Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
kwapik wrote:
Yes, there is the original 20x110 and there is the new 20x110 boost. Probably what you are running in to.

I’ve never seen this before but have been curious what was going on. Thank you for sharing!

I've been pretty ignorant to the whole boost thing as my bikes have all had ' normal ' standards.

In the picture it shows the brake mounts in a different location on the boost, are there boost specific forks too ?

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
bigburd wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
kwapik wrote:
Yes, there is the original 20x110 and there is the new 20x110 boost. Probably what you are running in to.

I’ve never seen this before but have been curious what was going on. Thank you for sharing!

I've been pretty ignorant to the whole boost thing as my bikes have all had ' normal ' standards.

In the picture it shows the brake mounts in a different location on the boost, are there boost specific forks too ?
Yes.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
Hi new here ... what are the nationwide options for Shuttle/lift DH winter? I live in southern California and the local lift mountains are closed for bikes. I’ve heard great things about windrock in Tennessee and maybe even spider mountain in Texas. Don’t want to ride uphill, just want to enjoy the gravity, appreciate the advice and recommendations!

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
Epsorenson wrote:
Hi new here ... what are the nationwide options for Shuttle/lift DH winter? I live in southern California and the local lift mountains are closed for bikes. I’ve heard great things about windrock in Tennessee and maybe even spider mountain in Texas. Don’t want to ride uphill, just want to enjoy the gravity, appreciate the advice and recommendations!

Bailey in NC

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Hi,

Riding my Fox 40 - X2 coil combo for 2 years now and love it. Some friends are riding the Ohlins TTX and Dh38 fork and saying it outperforms Fox by far.

Just out for curiosity, is that really true? Maybe it could be an option to consider on the future..

Even when I love Ohlins suspensions on motorbikes, every time I see the TTX shock I wonder how it is realesed with only 3 positions for setup.

More adjustment doesnt mean better. Honestly i find most things out perform the 40.

I agree that not necessarily more adjustability means better, neither worse.

I ride Fox because came standard with the bike and, for me, the performance is good. My question is not from a brand fanboy point of view, just out for curiosity and for knowing more options in case of a future replacement

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
Anyone know where to buy 26” 2.5 minion tubeless?

Or have they been discontinued?

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Anyone know where to buy 26” 2.5 minion tubeless?

Or have they been discontinued?

I have a bunch of 26" tubeless DH tires laying around now that my DH bike is running 27.5. Some used DHF's included in that, be willing to let them go for cheap.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
What would you guys say is the ultimate park geo/ linkage, doing a school project for building a bike ( I've built one before, not as advanced as this though) but wanting to build a full sus as it ticks all the boxes for the standard I'm doing

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 14:49 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
What would you guys say is the ultimate park geo/ linkage, doing a school project for building a bike ( I've built one before, not as advanced as this though) but wanting to build a full sus as it ticks all the boxes for the standard I'm doing
It is very much rider dependent, somebody who spends their park days on steep Rocky rooty take will prefer something different to somebody who does mega whips on jump trails, a lanky mother f*cker will prefer more reach compared to a dude nicknamed stumpy.

For me I tend to prefer Horst link and high forward single pivots that are fairly linear throughout the travel with some natural progression in the last 3rd of the travel. I think a ~460 mm reach and 63° head angle are ideal, the rest of the geo is very dependent on wheel size.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 0:31 Quote
Epsorenson wrote:
I just rode spider mountain a couple weeks ago. Small mountain and slow lift, but I wasn’t pedalling uphill so that’s good. Just a few trails but can get pretty loose at speeds. Some good wood work on their advanced trail. It’s an 8 minute chair ride for probably a two minute down. I would definitely go back if I’m in the area again.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 1:31 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
Epsorenson wrote:
I just rode spider mountain a couple weeks ago. Small mountain and slow lift, but I wasn’t pedalling uphill so that’s good. Just a few trails but can get pretty loose at speeds. Some good wood work on their advanced trail. It’s an 8 minute chair ride for probably a two minute down. I would definitely go back if I’m in the area again.

A lot of SoCal guys head out to bootleg canyon near vegas in the winter. They do a winter gravity fest with a bunch of bike demos in November and a race series Jan through March. But I am pretty sure you can get a shuttle through all mountain cyclery any weekend. They also have guides available. Very fun place to ride with any level you want. They have some great super d style trails and some super gnarly dh lines.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
Hi all, I have seen that some riders are using grip tape on their cranks and just wondered why?! I used to ride and race DH many years ago before switching back to BMX racing, but just got another DH bike to ride/race along with my daughter so just thought I would ask. All the best, Chris.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 7:07 Quote
wingman2 wrote:
Hi all, I have seen that some riders are using grip tape on their cranks and just wondered why?! I used to ride and race DH many years ago before switching back to BMX racing, but just got another DH bike to ride/race along with my daughter so just thought I would ask. All the best, Chris.
To stop the finish from wearing away I’d presume

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
If you are just worried about the finish wearing away there are many clear options that won't shred your shoes/socks/pants up, so not sure why any one would use it for anything other than improving grip somehow. I have seen freestyle riders use it on sides of the cranks in case they miss the pedals on tricks but never seen it on the face. Also if it is for grip purposes it would only be effective when the foot is dropped.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018683
Mobile Version of Website