Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
ybsurf wrote:
Hi with all the lower longer slacker trend is dh should still be ridden shorter than trail/am bikes? I'm 5'7 looking at a pivot Phoenix frame in small woth a 400mm reach I'm falling in recommended size by pivot but now commencal furious have their 2020 reach at 465mm what is best? Shorter? Longer?
Looking mostly for jump trails, with a few tech stuff here an there but no racing at all.
Go sit on a few bikes and see what feels good. Generally longer will be more stable. But there will be a point where you are too stretched out.

IME you can ride a frame that's too long without much consequence, but you can't ride a frame that's too short without finding its limitations. At 5'11 most frames in my "recommended" size are in the 470mm - 490mm range lately. So I'm thinking at 5'7" the 440mm - 465mm range would be acceptable, possibly even ideal.

Bear in mind that DH bikes have slack head angles and big 'ol forks, so have longer front-centers for the same reach as an average trail bike.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
ybsurf wrote:
Hi with all the lower longer slacker trend is dh should still be ridden shorter than trail/am bikes? I'm 5'7 looking at a pivot Phoenix frame in small woth a 400mm reach I'm falling in recommended size by pivot but now commencal furious have their 2020 reach at 465mm what is best? Shorter? Longer?
Looking mostly for jump trails, with a few tech stuff here an there but no racing at all.
Go sit on a few bikes and see what feels good. Generally longer will be more stable. But there will be a point where you are too stretched out.

IME you can ride a frame that's too long without much consequence, but you can't ride a frame that's too short without finding its limitations. At 5'11 most frames in my "recommended" size are in the 470mm - 490mm range lately. So I'm thinking at 5'7" the 440mm - 465mm range would be acceptable, possibly even ideal.

Maybe for trail/am bike but same for DH? My trail bike have 430 reach with a 35 stem I dont see myself having a dh with much longer reach. Unfortunately its really hard to sit and check dh bikes as most shop dont carry any i guess I'll need to go to Whistler and see.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
ybsurf wrote:
chriskneeland wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Maybe for trail/am bike but same for DH? My trail bike have 430 reach with a 35 stem I dont see myself having a dh with much longer reach. Unfortunately its really hard to sit and check dh bikes as most shop dont carry any i guess I'll need to go to Whistler and see.

You want to go longer for DH for sure. I can get away with a shorter trail bike, but once you start hitting speeds and steeps the extra room behind the bar is where you find the most benefit.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
Does the new Commencal Supreme DH 29 signature 2021 have the new 2021 fox forks or the older 2020 model fox forks?

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 6:01 Quote
I'm 5'5" and ride a frame with 423mm reach which feels too cramped. No idea how you're riding 400!

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I'm 5'5" and ride a frame with 423mm reach which feels too cramped. No idea how you're riding 400!
Like 5 years ago most large bikes where sitting around 420 mm reach...

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
every bike is different and go say that to Bernard Kerr at 5'11 he won hardline on a phoenix 29 at 460 reach.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

I'm 5'10", arms and legs from a 6ft person tho. 430 reach with a 50mm stem. Pretty happy with how it rides, the previous owner raced Pro Downhill on it for a year and a half on it and was 6'1". I'd say reach is pretty important, but not as big of a deal as we make it seem.

One of my riding buds is on an XL Canyon sender 530 reach with the stem, (480 frame) and honestly, he's shorter than me and he's so stretched out on the bike he can barely maneuver it. even for me, its a handful

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
Anyone tried the 29 front and 27.5 thing on a DH bike? Does it ride better than 29 front and back or is it just the new marketing campaign?

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 19:55 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Anyone tried the 29 front and 27.5 thing on a DH bike? Does it ride better than 29 front and back or is it just the new marketing campaign?

Sort of.

Mullet S-works 8
Mullet S-works 8

The clearance wasn't enough for me to ride it at full potential. Just a few tests.

I am convinced on it however, I put a 29 inch fork/wheel on my ebike and it absolutely rails. Totally transformed the bike.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 0:48 Quote
Brasher wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Sort of.

Mullet S-works 8
Mullet S-works 8

The clearance wasn't enough for me to ride it at full potential. Just a few tests.

I am convinced on it however, I put a 29 inch fork/wheel on my ebike and it absolutely rails. Totally transformed the bike.
Hi brasher I was thinking of doing the same thing to my demo did you find that the bike still felt good and not too high after adding a 29 to the front?

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 2:51 Quote
Morgan5518 wrote:
Brasher wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Sort of.

Mullet S-works 8
Mullet S-works 8

Hi brasher I was thinking of doing the same thing to my demo did you find that the bike still felt good and not too high after adding a 29 to the front?

Felt good to me on the very short run I did. The demo has quite a low BB height at sag so having the big wheel up front didn’t deter from the handling too much. I didn’t go much further with it after cracking another one of those POS frames and went to commencal soon after.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Morgan5518 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

Sort of.

Mullet S-works 8
Mullet S-works 8

Felt good to me on the very short run I did. The demo has quite a low BB height at sag so having the big wheel up front didn’t deter from the handling too much. I didn’t go much further with it after cracking another one of those POS frames and went to commencal soon after.

I've tried on the enduro bike and like it but wonder how it feels on a DH.

Can you do it on any 29r DH bike?

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
Hi guys , so i found this deal with a fox 40 van r 2015 straigh out of a gambler , but it only has rebound and preload adjustments , wont the fork be to soft without the compression adjustments ?
Thanks.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 18:50 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys , so i found this deal with a fox 40 van r 2015 straigh out of a gambler , but it only has rebound and preload adjustments , wont the fork be to soft without the compression adjustments ?
Thanks.

they have internally set compression tunes in the R damper, you could fettle the tune in them but probably way easier to just pick up another damper out of a wrecked fork and drop it in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018634
Mobile Version of Website