, it comes with a 50mm stem and I've heard pretty good things about it although I'm interested in how you feel the tues suspension performs. The tues geometry is extremely progressive and as I prefer coil I would probably swap out the air with the coil on the propain (dhx2) and then I'd have something interesting... and then sell the propain.. any opinions?

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
So I’m new to the downhill world but been riding trails for a while now. Been hitting mtn creek in Nj a lot and been building up my confidence. I can pretty much tackle all the greens and any features in them with Confidence. Moving onto the blues i can handle them well, starting to be able to clear some of the jumps there but I feel like my skills especially in cornering/berms is lacking.

I noticed they offer classes there, has anyone ever tried them and would recommend them? Or recommend some other form of how to progress my knowledge/skill?

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 7:20 Quote
Bearjewjonny wrote:
So I’m new to the downhill world but been riding trails for a while now. Been hitting mtn creek in Nj a lot and been building up my confidence. I can pretty much tackle all the greens and any features in them with Confidence. Moving onto the blues i can handle them well, starting to be able to clear some of the jumps there but I feel like my skills especially in cornering/berms is lacking.

I noticed they offer classes there, has anyone ever tried them and would recommend them? Or recommend some other form of how to progress my knowledge/skill?

I learnt my technique from YouTube videos tbh and the rest built itself from riding and messing around and getting a feeling for how the bike rides and how you can make it ride with different body positions and stuff

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019981
Mobile Version of Website