Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
RzK95 wrote:
In need of a new rear brake but have only got £50 to spend right now, I know I'm not gonna get anything close to top tier but does anyone have any recommendations?

Check for something used. Maybe someone has a zee or code that just needs new pads or something. There are deals to be had. Otherwise, just try to get 4 pistons

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:31 Quote
RzK95 wrote:
In need of a new rear brake but have only got £50 to spend right now, I know I'm not gonna get anything close to top tier but does anyone have any recommendations?

M315 brakes you can get cheap

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
Should be able to find SLX for that price, maybe even XT single pots if lucky.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 22:58 Quote
I got SLX 2 piston with bad hoses for a tenner, so you should be able to find a good deal

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
RzK95 wrote:

I got a set of tektro gemini front and rear for $90, they work great on my hardtail in the bike park and local stuff. No complaints. The lever pull actually feels better than any other Ive tried. Not as strong as the xt or elixirs I had on other bikes but lots of bang for the buck

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 3:37 Quote
I'm a little between size L and XL on my bike. 2 cm longer chainstays would be noticeable?

Also looking into different brands, 0,5 degrees steeper HA would make a big difference?

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 5:24 Quote
norfiril wrote:
I'm a little between size L and XL on my bike. 2 cm longer chainstays would be noticeable?

Also looking into different brands, 0,5 degrees steeper HA would make a big difference?

2cm seems small but it makes a big difference. My gambler has adjustable chainstays which adjust about 15mm and the difference is pretty significant. If you want fast and planted go longer. Playful and easier to jump go with large. 0.5 deg steeper when comparing 2 different bikes won't be noticeable.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 5:30 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

2cm seems small but it makes a big difference. My gambler has adjustable chainstays which adjust about 15mm and the difference is pretty significant. If you want fast and planted go longer. Playful and easier to jump go with large. 0.5 deg steeper when comparing 2 different bikes won't be noticeable.

Ya I went from 420mm stays on my Operator to 440 on my TR11. The difference was very noticeable. But the bike feels more balanced. And agreed on the .5 deg. Probably won't notice the angle, but might notice the longer wheel base stability with the combination of the two.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
chriskneeland wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Ya I went from 420mm stays on my Operator to 440 on my TR11. The difference was very noticeable. But the bike feels more balanced. And agreed on the .5 deg. Probably won't notice the angle, but might notice the longer wheel base stability with the combination of the two.

Yes good point. When I adjust my head angle to the slack setting, I don't really notice the angle change but I can feel the longer wheel base.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
chriskneeland wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Yes good point. When I adjust my head angle to the slack setting, I don't really notice the angle change but I can feel the longer wheel base.

Thank you both for your explanation

If 2 cm more of wheel base is that big difference I have to think again because that leave me with less options for a change.

I would go for the Gambler if they sell frames but in my country they only sell complete bikes and my idea was keeping all components.

In between L and XL geo I have the Commençal Supreme. I had one back on 2017 nice for racing but I don't remember it as a great park bike

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 21:02 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
chriskneeland wrote:

If 2 cm more of wheel base is that big difference I have to think again because that leave me with less options for a change.

I would go for the Gambler if they sell frames but in my country they only sell complete bikes and my idea was keeping all components.

In between L and XL geo I have the Commençal Supreme. I had one back on 2017 nice for racing but I don't remember it as a great park bike

What don't you like about the supreme? I'm actually selling my gambler so I can buy the 2021 supreme.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

What don't you like about the supreme? I'm actually selling my gambler so I can buy the 2021 supreme.
The supreme is a lot of bike. It has a long chainstay and a lot of rearward travel.

It likes rough terrain, and it likes going fast. That's about it.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 21:38 Quote
Nobble wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

The supreme is a lot of bike. It has a long chainstay and a lot of rearward travel.

It likes rough terrain, and it likes going fast. That's about it.

I run my gambler in the low and long setting, I still want a longer bike. I'm into double black tech and rock gardens. Not big on jumps anymore. Sounds like it's the bike for me?

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 22:04 Quote
I run my gambler the same way, with the -1deg cups in.

I like longer more planted bikes and I felt that the supreme took a lot of work to ride. IMO a bit too much work unless you're racing it or always riding it at 100%.

Not saying you shouldn't get one, but just know what you're getting into. That rear end is rewarding in rough stuff but kind of a pig too.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I run my gambler the same way, with the -1deg cups in.

I like longer more planted bikes and I felt that the supreme took a lot of work to ride. IMO a bit too much work unless you're racing it or always riding it at 100%.

Not saying you shouldn't get one, but just know what you're getting into. That rear end is rewarding in rough stuff but kind of a pig too.

Agree.

I tested the 29er for 5 days and found it an amazing bike to ride; so planted and fast but so demanding. I ended way too exhausted for not being racing.

What I don't like about Supreme? How it demands from the rider and maybe it's not the most playful for park days. I love the bike, just saying maybe is not the best option for me.

The V4.2 I had was an awesome racing machine but on the park doesn't felt as it was at home, specially on the jump lines.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011164
Mobile Version of Website