Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
dan151 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a full set of decent bearings for a 2018 Al canyon sender?

From Canyon.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
dan151 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a full set of decent bearings for a 2018 Al canyon sender?

From Canyon.
Alternatively you could disassemble the linkage and scope out the bearing numbers and order them from your favorite bearing supply place.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
dan151 wrote:

Kineticbikebearings or mtbbearings are both uk

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
Had to put new tyres on the 26" DH bike, as I was short of cash I went with DHF and DHR but i got them in 2.35inches. I normally ride 2.5 magic Mary on my DH bike so i thought 0.15inches wont make a lot of difference.
I put them on and it looks like i have cyclo cross tyres on!! They really are a lot skinnier. Is it all in my mind as I used to ride 2.1inches and never had a problem. Is it just the effect of coming from 2.5 and it's all in my mind? Am I going to die in the first corner or rock garden?
Should I just ride or swap the front for a more substantial tyre?
when comparing brands go with the etro numbers for a better idea of actual size, (54-559) on sidewall for example 54 is width in mm and 559 is rim bead diameter, this won't change for same rim sizes.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
dan151 wrote:

Kineticbikebearings or mtbbearings are both uk

Cheers bud

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
What do you guys think of me
Running a 27.5 wheel in the front of my 26” demo 8?

My only reason is ( you probably remember) finding tires is brutal.

I don’t want a new bike, I really really like my demo it so playful I’ve even taken it to dirt jumps

Will it f*ck my bike up and make it ride weird and be a stupid idea?

Zink metioned it on an instagram post and it got me thinking how I could make my few sets of 26” tires last a few years...

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
What do you guys think of me
Running a 27.5 wheel in the front of my 26” demo 8?

My only reason is ( you probably remember) finding tires is brutal.

I don’t want a new bike, I really really like my demo it so playful I’ve even taken it to dirt jumps

Will it f*ck my bike up and make it ride weird and be a stupid idea?

Zink metioned it on an instagram post and it got me thinking how I could make my few sets of 26” tires last a few years...

It'll change the ride characteristics a little bit but it's not going to hurt it. Your stack height will go up a bit and you'll rake out the front end by half a degree. There are ways to adjust, with stack height and anglesets. There's only one way to find out.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
I did that with my 14 Devinci Wilson and it worked really well.

Damn I miss that bike. I’ve spent so much on bikes since then and never had that same feeling of confidence that bike gave me. It was very small for a large though and the longer new gen bikes were a better fit but that rear suspension platform was magic.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
Hey all, I'm currently getting into DH and have purchased my first bike! Unfortunately I found a crack in the rear triangle while cleaning my bike recently so obviously it needs replacing! I'm struggling to source a rear triangle so any help would be appreciated as to where I can buy one! Thx

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
Jgreg97 wrote:
Hey all, I'm currently getting into DH and have purchased my first bike! Unfortunately I found a crack in the rear triangle while cleaning my bike recently so obviously it needs replacing! I'm struggling to source a rear triangle so any help would be appreciated as to where I can buy one! Thx
What bike is it?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
Oops that'd help.. it's an 07 Santa Cruz v10.2

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
Jgreg97 wrote:
Contact your local SC dealer about crash replacement. You're very unlikely to find a replacement.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 21:37 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Jgreg97 wrote:
Contact your local SC dealer about crash replacement. You're very unlikely to find a replacement.

Already have man, they're discontinued

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 22:46 Quote
Jgreg97 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Jgreg97 wrote:

Already have man, they're discontinued
Santa Cruz offers crash replacement on damaged frames that are discontinued, they should offer you a deep discount on a modern equivalent. I've seen some pretty wild things get approved on that front.

If this doesn't fly you have two options, one far better then the other but neither are great.

Option 1 is to find a second hand replacement in good condition, this will likely be very challenging but it does provide you the most solid option.

Option 2 is to have your broken unit repaired, there are several issues with this. In order for the repair to be completed properly the part must be stripped of all finished and cleaned to almost surgical standard's, it must then be annealed, welded, re-heat treated and painted. This process is incredibly time consuming and most shops aren't equipped to complete repairs like this. If it is completely poorly the weld will be weaker then it is currently.

Realistically aluminum frames work harden as you ride them which causes them to become more and more brittle in the near weld area resulting in an increased likelihood of cracking. Generally speaking you can get about 7 seasons out of an aluminum frame before it has reached the end of it's service life. Best case scenario your bike was sold as NOS in 2009 and was ridden lightly every season since your still looking at something that crossed the best before date in 2016...

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
Last night I bought a 2017 identiti Mogul DH bike, it has a 7.5" rockshox vivid rear coil shock, I'm a bit heavy for this spring and I'm sitting around 50-60% sag lol.. As it isn't air, I'm gonna need a more harder spring. Please can someone help me with understanding spring sizes and lbs etc please?

For example 300x8.5, 8.5"x2.5" etc etc.. I just do not understand this lol

My spring currently is marked with (300X2.75)
Please if someone can guide me on getting the right spring for this shock, that'd be absolutely great! (I'm about 14 stone / about 90kg in weight)

Thanks in advance!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010223
Mobile Version of Website