Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
RzK95 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
If you reduce the axle to crown length of the fork, you are likely to make the front of the bike feel even heavier, even if it physically weighs less.
If you are struggling to pick up the front end, the first thing I would try is just raising the bar height a little. This will make it feel lighter and easier to loft into a manual etc. without screwing up the rest of the bikes geometry

I'm using a direct mount stem so not sure how I would raise the bars tbh.
I'm able to pull it up into a manual and hold it there but it's more that 200mm travel just isn't needed and I want to the bike to feel a bit more playful rather than a tank that plows over and through stuff.

Realistically I could do with a different bike but that's not an option until next year so just trying to make this one as enjoyable as possible.

I'll keep what you said in mind and try and find forks with a similar A2C if I can.
There are stems with higher rise or bars that have more rise. But cheapest thing is to get spacers and longer bolts and use the bars and stem you have.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/north-shore-billet-direct-mount-stem-stack-spacer-kit-34-and-6mm-black?variant=882260733&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sajkuDX6wIVLB-tBh3-0g01EAQYBSABEgIPxfD_BwE

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
RzK95 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
If you reduce the axle to crown length of the fork, you are likely to make the front of the bike feel even heavier, even if it physically weighs less.
If you are struggling to pick up the front end, the first thing I would try is just raising the bar height a little. This will make it feel lighter and easier to loft into a manual etc. without screwing up the rest of the bikes geometry

I'm able to pull it up into a manual and hold it there but it's more that 200mm travel just isn't needed and I want to the bike to feel a bit more playful rather than a tank that plows over and through stuff.

Realistically I could do with a different bike but that's not an option until next year so just trying to make this one as enjoyable as possible.

I'll keep what you said in mind and try and find forks with a similar A2C if I can.

The best thing to do for your bike would buy harder springs for both ends. The early boxxers were really soft even with firmer springs in.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
RzK95 wrote:
I'm quite new to mountain bikes in general, rode bmx all my life until about 3months ago so I'm not sure what type of headset my iron horse sunday has, confused by all this tapered stuff as bmx tend to just be one standard size so any help would be much appreciated

It would be best to let the shop figure out which headset you need. Each bike is different.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 0:25 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
RzK95 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

The best thing to do for your bike would buy harder springs for both ends. The early boxxers were really soft even with firmer springs in.

True. My weight puts me firmly on a red spring according to RS, yet I switched to a blue spring this season and it is a lot better, despite still running quite a bit of compression damping. RS spring recommendations are very much on the softer side.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 6:13 Quote
Has anyone tried the Phoenix 29? It's difficult to find a good review on that bike and I wanted to know how it rides compared to a V10 29

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
Tire pressure to start on a 29inch tubeless front tire w cushcore? (Specialized demo)

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:
Tire pressure to start on a 29inch tubeless front tire w cushcore? (Specialized demo)

How much do you weigh? How aggressive do you ride? What are the conditions like where you usually ride?

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 17:01 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:

try something... if it feels too firm, take some air out. if it is too floppy, put some in.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:

How much do you weigh? How aggressive do you ride? What are the conditions like where you usually ride?
185, mt creek,jersey. Super dry lately. Everything feels slippery, started w 20psi down to 17 psi. Rear is at 27 psi and feels consistent.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:

try something... if it feels too firm, take some air out. if it is too floppy, put some in.
i guess I can’t figure out what’s firm or floppy

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:

If it doesn’t feel bad and you aren’t washing out or flatting perpetually, you’re probably ok

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 19:36 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

If it doesn’t feel bad and you aren’t washing out or flatting perpetually, you’re probably ok

That's a good way to look at it, when I'm running a new tire or area I'll start at like 40 psi measured by my hand and gradually let air out until it feels right and I'm not plinking the rim or flatting. If you put too much thought into it you're not thinking about more important things like your riding outfit

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:

185, mt creek,jersey. Super dry lately. Everything feels slippery, started w 20psi down to 17 psi. Rear is at 27 psi and feels consistent.

seventeen is super super low. I run about 19 for super muddy races so if it's dusty bike park I would go for about 23 in the front

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 4:44 Quote
TreyDownhill wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:

seventeen is super super low. I run about 19 for super muddy races so if it's dusty bike park I would go for about 23 in the front

For me bike park is 30 minimum. Especially at Mountain Creek. That place is a rim eater.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011076
Mobile Version of Website