Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
That and just ride more flow jump trails, like the old saying practice makes perfect.

Also everyone has their own comfort level on the size of jumps/risks they are willing to take/comfort level. Don’t feel like you absolutely have to hit the big lines.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 4:55 Quote
I have a ‘03 brodie devo, Looking to upgrade my suspension. Both fork and shock, Preferably would like them to fit the bike (i.e not look totally modern) I’m thinking about getting a 888 RCV, but open to anything, Any recommendations? Thanks!

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
For me on flow jumps I just worked my way up. Casing tables is generally safe so I gradually went faster and faster until I was able to clear all the jumps on A Line in whistler. It's intimidating at first but after I was able to clear all the jumps I realized going full speed and just trusting my bike is safer and far less scary compared to going slow and casing. Now I'm confident sending double black flow blind (unless it's a gap, screw that!)

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
So, I want to try racing downhill next year. But the only bike I have is a 130/140 trail bike, I do have downhill brakes installed on it. Is it ok to race this bike or is it not so great of an Idea? I’ve looked at some of the courses for the race series, there isn’t much jumps or getting air. But there is a lot of high speed over lots of rocks.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
So, I want to try racing downhill next year. But the only bike I have is a 130/140 trail bike, I do have downhill brakes installed on it. Is it ok to race this bike or is it not so great of an Idea? I’ve looked at some of the courses for the race series, there isn’t much jumps or getting air. But there is a lot of high speed over lots of rocks.

If you feel comfortable racing on your bike then go for it. that's entirely up to you. I see 2 problems with racing a short travel bike on rocky DH tracks. One is speed. You won't even come close to keeping up with the guys on DH and Enduro rigs. I've ridden both my trail bike and gambler for DH. The gambler just plows through rock gardens like they aren't even there. On my trail bike I have to slow down and choose my lines carefully. The bike is nowhere near as compliant. The other problem is durability. your bike isn't designed for high speed DH tech. You may break something during your race.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 14:10 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

Really depends on the series /tracks you're racing. If you're doing the ESC, then most tracks except for maybe like killington or blue mountain would put you at a big disadvantage on a trail bike. Lots of big compressions and old school gnarly tech. Not as familiar with many of the southeast or central east coast venues. You can definitely ride the courses on a trail bike, on of my buddies raced a few seasons on an old, clapped out 26 enduro and killed it. Just gotta understand the limitations and be realistic if you'll be able to be competitive, and somewhat safe.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

You should be ok for some tracks But theres no way you'll keep up with an enduro. and the Dh rigs are gonna lawnmow their way through all the chunk. If you wanted to race any of the Downhill Southeast races, You'd be pretty ok. they have a Single Crown category. Just make sure not to race Windrock on a single crown, its rough af, and that place eats bikes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I think you'll be fine as long as you know what to expect

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 5:49 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

Really depends on the series /tracks you're racing. If you're doing the ESC, then most tracks except for maybe like killington or blue mountain would put you at a big disadvantage on a trail bike. Lots of big compressions and old school gnarly tech. Not as familiar with many of the southeast or central east coast venues. You can definitely ride the courses on a trail bike, on of my buddies raced a few seasons on an old, clapped out 26 enduro and killed it. Just gotta understand the limitations and be realistic if you'll be able to be competitive, and somewhat safe.
The ESC was where I was thinking of racing at. I have actually already done a race in the esc on a trail bike at blue mountain which was my first downhill race and only my second time doing downhill I managed to run a time of 5.31.67 which placed 16/17 in the U15 class.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
Anyone got any solid DH brake options that aren't crazy expensive?

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
joe-mcque wrote:
Shimano zee or magura mt5 are both solid budget dh brakes. Or go for a 4 pot shimano series brake like slx or deore and although they won't be as good as the first 2 options they will work fine

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
joe-mcque wrote:

Not sure what the price is like over there but the TRP Quadiems can be had for a pretty good price.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
joe-mcque wrote:
I’ve been using the zee’s for the last 3 weeks.I would say that they are a decent brake for the price. If there a little bit out of your price range the shimano MT520 brakes are a good option for the money.The mt520s do have a lot of fade if your doing long downhill’s. The Zee’s, I haven’t noticed any brake fade.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
joe-mcque wrote:

SRAM code R. Been using mine for 3 seasons and have only bled them once. Had some issues with sticky pistons on the rear but I cleaned and lubed them. All good now.

If you're looking for something cheaper than codes then the new Shimano SLX and even deore 4 pistons are a great option. I've tried them on a friends bike and the modulation/power are really nice. Some of the 2021 DH bikes come with them.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
Hi All,

Got a saracen myst team pro carbon....dream machine.
Im about 6ft tall and obv do DH/Freeride lines like Revolution etc.
The stem i got is a 50mm stem but has two bolt holes so i can put back to 45mm ..but want a new stem, do i get a 45mm or stay with 50mm....would 45mm be better for jumping or is that to far back?
Many thanks in advance

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
Try both positions before you buy a new stem, whichever position you prefer but a new stem in said length

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012940
Mobile Version of Website