Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 4:20 Quote
Whats the deal with 2.8 tires.

Normally have only run 2.5. Are 2.8’s slow rolling but more grip?

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Whats the deal with 2.8 tires.

Normally have only run 2.5. Are 2.8’s slow rolling but more grip?
no they're plus tires. Specially designed for bad riders.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
Plus are a royal pita for setting up pressures and gaining tears in sidewalls plus are no good for sloppy winters!

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
Haha cool thanks guys. I will stick with my go to 2.5

Does anyone ride 2.3 for downhill? Or is that more for enduro bikes?

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
Thepureface wrote:

Ehh most Enduro bro's run 2.5, 2.3 is a weight weenie xc thing.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

Ehh most Enduro bro's run 2.5, 2.3 is a weight weenie xc thing.

It all depends on what you use them for. I run 2.5WT's on my enduro bike because it stays on the ground. I'm looking for speed through maximizing grip. I run 2.4/2.3 on my DH bike, but it's set up for freeride and I spend most of my time on it on jump lines. If I was a tech rider or racing 2.5's would make more sense. Use the size that best fits your application.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
Thepureface wrote:

Depending on tire brand a 2.5 tire could be narrower than a 2.3. Maxxis tires are pretty narrow, I've seen mounted kenda 2.3 next to maxxis 2.5 and the kenda looked bigger.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

Depending on tire brand a 2.5 tire could be narrower than a 2.3. Maxxis tires are pretty narrow, I've seen mounted kenda 2.3 next to maxxis 2.5 and the kenda looked bigger.

Definitely. A Maxxis 2.5 (non-WT) is narrower than both e13 and Schwable 2.35's.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
I run 2.3 butcher DH, I find big 2.5's too big to leave on as a year round tyre as they give me the feeling on sitting ontop of the mud in winter, rather than cutting through it with 2.3's, no problems with rim dings or anything in summer.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
Exactly bigburd- there’s a reason why mud spikes are of narrower width :-)

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
Alright thanks for the info guys

more questions, how long does a chain last on a dh bike and when to know/when should I change my chain?

Also I ride an old demo 8 2012 model with a pretty low bottom bracket.

I currently have a 30T sprocket and my bike runs out of gearing on the downs once in awhile.

Whats the smallest rear casette sprocket size I can get for a 10speed?

Do you guys think I could run a bigger sprocket without hitting it off shit? Is there some sort of recommended size for dh bikes? (26”)

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
Thepureface wrote:

more questions, how long does a chain last on a dh bike and when to know/when should I change my chain?

I currently have a 30T sprocket and my bike runs out of gearing on the downs once in awhile.

Do you guys think I could run a bigger sprocket without hitting it off shit? Is there some sort of recommended size for dh bikes? (26”)

Chain can last for like a year I would say if you keep it good lubed, when you start getting unsmooth shifting this can be a sign of wear of the chain.

Your bike runs out of gears on the downs? You do know that at a certain speed you don't have to pedal anymore.

Your last question about a bigger sprocket check your bike manual. They normally state what is the maximum size you can go. For example my Gambler maximum size for cassette is 34t.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
@kylar @yzedf good to know, thanks guys!

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
Thepureface wrote:

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
Everyone should buy a chain checking tool. They’re super cheap and will save you money in the long run on the cost of replacement drivetrains.

Also 30t on a dh bike is way too small. I ran a 36 on my 2012 demo and it was fine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015319
Mobile Version of Website