Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 19:01 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
Habaden wrote:

What kind of problems do they have?

I've read about that shock mount, I'll have to make sure I have all the torque measurements right!

They have a tendency to work themselves loose and also there was something with the clutch i believe.
On mine the retainer clip which holds the mounting bolt in has come loose on its own (however that can even happen) and therefore it´s a little finicky now to mount it, as i never got the clip back in.
I prefer the SRAM feeling to shimano, but imho shimanos appear to be a little more reliable. Again, it´s kinda irrelevant as most products have these kind of problems. I believe Shimano clutches have a tendency to wear prematurely? So it´s a toss up really. I was only mentioning it as i would not spend the significant extra cash for the X01DH when it has been known to be a faulty product and the extra money doesn´t really get you any noticable performance gains. The GXs i´ve tried so far felt perfectly fine, so i would just buy that. Maybe get the X01DH shifter for the feel if you prefer it.

Alright thanks, I found a set for $400 on here which seems like a good deal but I night just go with the cheaper Gx

If you get a good deal, by all means go for it. Mine has been holding up for years now, besides the little annoyances.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
Habaden wrote:
I'm building up a 2015 devinci Wilson frameset and have a few questions.
Is the increase in price for the XO1 DH vs GX DH 7 speed groupset worth it? What are some good mid range cranks to look at?

Also, sram code r vs Shimano zee?

Hope Tech 3 V4

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 21:33 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
Habaden wrote:
I'm building up a 2015 devinci Wilson frameset and have a few questions.
Is the increase in price for the XO1 DH vs GX DH 7 speed groupset worth it? What are some good mid range cranks to look at?

Also, sram code r vs Shimano zee?

Hope Tech 3 V4
way to suggest a completely different price bracket to either of the brakes he asked about... lol

I'd go with the codes as long as they're the new ones.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
For a 120-130lb rider would you recommend a Boxxer WC or a Team with a silver/x-soft spring? It looks like both fork's lowest spring/psi is for riders 140lbs so i'm not sure which one would feel better at a lower weight.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
The spring will feel better because it will have less stiction but the World Cup will be lighter and there for easier to ride if you’re a lighter guy

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
I can't speak from personal experience as i'm not that lightweight,but if you're right on the fence with the coil i'd probably go for a slightly stiffer coil over air as too stiff a coil will still feel smoother than air while you'll still get enoguh traction out of it. For example i'm firmly within the range of the red RS Boxxer spring, but i can ride the blue for a stiffer setup even with my heavily damped damper settings from the red spring. If i was to adjust damping accordingly, the blue would feel almost the same, so there is a bit of overlap possible.
You can also buy cheap used internals from a coil and just see how it works in regards to sag. Should cost you about 50-60$ including the coil and you can sell it on if you're not satisfied. Seeing as RS apparently tends to calculate with 30% fork sag, which is definitely too much, the recommended springs might end up being on the lower end for your weight anyways, so imho it's still worth a shot if you're only slightly outside the recommended weight limits.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 20:51 Quote
Anyone have experience of 100% helmets and sizing?

Quality yeah?

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 21:09 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Anyone have experience of 100% helmets and sizing?

Quality yeah?

I’ve got the Aircraft. Fantastic helmet. I have it in a large and it fits spot on. My only gripe with it is that it’s a bit narrow in the cheek area but it doesn’t squish my face so much that it makes it uncomfortable. I would highly recommend it and would definitely get another one.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
Thanks for such a speedy reply bud!

I reckon if I take a clothes measure out onto my noggin then I’ll deffo go for one. They do look Grade A top end.

:-D

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 23:12 Quote
What size in cms are you?

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 0:58 Quote
Habaden wrote:
For a 120-130lb rider would you recommend a Boxxer WC or a Team with a silver/x-soft spring? It looks like both fork's lowest spring/psi is for riders 140lbs so i'm not sure which one would feel better at a lower weight.

I prefer air because I'm able to adjust how progressive/linear it is with volume spacers. I can really dial in the feel with an air fork. It's easier to adjust psi rather than swapping springs. It's really personal preference.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 6:40 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
What size in cms are you?

I’m not sure on my exact size, but the sticker inside says the large is 59-60

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
I love my aircraft. Same here find it rather narrow in the cheeks and overall a little tighter than the same size Giro i had before. But fit is probably rather personal for a helmet

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
I've got a 100% aircraft in small (55-56) and it fits me with a little bit of wiggle room. According to the tape measure my heads 57cm

They're excellent helmets

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 12:01 Quote
So they come up large as I have read opposite elsewhere.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018382
Mobile Version of Website