Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 6:15 Quote
Also, usually any protection not directly attached to the body is prone to slipping and pretty much useless. I can´t see how a back protector could even be done in any meaningful way. Shoulder pads to me are pretty much useless as well, so nbothing to be gained there. So we end up with an overly heavy, non breathable hoodie that has some pads losely attached to it.
There are a bunch of great, unobtrusive pads available already, which even allow you to tailer protection to your daily needs by removing unnecessary pieces and in case of damage, replace them individually rather than the whole hoodie.
Also, after a season the thing is prone to being pretty dang chewed up and looking like shit.
Motorcyclists don´t have to worry about that as much, as they don´t go down regularly, but for dh you better have a few spares around.
Pads and jersey all the way for me. Breathable, lightweight, comfy, lots of different styles and can be had for cheap on sale.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 6:58 Quote
Thanks for the responses I appreciate it! I’ve got some protection that slides so much it didn’t help in a crash. I gotta invest in some better equipment and I definitely agree with keeping spares around. Cheers!

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
Has anyone used or heard about knee braces being used in DH/FR? My right knee is not the best and have seen that there are knee braces for MX, for example Leatt or POD Active. They are pricey, but if it's gonna help me stay on the bike then I'm willing to spend that money.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
Has anyone used or heard about knee braces being used in DH/FR? My right knee is not the best and have seen that there are knee braces for MX, for example Leatt or POD Active. They are pricey, but if it's gonna help me stay on the bike then I'm willing to spend that money.
my friend did his PCL a few years ago. He had a Custom CTI made that worked pretty well. He ended up trading it for a Breg Brace which he liked better because it was lower profile. They don't make knee pads for them though so you have to get creative.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:
my friend did his PCL a few years ago. He had a Custom CTI made that worked pretty well. He ended up trading it for a Breg Brace which he liked better because it was lower profile. They don't make knee pads for them though so you have to get creative.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Will probably have to get something similar so I don't kill my knee completely.

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:
I sometimes ride with a Don-joy knee brace when my knee feels "loose" I have had surgery on my ACL, PCL and medial meniscus. It goes over my knee pads, works ok but a bit cumbersome. I don't use it a great deal so I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Will probably have to get something similar so I don't kill my knee completely.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 3:47 Quote
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a '13 Trek Session 9.9 and i was wondering if any of you had any pros/cons for it, besides it obviously being an older bike now?
I assume the geo isn't as up to date as newer models and its 26", but anything i should be concerned about, flaws.. ect?

Its got a couple small scratches but doesnt look as if there's any major dings of any sort. I've never owned a carbon bike, but also just turning 47 and being in Michigan I won't be going super hard on it.

I probably didnt even need to buy it, but a friend needed money and well, ive never owned a carbon bike..

Thanks

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a '13 Trek Session 9.9 and i was wondering if any of you had any pros/cons for it, besides it obviously being an older bike now?
I assume the geo isn't as up to date as newer models and its 26", but anything i should be concerned about, flaws.. ect?

Its got a couple small scratches but doesnt look as if there's any major dings of any sort. I've never owned a carbon bike, but also just turning 47 and being in Michigan I won't be going super hard on it.

I probably didnt even need to buy it, but a friend needed money and well, ive never owned a carbon bike..

Thanks

They´re ridiculously small, that´s about the only "issue".
It´s a well balanced bike that suits a huge variety of riders.
If the size fits for you, you´re good to go.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:38 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Thanks Sir, I'm like 5"11 so I'm phoping its not too small now, but for the 4-5x i get out to the DH trails, ill deal with it..

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Thanks Sir, I'm like 5"11 so I'm phoping its not too small now, but for the 4-5x i get out to the DH trails, ill deal with it..

What size is it? If it is a XL that would be pretty good for you.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Loki87 wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Honestly, if you're used to riding dirt jumpers, you won't have any issues on a smaller DH/Freeride bike. You might actually like it better. I ride a smaller DH bike as a freeride bike and it's so much more fun than a streched out plow bike. The only time you'd want more length is if you're racing. But if you're not, it'll handle most anything you want it to.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 2:40 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Loki87 wrote:

What size is it? If it is a XL that would be pretty good for you.

Not 100% sure honestly, yeah i know thats kinda weird, i haven't even ridden it yet because it wasn't quite finished by my friend (chain length, derailleur adjustment) and had a 150mm fork on it. He didnt quite know what he was getting into.. ive since got a 200mm Boxxer for it, 8 just have to swap and fine tune, but its like 30° here so im not in a big rush right now

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 2:41 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Loki87 wrote:

Honestly, if you're used to riding dirt jumpers, you won't have any issues on a smaller DH/Freeride bike. You might actually like it better. I ride a smaller DH bike as a freeride bike and it's so much more fun than a streched out plow bike. The only time you'd want more length is if you're racing. But if you're not, it'll handle most anything you want it to.

Excellent!

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
Another question, carbon bars..

How much damage is too much damage?

Got a set from a friend, a few light scratches, nothing major, asked about crashes on them, said nothing he'd be worried about (for himself) so assured me I'd be good (probably never ride to his level)

They are Raceface 6six bars

Thanks guys

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
I'd be more concerned by deep scratches to alloy bars over time that is

If no fibres pricking you you'll be fine until they say f this let's kill im

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010572
Mobile Version of Website