Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
Tubeless. Lower pressure, feels better, fewer flats.

The thing I'm missing here is what do you mean by "lower pressure"?

My friends (let's talk about 75 kg) use to ride about 1.8 - 2.0 on the front 2.1 - 2.2 on the back. At the same time I find a lot of riders recommending 2.3 on the front 2.6 on the back.

Which one would you say is best?

If you are talking about pressure in BAR, 2.3 and 2.6 is definitely too high, like crazy high. 1.65 front, 1.75 back is the standard for me. I weight amost 90 Kg. i wouldn't run more than 1.8 front and 2 bar rear and these pressure would already be super high for me. 2 bar are roughly 29 psi.

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
CYkoCylces wrote:
Do you prefer riding tubed or tubeless tires on your DH bike and why?
Standard tubeless up front, ghetto tubeless in the rear. Real ghetto tubeless, with the split 20 inch tube. It's burp proof and doesn't lose air with rim dents.

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 20:15 Quote
ORTOGONAL555 wrote:
CYkoCylces wrote:
Do you prefer riding tubed or tubeless tires on your DH bike and why?
Standard tubeless up front, ghetto tubeless in the rear. Real ghetto tubeless, with the split 20 inch tube. It's burp proof and doesn't lose air with rim dents.

i literally have the same setup lmaoo

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
i just use like 4 or 5 layers of duct tape and no tubes or slime for the front.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
ORTOGONAL555 wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:
Tubeless. Lower pressure, feels better, fewer flats.

My friends (let's talk about 75 kg) use to ride about 1.8 - 2.0 on the front 2.1 - 2.2 on the back. At the same time I find a lot of riders recommending 2.3 on the front 2.6 on the back.

If you are talking about pressure in BAR, 2.3 and 2.6 is definitely too high, like crazy high. 1.65 front, 1.75 back is the standard for me. I weight amost 90 Kg. i wouldn't run more than 1.8 front and 2 bar rear and these pressure would already be super high for me. 2 bar are roughly 29 psi.

Sorry, it's a misconception from people here. We say 2.6 when we mean 26. I was talking in PSI.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 2:03 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ORTOGONAL555 wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Sorry, it's a misconception from people here. We say 2.6 when we mean 26. I was talking in PSI.
Yeah I imagined you were talking about psi

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
If you are not racing (or just occasionally) and mostly riding park, does it worth it to have a downhill bike or a new long travel enduro instead?

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
norfiril wrote:
If you are not racing (or just occasionally) and mostly riding park, does it worth it to have a downhill bike or a new long travel enduro instead?
Why not both

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 16:34 Quote
norfiril wrote:

I had a similar question, so this weekend I rented a Santa Cruz Nomad...it did not feel anything like a downhill bike too me. It may have needed to be set up better for me, or the Yari fork just isn’t a very Cush fork, I set the air pressure to give me 30% sag and I still had 2 cm of travel not being used, I was riding jumps and rough trails at mammoth mountain.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
norfiril wrote:

Yes. I ride park about 20 days a year so I have a downhill bike. I also have a 2018 specialized enduro. It's full carbon with ohlins suspension. I have the settings dialed and it's still nowhere near as comfortable or capable as the DH bike in the park . If you can only buy one bike I would get an Enduro. I wouldn't want a DH as my only bike.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
The honest answer is that it depends.

If you can only swing one bike a long travel Enduro unit is the way to go. This will be hard on the bike and it will require more service.

If you ride more then 5 park days a year but a dedicated dh bike.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 18:57 Quote
The honest answer is that it depends.

If you can only swing one bike a long travel Enduro unit is the way to go. This will be hard on the bike and it will require more service.

If you ride more then 5 park days a year but a dedicated dh bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
I think (at an average rider level) you can do it all with the enduro but I'm not as confident as with the DH rig.

This question bring to my head because in local trails and parks you can see an increasing number of riders replacing their DH bikes with new long travel enduro (specially 29ers). Also we had a trip to French Alps recently and I think that you can ride it all with an enduro (of course the bike will suffer more but still jump easier and can take tech trails), so I wanted to know your opinion.

Of course, I anyone can take the 2 bikes having both will be the correct answer but in my case I think one of them will stay at home depending on the time of the year.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:19 Quote
Can a LT Enduro do it all? Yes.
Can you hammer it like a dh bike? No.

From there it really depends on what you value and how aggressive you ride.
A lot of people switch to enduros for cost efficiency, as they just don´t get the mileage out of a dh bike that would justify the investment in their eyes.
However, even with a significant amount of park days a year, a dh bike is always a luxury item.
For the average rider it´s more of a confidence boost, safety net and/or a gain in comfort
You do not need one to get down any track.
You need it to get down a track FAST.

So if you´re out there just to ride your bike and don´t care about speed, you might as well safe some money and go LT enduro.
If however you´re the kind of guy who always feels like competing with your buddies and the fast guys in the park, or that you should have hammered through that rock garden just a little bit faster, then you should probably consider a dh bike.
I certainly could ride anything with my 180mm bike, but everytime i do, there´s that little voice in the back of my head telling me i could have gone faster/harder on the dh bike. So for me personally, that alone justifies owning a dh bike. It makes a park day more enjoyable to me, as i would feel like i´ve missed out on something with the smaller bike.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
I’m faster on the tracks here on my stumpjumper Evo than my old 18 Sworks demo.

Those 29 inch wheels are no joke.

I actually sold the demo due to lack of use after getting the stumpy.

About the only place it felt better was jumping into a rock garden at warp speed. Other than that stumpy took the win for me.

That been said, they both definately have their intended uses. The gap in the last year has been narrowed more than ever however. If you have the financial means to have both then it’s a no brainer. Also If you live near lift/shuttle serviced trails.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027599
Mobile Version of Website