Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
drmantistobogganmd wrote:
Converting a DH bike to single speed? I already have a shimano 11spd chain and a 11 speed 34t RF chainring up front.
Prefer to keep the chain ring and crank as I switch them around with my enduro depending on what im getting up too.
Can anyone recommend any kits to finish the job? Shimano freehub. Seem some stuff pros run but there as expensive as saint derailleurs. Also worried if some of these kits are designed to work with 10/9/7 speed chains and cassettes only. Thanks

I'm running an SB One single speed with Reverse 15t cog and 11spd chain on E13 narrow wide chainring. Works flawlessly. I also ran a 9spd chain on it for a few months and it worked the same.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Is body armour considered "not cool" these days? I've noticed I'm basically the only one at at the park with an armour jacket plus elbow and knee pads. I never see anyone wearing anything more than knee pads and the odd neck brace. I figure with bikes and riding styles getting faster people would want more protection!

As COVID has pointed out, risk assessment is not a strong suite of many people.

But know what's not cool. Hobbling around and not being able to ride your bike cause you crashed without pads. Shit sucks, end of story.

i had a lame washout on a fire road recently and scraped up my knee enough to have to take a week off from riding. i've finally given in and i'm just wearing knee pads and elbow pads for every time. easy enough to stash them in the pack (if wearing one) on the long climbs or to just push them down off my knees. it takes 5 seconds to pull them up to my knees at the top of the climb. not as nice as riding without anything on at all but i'd rather not miss any more days unnecessarily

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 10:00 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Is body armour considered "not cool" these days? I've noticed I'm basically the only one at at the park with an armour jacket plus elbow and knee pads. I never see anyone wearing anything more than knee pads and the odd neck brace. I figure with bikes and riding styles getting faster people would want more protection!

As COVID has pointed out, risk assessment is not a strong suite of many people.

But know what's not cool. Hobbling around and not being able to ride your bike cause you crashed without pads. Shit sucks, end of story.

i had a lame washout on a fire road recently and scraped up my knee enough to have to take a week off from riding. i've finally given in and i'm just wearing knee pads and elbow pads for every time. easy enough to stash them in the pack (if wearing one) on the long climbs or to just push them down off my knees. it takes 5 seconds to pull them up to my knees at the top of the climb. not as nice as riding without anything on at all but i'd rather not miss any more days unnecessarily

That's good it was pretty minor! I had a washout last season and landed on my hip. The bursa (sack full of fluid on the hip joint) burst and my leg ballooned up. Probably the worst pain I've ever experienced. Going to take 3 years for the swelling to go away. I now wear hip pads

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
Just got my bike home and noticed it has play in the bottom of the shock, I dont know the actual name of the bit sorry.

What is this bit called and how would I fix it?

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/19005746/

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/19005738/

The silver bolt in the first pic is loose and I can tighten it but I'm not sure if its reverse thread or not, I'm not sure about a lot of this stuff.

I'm terrible when It comes to getting pics to work as I'm on mobile so sorry again guys but any help would be much appreciated.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 16:55 Quote
Hi guys , so i bought a fork wich has a 11/8 steerer tube but my current fork rockshox totem has a 1.5 streerer tube , so what exactly do i need to buy to fit my new fork ?
Thanks.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys , so i bought a fork wich has a 11/8 steerer tube but my current fork rockshox totem has a 1.5 streerer tube , so what exactly do i need to buy to fit my new fork ?
Thanks.

just search 1.5 to 1.125 headset - you could get a new headset or an adapter set. luckily your question pretty much answers itself. have fun with your new fork!

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 20:02 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Thanks.

get a 1.5 to 1 1/8th crown race reducer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=crown+race+reducer&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS839US839&oq=crown+race+reducer&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6.5831j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
Anyone have experience with leatt dbx/gpx neck braces? Going to buy one because I am progressing fast and crash here and there but would like any input on crashes you may have had with a leatt brace on , comfort , range of motion , fit , any other braces worth checking out ? I know these are effective obviously but would be very interested in hearing real life review input about its abilities that is direct and unbiased ! Thank you for your time , KnollyP.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 22:31 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Thanks.

get a 1.5 to 1 1/8th crown race reducer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=crown+race+reducer&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS839US839&oq=crown+race+reducer&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6.5831j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
thanks man

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
Could someone tell me if one of these bearing kits will fix the up down play in the rear on my 2008 iron horse sunday?

The problem seems to be coming from the lower suspension/pivot.

https://mbbearings.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_37

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
Knollyp wrote:
Anyone have experience with leatt dbx/gpx neck braces? Going to buy one because I am progressing fast and crash here and there but would like any input on crashes you may have had with a leatt brace on , comfort , range of motion , fit , any other braces worth checking out ? I know these are effective obviously but would be very interested in hearing real life review input about its abilities that is direct and unbiased ! Thank you for your time , KnollyP.
I ditched mine after a season. I found it very uncomfortable and significantly limited my range of motion. I found I crashed out more often while wearing it and that my back was more sore...

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 13:22 Quote
I have a technical question to any trail builders here. Let's say I have two jumps, and I am going with the same speed towards both of them, but one has a taller takeoff than the other (following roughly the same radius as the smaller one). Am I right to assume that I will fly a little bit further on the taller jump becasue I will be falling down from a higher height? Or what is the science behind correctly sizing jumps?

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 2:41 Quote
Just got a used dh bike (I'm new to dh) and the brakes don't feel good. It can with avid elixer 9 should I get them serviced or replace them?

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 2:53 Quote
njoypow wrote:
Just got a used dh bike (I'm new to dh) and the brakes don't feel good. It can with avid elixer 9 should I get them serviced or replace them?

You should probably try bleeding them first, and if they aren't nice after that, try replacing pads and rotors then take them to get serviced.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 2:59 Quote
njoypow wrote:
Can you describe how they do not feel good? Elixirs tend to be a mushy mess at the best of times...

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012208
Mobile Version of Website