Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
I believe he's referring to the new SRAM XO DH crank which has what appears to be grip tape on it to protect it::

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sack-javage wrote:
What would you guys say is the ultimate park geo/ linkage, doing a school project for building a bike ( I've built one before, not as advanced as this though) but wanting to build a full sus as it ticks all the boxes for the standard I'm doing
It is very much rider dependent, somebody who spends their park days on steep Rocky rooty take will prefer something different to somebody who does mega whips on jump trails, a lanky mother f*cker will prefer more reach compared to a dude nicknamed stumpy.

For me I tend to prefer Horst link and high forward single pivots that are fairly linear throughout the travel with some natural progression in the last 3rd of the travel. I think a ~460 mm reach and 63° head angle are ideal, the rest of the geo is very dependent on wheel size.

Yeah fair enough aye, was mostly Thinking something more for jumps over tech ig, I should of specified that. I was thinking about a 26/27 wheel set too

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 18:16 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I believe he's referring to the new SRAM XO DH crank which has what appears to be grip tape on it to protect it::

looks more like bedliner than griptape.

Some riders wear the shit out of their cranks from pinching their feet together. I know a guy who blows through shoes and wore into the carbon on his sixc cranks.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 18:44 Quote
Yeah, definitely not grip tape but proabably a polymer like rhino lining. I can see how one would think it's grip tape though. Actual grip tape would destroy shoes so fast.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 19:26 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
sack-javage wrote:
What would you guys say is the ultimate park geo/ linkage, doing a school project for building a bike ( I've built one before, not as advanced as this though) but wanting to build a full sus as it ticks all the boxes for the standard I'm doing
It is very much rider dependent, somebody who spends their park days on steep Rocky rooty take will prefer something different to somebody who does mega whips on jump trails, a lanky mother f*cker will prefer more reach compared to a dude nicknamed stumpy.

For me I tend to prefer Horst link and high forward single pivots that are fairly linear throughout the travel with some natural progression in the last 3rd of the travel. I think a ~460 mm reach and 63° head angle are ideal, the rest of the geo is very dependent on wheel size.

Yeah fair enough aye, was mostly Thinking something more for jumps over tech ig, I should of specified that. I was thinking about a 26/27 wheel set too

I say screw it and just go 24/29

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 20:21 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
chinaboy wrote:
Epsorenson wrote:
Hi new here ... what are the nationwide options for Shuttle/lift DH winter? I live in southern California and the local lift mountains are closed for bikes. I’ve heard great things about windrock in Tennessee and maybe even spider mountain in Texas. Don’t want to ride uphill, just want to enjoy the gravity, appreciate the advice and recommendations!
I just rode spider mountain a couple weeks ago. Small mountain and slow lift, but I wasn’t pedalling uphill so that’s good. Just a few trails but can get pretty loose at speeds. Some good wood work on their advanced trail. It’s an 8 minute chair ride for probably a two minute down. I would definitely go back if I’m in the area again.

A lot of SoCal guys head out to bootleg canyon near vegas in the winter. They do a winter gravity fest with a bunch of bike demos in November and a race series Jan through March. But I am pretty sure you can get a shuttle through all mountain cyclery any weekend. They also have guides available. Very fun place to ride with any level you want. They have some great super d style trails and some super gnarly dh lines.

I second bootleg canyon. They do run the shuttle every weekend or you can shuttle yourself. The park is free. Always a good fun casual bunch of locals and out of towners when I go there. The locals will be happy to show you around. Wear your armor cause that place will bite back pretty hard, it's all jagged rock and cactus

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:
chinaboy wrote:
I just rode spider mountain a couple weeks ago. Small mountain and slow lift, but I wasn’t pedalling uphill so that’s good. Just a few trails but can get pretty loose at speeds. Some good wood work on their advanced trail. It’s an 8 minute chair ride for probably a two minute down. I would definitely go back if I’m in the area again.

A lot of SoCal guys head out to bootleg canyon near vegas in the winter. They do a winter gravity fest with a bunch of bike demos in November and a race series Jan through March. But I am pretty sure you can get a shuttle through all mountain cyclery any weekend. They also have guides available. Very fun place to ride with any level you want. They have some great super d style trails and some super gnarly dh lines.

I second bootleg canyon. They do run the shuttle every weekend or you can shuttle yourself. The park is free. Always a good fun casual bunch of locals and out of towners when I go there. The locals will be happy to show you around. Wear your armor cause that place will bite back pretty hard, it's all jagged rock and cactus
bootleg is the spot!

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
Any one got a good recommendation for some knee/shin guards under or around 80$? Mainly looking for them to fit underneath dh or moto pants and not slide around while pedaling, and also somewhat breathable but not a top priority.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 22:54 Quote
Owensven wrote:
Any one got a good recommendation for some knee/shin guards under or around 80$? Mainly looking for them to fit underneath dh or moto pants and not slide around while pedaling, and also somewhat breathable but not a top priority.
Troy Lee speed sleeves. Love them under my tld sprint pants. Don’t slide down or anything.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 2:09 Quote
Taane wrote:
shittymano?

I take Saints brakes over SRAM crap brakes any day.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 4:35 Quote
Owensven wrote:

I've been running the 7 idp sam hill knee/shin guards. I love them. Great lower leg protection for when I ride bike parks. Set and forget, once you put them on they stay put on pedally days. I sometimes forget I'm wearing them. I think they were 70-75bucks

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Nobble wrote:
freerider11 wrote:

looks more like bedliner than griptape.

Some riders wear the shit out of their cranks from pinching their feet together. I know a guy who blows through shoes and wore into the carbon on his sixc cranks.

I can leave a brand new set of cranks polished by the end of a wet weekend, my left ankle was fixed back up in a wonky position so i eat crank arms for breakfast.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
Owensven wrote:

I like my IXS Cleaver knee guards....

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 1:14 Quote
Best dh tyre for mixed conditions what’s your preferred choice and why

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 2:43 Quote
WhippinCrazy wrote:
Best dh tyre for mixed conditions what’s your preferred choice and why

Magic Mary

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012849
Mobile Version of Website