Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
Probably not the right place to be asking this, but I'm turning 14 in a few days and I have been offered a job at a bike shop. I just want to know if anyone on this thread has any experience in a shop. If so I would like to know what to expect when working in a shop/ any tips I need to know. Thanks Smile
At your age, nobody will be expecting you to know everything. Ask other guys whenever you have any doubt in your mind, and learn learn learn. Own up to mistakes, grow from them. The worst mechanics in the world are the ones who think they don't make mistakes.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
Thank you guys for the tips, they are going to be very helpful. Big Grin I am also stoked to learn more on how to work on my bike but also learn more about how to work on other disciplines of bikes.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
Probably not the right place to be asking this, but I'm turning 14 in a few days and I have been offered a job at a bike shop. I just want to know if anyone on this thread has any experience in a shop. If so I would like to know what to expect when working in a shop/ any tips I need to know. Thanks Smile

Have fun, be humble, don't be a know it all(trust me, there's always a bigger bike nerd), talk to the customers, help them with what they need, be friendly.
If you get to ride bikes in the store..10/10 recommend ripping a wheelie on every bike present............if your boss allows........ just make sure to have fun and enjoy working at a bike shop. If you work as a mechanic and theres a challenging job, don't be afraid to ask a mechanic for help if you haven't done something before.

Be reallllllllly careful when working on some bikes, (depending on what bikes you get to work on)
I dropped a 6k carbon roadbike my first week on the job when I was 15Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin real question was why i was tasked with working on that bike though :/

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
Don't talk down to anyone, give them the benefit of the doubt, and be friendly. Remember, you are in a service industry job, how you interact with other people is a large component of your worth there.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
Screw that noise!! Roll in there chest all pumped out and tell them you only work on carbon and AXS!! And then ask when it is beer thirty up in this bitch!! lol

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
I will echo what someone else said about being humble. I once talked shit on an older specialized cross country bike that was in for a full service including suspension basically saying something like "All this money he is pending should just be put into a nicer bike, what a waste". Well I come to find out the dude who owns it just loves this bike and that it is actually a pretty rare bike that he likes to ride occasionally but the guy also has like an ultimate quiver of high end bikes as well. You just never know why a customer is spending their money the way they do and it is not your place to question their motivations or preferences. The best you can do is try to steer them towards what you think is best and let them know why you think that.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
Hi Lads,
I havw had my Canyon Torque CF 9.0 since May this year now and have been taking good care of it. In August, I went to Châtel/Morzine and suddenly when I came back there was a bit of play in the rear frame that links with the shock and the rear frame. I then took the bike apart bought new bearings and bolts for it and put it back together but the play is still there. I've put more grease in but that doesn't help either???? Does anyone have any suggestions or have had the same problem with their Torque?
Thanks boys

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
samwainwright wrote:
Hi Lads,
I havw had my Canyon Torque CF 9.0 since May this year now and have been taking good care of it. In August, I went to Châtel/Morzine and suddenly when I came back there was a bit of play in the rear frame that links with the shock and the rear frame. I then took the bike apart bought new bearings and bolts for it and put it back together but the play is still there. I've put more grease in but that doesn't help either???? Does anyone have any suggestions or have had the same problem with their Torque?
Thanks boys
You probably already have but did you ever contact canyon about the issue?

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
It is a known issue with the frame. Been like this from the first model year. They will offer you a new frame but it will most likely happen again.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 6:52 Quote
So I finally ordered a downhill bike. I just wanted to know how different a 200/200mm downhill bike is compared to a 130/150mm trail bike.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
So I finally ordered a downhill bike. I just wanted to know how different a 200/200mm downhill bike is compared to a 130/150mm trail bike.

Very! You are in for a treat my friend!

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

What did you end up deciding on?

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

Very! Get used to the DH bike and your trail bike will start feelin like a bmx lol

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

specialized demo race 29 s2, I'm only 5'4 with short arms so I figured it should fit me well.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

specialized demo race 29 s2, I'm only 5'4 with short arms so I figured it should fit me well.

The difference will be huge. For example a complete re-calibration of the size of trail feature you can now plow through at full pace, instead of slowing down and going around.

I will say though, you are quite likely to find yourself hitting your arse on the rear tyre a lot more frequently than on something with 130mm travel. Watch out for that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029580
Mobile Version of Website