Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
JamEagle wrote:
Need some suspension tips.

I have a Scott Gambler that I recently picked up and am trying to dial in the suspension. Right now it feels smooth but I feel like I could get it a little smoother. not sure how much air is in them either. Should I just keep riding and tinkering with it until i find something I like?

You'll figure it out. It takes time. Just keep adjusting settings until you get a feel for how it affects the ride. For example slow High speed compression vs fast. Run the dial at full open and full closed and then in the middle. You'll see what it does and how it changes your ride.

OP, Google 'bracketing MTB', it's a way to make and track adjustments, to help you dial that bike in.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
I have noticed that not every DH fork is set so the top clamp is at the very top of the stanchions, what dictates the location you set the clamps on your fork, is it dependent on HT length, or do you adjust it to personal preference or how steep the trail is???

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
unrooted wrote:
I have noticed that not every DH fork is set so the top clamp is at the very top of the stanchions, what dictates the location you set the clamps on your fork, is it dependent on HT length, or do you adjust it to personal preference or how steep the trail is???

You always have to have the bottom one at the same spot (there should be a marking on it), and the top depends how tall your headtube is and how much height you want your handlebars to have

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
unrooted wrote:

You always have to have the bottom one at the same spot (there should be a marking on it), and the top depends how tall your headtube is and how much height you want your handlebars to have

That makes sense.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 4:26 Quote
Randomdeek wrote:
Hi,
Looking for some ideas on new knee / shin pads, currently using nuke proof critical but bit worn out now.
What’s everyone using that’s good for DH / park use?

Another shout for Scott Grenades, I just managed to get another pair of original ones in as new condition from eBay (buy all accounts slightly more durable than the new ones)

Flanks are also a solid choice esp with the longer shin protection

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 4:51 Quote
Fox titan pro knee pads are the most protective ones I have seen the have hinged knee and shin parts and are really comfortable and you can crash as hard as you want into anything and still walk away with no pain

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 5:04 Quote
Morgan5518 wrote:
Fox titan pro knee pads are the most protective ones I have seen the have hinged knee and shin parts and are really comfortable and you can crash as hard as you want into anything and still walk away with no pain

I've got a pair for sale in BuySell as I couldn't get on with them, tbh you look a bit RoboCop in thembas well Big Grin I've also got some TLD lopes hardshell which are much better than the Titan's

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
Randomdeek wrote:
Hi,
Looking for some ideas on new knee / shin pads, currently using nuke proof critical but bit worn out now.
What’s everyone using that’s good for DH / park use?

Literally the best I’ve ever used.
Kali Aazis 180 hands down best leg armor I ve ever used

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Anyone on a supreme 29’er?

I sold my s-works demo8 yesterday and looking at what I could replace it with. Defiantly want to go 29 inch wheel due to my height and I love it on my enduro bike.

What are they like to live with? Commencal have always been pretty bulletproof from my recollection but quite heavy still? I’m keen to get back on an alloy bike after too many cracked carbon frames.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Anyone on a supreme 29’er?

I sold my s-works demo8 yesterday and looking at what I could replace it with. Defiantly want to go 29 inch wheel due to my height and I love it on my enduro bike.

What are they like to live with? Commencal have always been pretty bulletproof from my recollection but quite heavy still? I’m keen to get back on an alloy bike after too many cracked carbon frames.

a friend has a meta 29er, he says it's amazing, i imagine the supreme is even better.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 17:34 Quote
I'm building up a 2015 devinci Wilson frameset and have a few questions.
Is the increase in price for the XO1 DH vs GX DH 7 speed groupset worth it? What are some good mid range cranks to look at?

Also, sram code r vs Shimano zee?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 17:55 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Is the increase in price for the XO1 DH vs GX DH 7 speed groupset worth it? What are some good mid range cranks to look at?

The Xo1DH has some inherent problems. Pretty sure the GX does too, but i wouldn´t spend the money for a X01DH again as it´s basically just money you spend on less weight which imho is just not necessary. That said, my X01DH is still going strong after years, despite a few annoyances it causes.

Neither of those brakes for me. They are too prone to problems in my experience. All the Maguras around me have been going strong for years and feel awesome if they have the shorter lever blades.
Brakes are so subjective, you need to know what you like best. If you don´t, you might as well just buy whichever are cheapest.

Cranks i would always just go for Saints or, if funds are tight, Zee. Shimano cranks are just trouble free and reasonably priced. Saints are absolutely bomb proof. Saints are literally the only dh cranks on the market which set themselves apart from the competition in some aspect, namely strength and durability (and weight, haha). All the rest battle it out with marginal gains in weight or strength over each other, but nothing beats saints when it comes to strength. Personally i can live with a little extra weight on my dh bike for the peace of mind the saints provide.
If weight matters to you or you don´t value all out strength, imho just get what is lightest or whatever you can get the cheapest.

In the end it´s all a matter of preference, luck and/or funds though.

Enjoy the bike, but be DAMN CAREFUL with that shock extender. Make sure you do not overtighten the shock bolt or it will seize after one ride. Also use locktite because it has a tendency to get loose when not tightened down hard (yeah, it is a stupid system). And make sure the bearings to which the extension attaches are running smooth, as the frame literally eats the shock´s internal bushings if the bearings aren´t working perfectly.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 17:59 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

The Xo1DH has some inherent problems. Pretty sure the GX does too, but i wouldn´t spend the money for a X01DH again as it´s basically just money you spend on less weight which imho is just not necessary. That said, my X01DH is still going strong after years, despite a few annoyances it causes.

Neither of those brakes for me. They are too prone to problems in my experience. All the Maguras around me have been going strong for years and feel awesome if they have the shorter lever blades.
Brakes are so subjective, you need to know what you like best. If you don´t, you might as well just buy whichever are cheapest.

Cranks i would always just go for Saints or, if funds are tight, Zee. Shimano cranks are just trouble free and reasonably priced. Saints are absolutely bomb proof. Saints are literally the only dh cranks on the market which set themselves apart from the competition in some aspect, namely strength and durability (and weight, haha). All the rest battle it out with marginal gains in weight or strength over each other, but nothing beats saints when it comes to strength. Personally i can live with a little extra weight on my dh bike for the peace of mind the saints provide.
If weight matters to you or you don´t value all out strength, imho just get what is lightest or whatever you can get the cheapest.

What kind of problems do they have?

I've read about that shock mount, I'll have to make sure I have all the torque measurements right!

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

I've read about that shock mount, I'll have to make sure I have all the torque measurements right!

They have a tendency to work themselves loose and also there was something with the clutch i believe.
On mine the retainer clip which holds the mounting bolt in has come loose on its own (however that can even happen) and therefore it´s a little finicky now to mount it, as i never got the clip back in.
I prefer the SRAM feeling to shimano, but imho shimanos appear to be a little more reliable. Again, it´s kinda irrelevant as most products have these kind of problems. I believe Shimano clutches have a tendency to wear prematurely? So it´s a toss up really. I was only mentioning it as i would not spend the significant extra cash for the X01DH when it has been known to be a faulty product and the extra money doesn´t really get you any noticable performance gains. The GXs i´ve tried so far felt perfectly fine, so i would just buy that. Maybe get the X01DH shifter for the feel if you prefer it.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 18:48 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Habaden wrote:
Loki87 wrote:

They have a tendency to work themselves loose and also there was something with the clutch i believe.
On mine the retainer clip which holds the mounting bolt in has come loose on its own (however that can even happen) and therefore it´s a little finicky now to mount it, as i never got the clip back in.
I prefer the SRAM feeling to shimano, but imho shimanos appear to be a little more reliable. Again, it´s kinda irrelevant as most products have these kind of problems. I believe Shimano clutches have a tendency to wear prematurely? So it´s a toss up really. I was only mentioning it as i would not spend the significant extra cash for the X01DH when it has been known to be a faulty product and the extra money doesn´t really get you any noticable performance gains. The GXs i´ve tried so far felt perfectly fine, so i would just buy that. Maybe get the X01DH shifter for the feel if you prefer it.

Alright thanks, I found a set for $400 on here which seems like a good deal but I night just go with the cheaper Gx

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024448
Mobile Version of Website