Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Nobble wrote:
The problem with Ohlins is that it's nearly impossible to get replacement parts in the USA, and nowhere services them. Not sure if Canada is any better.

I would imagine Europe is easier due to the fact Ohlins is based there.
Canada is better.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
Nobble wrote:
The problem with Ohlins is that it's nearly impossible to get replacement parts in the USA, and nowhere services them. Not sure if Canada is any better.

Not sure about the rest of Canada but Vancouver has an ohlins dealer/service center. They can do warranty claims in house. They also do custom tuning. Having a local service center is definitely a deal breaker. I turned down an amazing deal on a maiden because it came with Bos suspension.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Nobble wrote:

I agree. Parts are pretty hard to find

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
I have an ohlins 36. Same damper and air spring. At 170mm it still blows away my boxxer WC. The air bottom out control is amazing to dial in the feel.

Also ohlins customer service is unreal. Fox is a nightmare and rockshox is hit or miss. I had a few scratches on the stantions inside the lowers. The local ohlins dealer made a warranty claim. Instead of fixing the problem they sent me a new fork. My 2018 RFX got upgraded to the 2020 model. The whole process was only a week of down time

Hmmm. Interesting. might have to grab me some Ohlin's then

You won't be disappointed. I'm sticking with ohlins for all my bikes now.

I was very impressed with the RXF36 m.2 coil. I would rank it as the second best fork I have ridden. Definitely thinking I will be going with the DH 38 on my upcoming DH build. Between that and an over the top Fox 40.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 15:57 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

Hmmm. Interesting. might have to grab me some Ohlin's then

You won't be disappointed. I'm sticking with ohlins for all my bikes now.

I was very impressed with the RXF36 m.2 coil. I would rank it as the second best fork I have ridden. Definitely thinking I will be going with the DH 38 on my upcoming DH build. Between that and an over the top Fox 40.

I loved my factory 40 but any factory fox suspension is a headache to tune. Too many adjustments and I was always paranoid my settings were off. I find ohlins is very simple to setup and performs just the same or better than fox. Not sure about the 38 but I noticed a huge difference in stiffness going from a 40 to a boxxer.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
I have a couple year old 40 right now that has custom tuning in the damper but I have never been to be able to find a sweet spot in the air spring by adding/subtracting tokens when compared to my single crown forks with mods like the luftkappe or DSD runt. It always seems to be a trade-off of small bump compliance or bottom out resistance. I have a Secus on the way right now I am going to try out in January that should make an improvement though.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
I have a couple year old 40 right now that has custom tuning in the damper but I have never been to be able to find a sweet spot in the air spring by adding/subtracting tokens when compared to my single crown forks with mods like the luftkappe or DSD runt. It always seems to be a trade-off of small bump compliance or bottom out resistance. I have a Secus on the way right now I am going to try out in January that should make an improvement though.

A shockwiz made tuning my 40 and X2 a breeze. Same on my 36 and X2 on my other bike too. Some bike shops will rent them out as well. Both are dialed in now and super plush all through the travel.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:

That's an issue I have with my boxxer. Are you able to cut a spacer in half? That might work

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 0:43 Quote
So if someone would have the Fox Factory 40 spec or the Öhlins spec Commencal Supreme mullet bikes as an option, you would go with the Öhlins spec version?

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 1:29 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:

That's an issue I have with my boxxer. Are you able to cut a spacer in half? That might work

Not a bad idea. I might try that, but definitely going to give the Secus a try as it is already on the way. Will have to talk to my tuner to see what he recommends when adding it on as far as changing spacers is concerned. As for the shock wiz I actually own one and it has helped dial it in but it is not the greatest. I have access to a motion instruments set up but we are still waiting on the fork tracer.

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 7:23 Quote
Do I want to buy a gambler 920 to replace my 2015 solid strike? I just can't decide if it's worth it.
It wouldn't get used that much, some of the finishing kit is a bit poor and would need swapping out. I would likely get a 27.5 rear to mullet it.
The change would cost about £2500 once I've sold my current strike plus any upgrades I decide to do.
I'm old enough not to need a current DH bike but also old enough to not have problems affording one.

But it's a raw gambler, the best looking one in my eyes.

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
Do I want to buy a gambler 920 to replace my 2015 solid strike? I just can't decide if it's worth it.
It wouldn't get used that much, some of the finishing kit is a bit poor and would need swapping out. I would likely get a 27.5 rear to mullet it.
The change would cost about £2500 once I've sold my current strike plus any upgrades I decide to do.
I'm old enough not to need a current DH bike but also old enough to not have problems affording one.

But it's a raw gambler, the best looking one in my eyes.
One of my biggest bike regrets was selling my Strike, would keep it.

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
It's between the Gambler and a Canfield One.2 for me right now.

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
I think the real question is what you´re expecting to gain from the change.
I sold my Strike mainly because i wanted a longer reach and maybe a slighly steeper head angle.
I still miss the straight line capabilities of the Strike though.
So if you´re looking for something more nimble and less racey, go for it. If sizing is a reason, go for it.
If you just want something new, i suspect you won´t be disapointed by the Gambler, but i´m not sure it´s an actual upgrade.

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
Has anyone here tried the 2020 demo (with Ohlins suspension)? If so what did you think of it?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.011533
Mobile Version of Website