Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
350 has a more solid engagement imo, and because of the different generations of Hope hubs there are weird incompatible floating parts out there. Just for the features and weight that hope brings to the table you can either get the same out of the nicer shimano hubs or hell even Novatech. OR just find some king or i9 used.

Also the Hope tech videos often leave out something kinda crucial or are just badly done.
aren't DT hubs like 18poe without the upgrade? Once you upgrade them the cost goes up, and the reliability goes down.

Hope are popular because they come in colors, have good engagement, have good long-term support, aren't made in China, and are well priced.

Novatech is catalog crap, and Shimano are loose ball.

IMO Hope make the best hubs at their price point by a long shot.

This. Another point, everywhere has spare parts for them.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 23:47 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
350 has a more solid engagement imo, and because of the different generations of Hope hubs there are weird incompatible floating parts out there. Just for the features and weight that hope brings to the table you can either get the same out of the nicer shimano hubs or hell even Novatech. OR just find some king or i9 used.

Also the Hope tech videos often leave out something kinda crucial or are just badly done.
aren't DT hubs like 18poe without the upgrade? Once you upgrade them the cost goes up, and the reliability goes down.

Hope are popular because they come in colors, have good engagement, have good long-term support, aren't made in China, and are well priced.

Novatech is catalog crap, and Shimano are loose ball.

IMO Hope make the best hubs at their price point by a long shot.

I upgraded my DT350 to 54t, no issues what so ever.

Quality of DT hubs are far better then Hope hubs.
Only thing Hope got are colors.

Hope are not reliable and need frequent maintance. DT are almost maintenance free, just like CK hubs.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
Upgradeitis hits again Big Grin I've been offered a sweet deal for an as new 2015 kashima RC4 with SLS Spring, is the small shaft version much better than my old fat one, or should I just send my one to TF to be pushed

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 12:21 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Upgradeitis hits again Big Grin I've been offered a sweet deal for an as new 2015 kashima RC4 with SLS Spring, is the small shaft version much better than my old fat one, or should I just send my one to TF to be pushed
It depends on the bike. In a progressive bike the fat shaft kinda sucks. In a very linear one it might be preferrable.
The good small shaft ones have written "Air Assist Rate" on the blue piggyback adjuster whereas the older, not so great ones have "Bottom out Adjust Rate" on it.
As to what a PUSH upgrade can do for each version, best to ask TF.
The small shaft "Air Assist" RC4 is an awesome shock on it´s own though, so with a good deal i´d probably take that, ride it and then get it upgraded along with the regular service after the season.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
What's better about a 350? They're more expensive than a hope hub if you include the upgrade kit and they're not all that much lighter. Hope is pretty good about spare part availability. Seems like kinda a toss up to me. I'd go for hope for the pretty colors, simply cause I don't have to upgrade the engagement and it's otherwise kind of a toss up.

Cheaper doesn’t mean better

Pays ya money ...

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
Dhracer97 wrote:
WHATS DH I DUNNO tup

I think your trolling but it's a biking discipline where you only go downhill. Downhill bikes are usually tougher and heavier than regular mountain bikes.They usually have a dual crown fork for strength and have 200mm of suspension or more

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
Ilovedirtjumpingnotherstuff wrote:
Dhracer97 wrote:
WHATS DH I DUNNO tup

I think your trolling but it's a biking discipline where you only go downhill. Downhill bikes are usually tougher and heavier than regular mountain bikes.They usually have a dual crown fork for strength and have 200mm of suspension or more

You just quoted something 8 years old to imply they were trolling.

HMM.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 9:49 Quote
Im looking at buying a 27.5 front wheel for my dh bike that is 26”.

Just got a new dorado so am able to fit the 27.5.

Im super confused with the tyre sizes. I am thinking I want a 30mm internal rim dt swiss e532 as well as a dhf WT 2.5.

My question is would a wide rim and wide trail tyre be okay with my rear tire which is an older 729 rim with a narrow internal width and a regular 2.5 dhf?

Maybe Im overthinking it but I want to make sure Im getting a good setup.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
Thepureface wrote:

Im super confused with the tyre sizes. I am thinking I want a 30mm internal rim dt swiss e532 as well as a dhf WT 2.5.

My question is would a wide rim and wide trail tyre be okay with my rear tire which is an older 729 rim with a narrow internal width and a regular 2.5 dhf?

I run 729's and regular 2.5 dhf's on my DH bike. I run 2.5WT dhf's on 31mm rims on my enduro bike. The 2.5WT on the wide rim is MUCH wider than the regular 2.5's on the 729. That being said, it'll be a perfect combo. I prefer a narrower tire in the rear and more grip up front.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
Whos on a ss dh bike and what gear do you run front/rear im 36/14 with rolhoff tensioner

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 4:31 Quote
karl-htdhbikes wrote:
Whos on a ss dh bike and what gear do you run front/rear im 36/14 with rolhoff tensioner

36/14 on an SB One tensioner.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 10:00 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

I run 729's and regular 2.5 dhf's on my DH bike. I run 2.5WT dhf's on 31mm rims on my enduro bike. The 2.5WT on the wide rim is MUCH wider than the regular 2.5's on the 729. That being said, it'll be a perfect combo. I prefer a narrower tire in the rear and more grip up front.

Awesome thanks.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 2:37 Quote
Hey everyone! I've seen armored riding hoodies for motorcyclists but I don't think anything like that is available for mountain bikers. Just curious on whether any of you seem interested in the idea.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 3:58 Quote
vydra wrote:
Hey everyone! I've seen armored riding hoodies for motorcyclists but I don't think anything like that is available for mountain bikers. Just curious on whether any of you seem interested in the idea.

Nope, not interested at all.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 4:59 Quote
vydra wrote:
they're too heavy, not breathable at all. Not great for bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010160
Mobile Version of Website