Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
Anyone have good recs on hip pads? Local hill just announced it's opening date and already almost broken my hip once biking, would like to have some protection there.

I too almost broke my hip last summer. 1 year later and still recovering! My hip is still swollen and numb. I have a deformed hip joint.

I bought zoic impact liners. I crashed on the landing of a 7 ft drop and landed on my hip again. Zero pain. Didn't even affect me. Got up and rode another 7 hours in the park.

What model did you get?

I bought these but I believe they have a more protective version available too. They are great. I use them for park and also big climbing days where I'm in the saddle for 3+ hours.

https://zoic.com/impact-liner

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Damn I might have to go with the Ultimate, since I'm sure the regular restock is probably way behind schedule with the COVID situation and asian manufacturing :/ and Trestles is opening the 27th....

Anyone else with in stock suggestions (size 30)? Confused

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
Use to ride an enduro, switched over to a downhill bike, specifically the Gambler 720. Never had any issues jumping an enduro. The dh seems to wanna buck forward and go nose heavy. Any suggestions on combating this? Suspension settings? Stance on the bike?

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 16:55 Quote
DURS wrote:
Use to ride an enduro, switched over to a downhill bike, specifically the Gambler 720. Never had any issues jumping an enduro. The dh seems to wanna buck forward and go nose heavy. Any suggestions on combating this? Suspension settings? Stance on the bike?

It's usually caused by the fork diving through the lip from not enough air pressure or compression.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
DURS wrote:
Slow down the rebound on your shock possibly increase spring rate up front.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
DURS wrote:

Shock rebound is too fast. Slow it down until the issue stops

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
If I have to choose between a chest/back protector and a neck brace, what should I get first? I don't plan to race, just wanna have fun in the bikeparks and be a bit safer.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:
If I have to choose between a chest/back protector and a neck brace, what should I get first? I don't plan to race, just wanna have fun in the bikeparks and be a bit safer.

I think it depends on your context and risk exposure. But thats partly due to how I perceive the roll of neck braces. I see them as being there for the higher consequence/ lower probability event. Vs chest/back protection, that also will provide a measurable level of comfort and protection for the lower consequence/ more probable events...that’s how I see it any way. protection is one of the more controversial MTB talking points.

Ultimately, Buy the piece you’re most likely to wear, and verify both with be compatible

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:

Back protector. And get a good one.
My humble opinion

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:

Yeah I'd go body armor first, then neck brace. Also make sure you check out used armor and neck braces. The older ones are still good, just heavier and more bulky than current ones. I managed to find a steal on a 2nd gen Leat in still good condition for $20 at a secondhand store then just another $15 for the correct sized clips. $35 WELL spent imo.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:

My back, shoulder and chest protector have saved me so many times the past 3 seasons. I seriously injured my hip last year and bruised my ribs. Probably would have had broken ribs without it on.

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
Side note, when Specialized release the new demo they didn't talk at all about why they went back to aluminum did they?

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
Folks with Marzocchi 380s! Specifically the C2R2. How long do you go between a full service on your fork. Basically just a lower leg service. I have about 4 big days of DH riding from last summer at Trestle Bike Park on my fork and that’s it. I’m heading back there in a few weeks for another 4 days of DH. Is my fork good to go or should I pull it apart? I was hoping to wait till I got back from my trip To service it but I’m just not sure how much these forks can take. Thanks

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
A lot more than 8 bike park days, you’ll be fine

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Side note, when Specialized release the new demo they didn't talk at all about why they went back to aluminum did they?

They got the carbon resin mixed up with Skim milk I think. I went through 3 frames in 18 months. It was constantly new bike day. Specialized warranty is awesome but I was constantly thinking "is this bike gonna explode" after every flat drop. Damn they were sexy looking rigs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016366
Mobile Version of Website