Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Author Message
Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
meebo wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
meebo wrote:


I already have mountain bike but its hard to ride it in the forrest or on bumpy roads so i think of DH yea or thinking its best idea to buy it.

That's not what dh bikes are for.
They are meant to be ridden in the bike park and on dedicated trails or race tracks. If you wanna just ride around your local area on bumpy roads or on simple trails, it's not what you want.

So Endoru bikes should be good for that ?
No a trail bike is good for that. A enduro bike is also for racing and doing hard trails that are downhill like what you've described makes a trail bike or a better hardtail a good option for you

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Does anybody run the fox flexair full length pads? (or similar)


I'm keen to give trousers a try but not sure what to do about knee pads?


I have the fox launch pro D3O knee pads, which I like a lot, but they are relatively chunky. With the fox pants being quite fitted I can imagine the knee pads looking kinda dumb worn underneath them and I can also imagine it getting real sweaty under there.

Do people go for lower profile knee pads when wearing pants? Or do they fit under better than I think they will?


Pls advise

I have the Troy Lee Kgl5450 knee pads and they work really well under pants. But yes I do think most people run a little lower profile under pants.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Does anybody run the fox flexair full length pads? (or similar)


I'm keen to give trousers a try but not sure what to do about knee pads?


I have the fox launch pro D3O knee pads, which I like a lot, but they are relatively chunky. With the fox pants being quite fitted I can imagine the knee pads looking kinda dumb worn underneath them and I can also imagine it getting real sweaty under there.


Do people go for lower profile knee pads when wearing pants? Or do they fit under better than I think they will?


Pls advise

I use Raceface D30 Flank knee/shin pads under my Endura Trousers, the get a little warm but full range of movement. I wouldn't be downspec-ing my pads just to make them fit under slim pants!

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
Yep my kneepads have always fit fine under my mx pants. Admittedly I wear shorts riding DH

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Does anybody run the fox flexair full length pads? (or similar)


I'm keen to give trousers a try but not sure what to do about knee pads?


I have the fox launch pro D3O knee pads, which I like a lot, but they are relatively chunky. With the fox pants being quite fitted I can imagine the knee pads looking kinda dumb worn underneath them and I can also imagine it getting real sweaty under there.


Do people go for lower profile knee pads when wearing pants? Or do they fit under better than I think they will?


Pls advise

I run the normal fox launch under my specialized demo trousers and it’s fine. It might look slightly odd if you were walking down the street but who’s actually judging what you look like when you ride?
Also I’d suggest the Specialized trousers over the fox as they seem a lot better quality but are still quite fitted and stretchy

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:

I run the normal fox launch under my specialized demo trousers and it’s fine. It might look slightly odd if you were walking down the street but who’s actually judging what you look like when you ride?

When you spend £150-£200 on a riding kit it's nice if it actually looks half decent and you feel the business in it. Don't want to spend all that money and look like knee man

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Does anybody run the fox flexair full length pants? (or similar)


I'm keen to give trousers a try but not sure what to do about knee pads?


I have the fox launch pro D3O knee pads, which I like a lot, but they are relatively chunky. With the fox pants being quite fitted I can imagine the knee pads looking kinda dumb worn underneath them and I can also imagine it getting real sweaty under there.


Do people go for lower profile knee pads when wearing pants? Or do they fit under better than I think they will?


Pls advise

I have the Fox Demo DH pants. They are made with a little more room in the knee area. I wear (full size) Ion k-pact knee pads under there with no issues.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
I wear Scott Grenade with my fox pants. The grenade are pretty bulky. The fit is pretty tight with them. but IMHO not too noticeable while walking around, barely noticeable when on the bike. Same goes for optics. A little slimmer might be cool, but it does work fine as it is for me and I prefer the extra coverage.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 16:35 Quote
tom666 wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

I run the normal fox launch under my specialized demo trousers and it’s fine. It might look slightly odd if you were walking down the street but who’s actually judging what you look like when you ride?

When you spend £150-£200 on a riding kit it's nice if it actually looks half decent and you feel the business in it. Don't want to spend all that money and look like knee man

Jeans. Hose them off with the pressure washer. Pockets. Suck on a hot swampy day though.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 23:59 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Jeans. Hose them off with the pressure washer. Pockets. Suck on a hot swampy day though.

Every. Single. Thing. You said here is bad advice

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
tom666 wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

I run the normal fox launch under my specialized demo trousers and it’s fine. It might look slightly odd if you were walking down the street but who’s actually judging what you look like when you ride?

When you spend £150-£200 on a riding kit it's nice if it actually looks half decent and you feel the business in it. Don't want to spend all that money and look like knee man

I agree but I think the Specialized demos look quite classy compared to some of the fox stuff

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
shoshy wrote:
yzedf wrote:
Jeans. Hose them off with the pressure washer. Pockets. Suck on a hot swampy day though.

Every. Single. Thing. You said here is bad advice

Buy whatever you want. Doesn’t have to be whatever is fashionable. Doesn’t have to be free advertising for someone either. For dh you’ll see me in dh shorts, dh pants or jeans. All work well at certain times. All fit great with the same knee pads on.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
yzedf wrote:
shoshy wrote:
yzedf wrote:
Jeans. Hose them off with the pressure washer. Pockets. Suck on a hot swampy day though.

Every. Single. Thing. You said here is bad advice

Buy whatever you want. Doesn’t have to be whatever is fashionable. Doesn’t have to be free advertising for someone either. For dh you’ll see me in dh shorts, dh pants or jeans. All work well at certain times. All fit great with the same knee pads on.

Yessir. Jeans are good for abrasion protection and an old pair of jeans has downhill pants beat by at least a hundred bucks. Wear knee pads on top of skinny jeans for extra bonus fashion points. Once they get wet the fun is over tho haha

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
Hence..... bad advice.


Most of my Dh days are slop filled, mud fests

I could never do jeans for riding, unless street rides, personally.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
fredro wrote:
Hence..... bad advice.


Most of my Dh days are slop filled, mud fests

I could never do jeans for riding, unless street rides, personally.
I've done it, whole not nearly as good as a proper pair of pants they do keep you fairly clean and almost always clean up well.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010611
Mobile Version of Website