Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 3:29 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Any suggestions for taking time off from riding? Second kiddo is coming on Friday and I'll be off two wheels for a month or so. Anything better than watching YouTube while sneaking in 30 minutes on the trainer in the basement?

Grab a dirt bike, go out, do few bunny hops, practice manual, maybe work on basic trials skills - you might progress even more this way, than doing usual laps on local trails.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
yzedf wrote:
Any suggestions for taking time off from riding? Second kiddo is coming on Friday and I'll be off two wheels for a month or so. Anything better than watching YouTube while sneaking in 30 minutes on the trainer in the basement?
Gym, running, calisthenics etc.
I usually only have time to ride in summer due to university "holidays" so from Oktober to June I only ride 5times max. sadly....I just do other activites in the late evening like going to the gym to stay in shape.

Good ideas, thank you.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 18:00 Quote
Alright so I cannot find any information online about this part swap. I have the new 2018 air sprung Boxxer sized for 27.5 wheels. I want to run a 29 inch wheel in the front and 27.5 in the rear to slacken my head angle and because the pros do it. so question here is, could I take the lowers of a Boxxer meant for 29 and swap out my 27.5 lowers ? i know what your thinking, why? well i dont have the money to buy a used 29" dual crown fork and buying a lower is a little easier on the wallet. now about the swap, possible different axle spacing such as boost on the new lower is fine with me because I am lacing up new wheels for this bike anyways. I also know the offset of both forks is 44mm so it shouldn't be a big deal should it? last thing is, is there any difference between the 29" and 27.5" stanchion length? will the 27.5 stanchions work with the 29" lower? will this swap reduce my travel any? any other complications from with swap that anyone can think of? Any other helpful information is welcomed

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
PaulFrance wrote:
Alright so I cannot find any information online about this part swap. I have the new 2018 air sprung Boxxer sized for 27.5 wheels. I want to run a 29 inch wheel in the front and 27.5 in the rear to slacken my head angle and because the pros do it. so question here is, could I take the lowers of a Boxxer meant for 29 and swap out my 27.5 lowers ? i know what your thinking, why? well i dont have the money to buy a used 29" dual crown fork and buying a lower is a little easier on the wallet. now about the swap, possible different axle spacing such as boost on the new lower is fine with me because I am lacing up new wheels for this bike anyways. I also know the offset of both forks is 44mm so it shouldn't be a big deal should it? last thing is, is there any difference between the 29" and 27.5" stanchion length? will the 27.5 stanchions work with the 29" lower? will this swap reduce my travel any? any other complications from with swap that anyone can think of? Any other helpful information is welcomed
Some forks use a different crown assembly for larger wheels, if you can find the pats schematic for both a 27.5 and 29 form you can compare part numbers and see what changes between the two wheel sizes.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
Habaden wrote:
What DH helmet do you guys recommend for under $300?
I use TLD Stage for the second season now. No troubles at all. MIPS certified. Super comfortable even with my quite huge beard. Looks cool and you stay cool. A very solid choice IMO.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
pwinters wrote:
Habaden wrote:
I use TLD Stage for the second season now. No troubles at all. MIPS certified. Super comfortable even with my quite huge beard. Looks cool and you stay cool. A very solid choice IMO.
Mips isn't a certification.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 21:11 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
pwinters wrote:
Habaden wrote:
Mips isn't a certification.
The Stage is also not really a DH helmet.

I've seen the old Fox Rampage Pro Carbon on closeout for under $300.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 7:00 Quote
I have a weird question. Does anyone know where I can get a Bluegrass helmet? Their website says they don't ship to the USA. I'd really like to get my hands on one. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
codeman189 wrote:
I have a weird question. Does anyone know where I can get a Bluegrass helmet? Their website says they don't ship to the USA. I'd really like to get my hands on one. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chainreaction has them

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
codeman189 wrote:

Chainreaction has them
Really?! I'll have another look. I have been looking on Chainreaction but haven't seen them. Thanks.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
I just mounted a regular non ust maxxis dhf to my mavic ust rim. It seated and held air for about 2mins.

Can I put sealant in and run it? Or will
It just leak air still?

I really don’t want to run a tube and its a 26” tire and its real hard to find em so I was hoping to use this one

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 21:07 Quote
Why doesn't it seem like many of the pro riders aren't wearing neck braces anymore? Felt like a few years back A LOT more pros were rocking them.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Why doesn't it seem like many of the pro riders aren't wearing neck braces anymore? Felt like a few years back A LOT more pros were rocking them.

Lot's of broken collar bones from crashes that likely would not of affected your neck.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
I just mounted a regular non ust maxxis dhf to my mavic ust rim. It seated and held air for about 2mins.

Can I put sealant in and run it? Or will
It just leak air still?

I really don’t want to run a tube and its a 26” tire and its real hard to find em so I was hoping to use this one

I always use non UST tyres as tubless with sealant with no problems, aslong as they are dual ply I run them as tubeless.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:

Because Leatt ran out of sponsoring money and/or isn´t throwing them at athletes anymore would be my guess.
Always remember, these guys get paid to wear stuff and while it may seem worthwhile to still use a protection item regardless of sponsoring if it´s worth using, most of these guys ditch any but the bare minimum of protection to gain less impaired movement. And braces cause a lot of movement restriction, so i can see pros moving away from them for that reason alone.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020143
Mobile Version of Website