Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 7:23 Quote
danielchen wrote:
is a 17 kg biKe too heavy?

Not at all.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 8:35 Quote
danielchen wrote:

Not at all. That’s the sweet spot for a lot of riders.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
danielchen wrote:

You kidding, a lot of Dh bikes come in at about 36-40lbs.If a bike is too "heavy" the solution is to hit the gym, not spend more for a lighter bike. "Heavier" bikes are also more stable going dh

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
danielchen wrote:

Not for dh, a tad heavy yeah but it's expected.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 18:50 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
danielchen wrote:

You kidding, a lot of Dh bikes come in at about 36-40lbs.If a bike is too "heavy" the solution is to hit the gym, not spend more for a lighter bike. "Heavier" bikes are also more stable going dh

Totally agree, my GT Fury is half carbon & half alloy & comes with coil shock & fork

Wacked some alloy Burgtec pedals on and it must be 41lbs or 42lbs

I'd rather thus than my 130 mm travel old Norco at 44lbs

However the GT is not as light as they can come but I wouldnt want a lightweight DH rig

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 20:11 Quote
my commencal meta AM 29 is 17.6kg

my S-works demo is 15.4kg lol

I got it wrong way round.

For the guy on the previous page looking for a fun DH bike, the last of the 26inch Devinci wilsons is the G.O.A.T in my opinion. That or the Commencal furious, for all out fun on a bicycle that can tackle any trail you point it out.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
I'm sorry, I hate to be that guy but anyone who says they wouldn't want a lightweight DH bike has obviously never ridden a lightweight dh bike!! Why wouldn't you want a lightweight dh bike? If heavy dh bikes were so much better, then why do elite teams do everything they can to make those bikes as light as possible? Anyway, that's just my opinion, or whatever. Good night. Or morning.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 23:04 Quote
At end if day
We the great DH brotherhood do not ride are bikes uphill so weight is irrelevant

Unless it's a 2000 kona stab supreme
Pmsl

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
Re: race teams - to get quick start off line praps and cause they get given top end kit for racing

Racing parts don't mean reliable btw

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 1:38 Quote
But 17kg is not heavy, it's pretty much average, a good weight, not heavy, at all!

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 1:43 Quote
bigburd wrote:
But 17kg is not heavy, it's pretty much average, a good weight, not heavy, at all!

Exactly

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
codeman189 wrote:
I'm sorry, I hate to be that guy but anyone who says they wouldn't want a lightweight DH bike has obviously never ridden a lightweight dh bike!! Why wouldn't you want a lightweight dh bike? If heavy dh bikes were so much better, then why do elite teams do everything they can to make those bikes as light as possible? Anyway, that's just my opinion, or whatever. Good night. Or morning.

Strong point and sure they only pursue lighter bikes, but but there's this;

ive been bmx'ing all my life, so one thing i know is jumps. And that heavier bikes tend to feel much more stable in the air than light bikes. I've owned both and strongly agree. The problem is; it's most pronounced on long fast jumps or gaps. With just a little wind, it really feels like you can't plant your tires where you want to land. And i've had that turn bad before.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
TI-6AL-4V wrote:
codeman189 wrote:

Strong point and sure they only pursue lighter bikes, but but there's this;

ive been bmx'ing all my life, so one thing i know is jumps. And that heavier bikes tend to feel much more stable in the air than light bikes. I've owned both and strongly agree. The problem is; it's most pronounced on long fast jumps or gaps. With just a little wind, it really feels like you can't plant your tires where you want to land. And i've had that turn bad before.
I certainly understand your point here. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've owned/ridden some very heavy, old school dh bikes and I feel much more confident and comfortable jumping my newer, lightweight bikes than I did those heavy bikes.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Horses for courses then

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
Tdawgtit wrote:
Horses for courses then
Funny enough, I also have several horses!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017739
Mobile Version of Website