Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Izakish wrote:
sup guys!

I'm in search of a good dh flat pedal below $100, I'm currently riding a large stamp7, have ridden stamp 3 and did not like them.
I tend to move my feet a lot and the pins make it very difficult to adjust them, I feel like a fish outta water if I don't feel the pedal underneath the ball of my foot. I wear a five10 freeride size 9.
I would appreciate if you guys can give me suggestions, thanks!
Get clips if you want float

This. ^

After years of only riding clipless for mtbing going back to flat pedals on my dj/4x rig made me realize how much more you can control your bike and how it's weighted/ unweighted with clipless. You have to be much more "weighted" on flat pedals. Not really a disadvantage unless you're racing imo.

How Sam Hill is so legendary at gnarly sections blows my mind even more now.

But for under $100 it might be worth browsing the used section so your $ can go a lot further. Seems like the REAL good flats now are just over $100

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 4:38 Quote
Izakish wrote:
sup guys!

I'm in search of a good dh flat pedal below $100, I'm currently riding a large stamp7, have ridden stamp 3 and did not like them.
I tend to move my feet a lot and the pins make it very difficult to adjust them, I feel like a fish outta water if I don't feel the pedal underneath the ball of my foot. I wear a five10 freeride size 9.

Raceface Chester might be what you’re looking for

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 5:23 Quote
The oneup flats are good and right around 50$

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
Burgtec composites are decent abd cheap

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
Hi all,

I have decided to go with dmr v12 mag, they go for $75, it's concave and doesn't have pins in the mid, avoiding pressure points.I liked the oneup comp but I rather metal over composite plus the pins are easier to adjust.
I have tried clip long time ago and didn't like it, I like to be able to take my foot out quick when needed.
thanks for your help guys! Peace!

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
Just don’t let em see salty road grit

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Just don’t let em see salty road grit
yeah, they are not strong, but I avoid rocky trails anyways, I ride park mostly jump trails. I am only going for mag because the pins seems to be better, on the alloy ones the pins are black and get rusty.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Izakish wrote:
sup guys!

This. ^

After years of only riding clipless for mtbing going back to flat pedals on my dj/4x rig made me realize how much more you can control your bike and how it's weighted/ unweighted with clipless. You have to be much more "weighted" on flat pedals. Not really a disadvantage unless you're racing imo.

But for under $100 it might be worth browsing the used section so your $ can go a lot further. Seems like the REAL good flats now are just over $100

I'm around 110lbs, when i rode flats i used to get kicked off the pedals especially on big gravity trails or tech trails and i felt like i couldn't stop it from happening. Ever since i started riding cleats (about 2.5 years ago) my confidence has grown very fast because i'm not losing my pedals all the time and i'm able to go fast as hell on tech trails without getting my feet catapulted off them flats, same on gravity or really any trail.

I think it comes down to the lack of fear of getting knocked off them, i know for sure i'm gonna stay planted on the bike, and getting them off is very easy. I catched flat pedals on my shin all the time!

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
Izakish wrote:
Hi all,

I have decided to go with dmr v12 mag, they go for $75, it's concave and doesn't have pins in the mid, avoiding pressure points.I liked the oneup comp but I rather metal over composite plus the pins are easier to adjust.
I have tried clip long time ago and didn't like it, I like to be able to take my foot out quick when needed.
thanks for your help guys! Peace!

Maybe you tried the wrong pedals? The cleats for my Crankbros mallet dh are a tad tight to get off when they're new but once you break them in they're as easy to get off as a flat, at least for me since i've been riding them for years, very long lasting pedals too! Over 2.5 years of constant shredding the bearings are starting to feel weird but still going strong.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

This. ^

I'm around 110lbs, when i rode flats i used to get kicked off the pedals especially on big gravity trails or tech trails and i felt like i couldn't stop it from happening. Ever since i started riding cleats (about 2.5 years ago) my confidence has grown very fast because i'm not losing my pedals all the time and i'm able to go fast as hell on tech trails without getting my feet catapulted off them flats, same on gravity or really any trail.

I think it comes down to the lack of fear of getting knocked off them, i know for sure i'm gonna stay planted on the bike, and getting them off is very easy. I catched flat pedals on my shin all the time!
getting kicked off of the pedals is probably from lack of technique.

Do you pull up on the clips to bunnyhop too?

If you learn to ride flats it will help your bike control quite a lot.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 18:09 Quote
Nobble wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

This. ^

i've been riding flats ever since i started mtbing. And yes i can do a bunny hop without cleats, i can ride ok on flats but i always felt so loose on the pedals, not meaning side to side grip but it felt like my feet could just separate up from the pedals, idk maybe i'm a bad rider lol but i love my cleats haha

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:

i've been riding flats ever since i started mtbing. And yes i can do a bunny hop without cleats, i can ride ok on flats but i always felt so loose on the pedals, not meaning side to side grip but it felt like my feet could just separate up from the pedals, idk maybe i'm a bad rider lol but i love my cleats haha
Drop your heals, with good shoes you should feel more planted while on flats.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 20:59 Quote
For what it's worth, I came off clips to flats mid-season a few years back, and it was very noticeable how easily I got kicked off my pedals. Couple of rides later it all came back, haven't been on the clips since.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 2:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Drop your heals, with good shoes you should feel more planted while on flats.
Nope, clips all the way, unless it's steep and very muddy. What I'm saying is that in the winter in Wales I ride flats lol

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 3:57 Quote
Flats all the way. Clips are for roadies.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027527
Mobile Version of Website