Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:
Tire pressure to start on a 29inch tubeless front tire w cushcore? (Specialized demo)

How much do you weigh? How aggressive do you ride? What are the conditions like where you usually ride?
185, mt creek,jersey. Super dry lately. Everything feels slippery, started w 20psi down to 17 psi. Rear is at 27 psi and feels consistent.

Everyone is different. I weigh 150 lbs. For trail riding I do 14 front and 18 rear. On my DH bike I do 16 front and 20 rear. 2 years and no dents or wheel damage.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:
Tire pressure to start on a 29inch tubeless front tire w cushcore? (Specialized demo)

How much do you weigh? How aggressive do you ride? What are the conditions like where you usually ride?
185, mt creek,jersey. Super dry lately. Everything feels slippery, started w 20psi down to 17 psi. Rear is at 27 psi and feels consistent.

For me at creek, 200 and not super fast, I drop some psi in the fork and add a volume spacer compared to what I run at Thunder or anywhere else really.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:

Everyone is different. I weigh 150 lbs. For trail riding I do 14 front and 18 rear. On my DH bike I do 16 front and 20 rear. 2 years and no dents or wheel damage.

damn, that's not much at all!

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:
TreyDownhill wrote:

That's nuts. I've accidentally done high teens with cush core and I ended up dinging a rim, and I'm high 150lbs without gear. I usually in the low 20's for my bikes, DH and trail

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 14:48 Quote
Damn, good shit guys. Gonna bump them to 30 and go from there.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 14:59 Quote
I'm always told that DH parks put an incredible amount of wear on your bikes, but what exactly is wearing out?

I know the basics like having to service your suspension and replacing seals in them, tires wearing out faster, as well as replacing pivot bushings/ bearings and occasionally headsets, bottom brackets, and hub bearings, but is there anything major I am missing?

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I'm always told that DH parks put an incredible amount of wear on your bikes, but what exactly is wearing out?

I know the basics like having to service your suspension and replacing seals in them, tires wearing out faster, as well as replacing pivot bushings/ bearings and occasionally headsets, bottom brackets, and hub bearings, but is there anything major I am missing?

Stress on your frame, bars, cranks, rims. Everything has a life span. Constant park riding will find it eventually.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

I’d say it’s more just the abuse on the parts hardly ever do I make it through a bike park weekend without breaking or damaging something on the bike. I do usually just have a trail bike though.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
Stress on your frame, bars, cranks, rims. Everything has a life span. Constant park riding will find it eventually.

So not only do I get to have fun riding park, I also have a legitimate excuse to upgrade parts when they break? Sounds good to me!

bike2850 wrote:
I’d say it’s more just the abuse on the parts hardly ever do I make it through a bike park weekend without breaking or damaging something on the bike. I do usually just have a trail bike though.

I've had my derailleur cable snap twice in the 6 days of park riding I did this year, ended up just screwing in the limit screw to keep me in the one gear I use downhill

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
Sweetopato wrote:

I strongly disagree. With cushcore I would suggest starting at around 20Ft/23Rr. You aren't going to dent your rims without any warning unless you are making some very dodgy line choices.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Sweetopato wrote:

I strongly disagree. With cushcore I would suggest starting at around 20Ft/23Rr. You aren't going to dent your rims without any warning unless you are making some very dodgy line choices.

I'd agree with that. Low-mid 20s with cushcore at the bike park.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 16:17 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Has anyone tried the Phoenix 29? It's difficult to find a good review on that bike and I wanted to know how it rides compared to a V10 29

I took it for a demo. It was great till a terrible creak started. Turns out the Pf bb needed to be changed :/ Other than that, rode very nicely, nice n responsive, straight up monster in the chunk. Only gripe was the bb failed on a rather "new" demo bike.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
chriskneeland wrote:

So not only do I get to have fun riding park, I also have a legitimate excuse to upgrade parts when they break? Sounds good to me!

bike2850 wrote:

I've had my derailleur cable snap twice in the 6 days of park riding I did this year, ended up just screwing in the limit screw to keep me in the one gear I use downhill

you have a legitimate excuse to upgrade parts even when they aren't broken too Big Grin

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
chriskneeland wrote:

bike2850 wrote:

you have a legitimate excuse to upgrade parts even when they aren't broken too Big Grin
n+1 applies to parts too, duh

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 23:02 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

I‘m in!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019872
Mobile Version of Website