Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
jazzythemost wrote:
Best knee pads that pedal well and are good enough for downhill/enduro/bikepark?

Dainese trail skins pro. These replaced my Troy Lee hard shells. Almost feels like you're wearing nothing at all so pedal and breathe well. Protection is better than expected. I smashed my knee into a stump and felt nothing. Better than impact foam in my opinion.

I also have a pair of these and LOVE them for trail riding (actually breathable unlike most kneepads), and taken a few good crashes with them. Since the Trail Skins just take a little more care to keep them in good shape due to the lightweight-ness of them, I do have a second set of pads for the park. For park stuff I kinda want something more substantial and that I don't have to think about beating up on.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 16:31 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
jazzythemost wrote:
Best knee pads that pedal well and are good enough for downhill/enduro/bikepark?

Dainese trail skins pro. These replaced my Troy Lee hard shells. Almost feels like you're wearing nothing at all so pedal and breathe well. Protection is better than expected. I smashed my knee into a stump and felt nothing. Better than impact foam in my opinion.

I also have a pair of these and LOVE them for trail riding (actually breathable unlike most kneepads), and taken a few good crashes with them. Since the Trail Skins just take a little more care to keep them in good shape due to the lightweight-ness of them, I do have a second set of pads for the park. For park stuff I kinda want something more substantial and that I don't have to think about beating up on.

True. Even if I don't crash I get tears in my trail skins when riding park. Protection is enough but durability isn't there for park days. Dainese must make a DH version?

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

True. Even if I don't crash I get tears in my trail skins when riding park. Protection is enough but durability isn't there for park days. Dainese must make a DH version?

Even though I run hot AF when I'm climbing I don't feel like I need to level of breathability the Trail Skins in the park. And I'm certainly not beholden to Dainese. Some of the more durable (like kevlar or UHMWPE knee fabrics) flexible (d3o or the like) pads will be on the list probably this summer.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 16:48 Quote
Does anybody have a set of dvo emerald forks for sale? Don’t mind if they are used aslong as they are in working condition. Thanks

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
Do people use padded shorts for downhill because you wouldn't need to do any long pedaling?

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
I-love-downhill wrote:
Do people use padded shorts for downhill because you wouldn't need to do any long pedaling?

No chamois for downhill

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
I-love-downhill wrote:

I do, but only because they also have hip pads as well

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
No chamois anytime for me.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
I-love-downhill wrote:

Yes I do. Mine have padding in the hips and tail bone. I washed out and landed on my hip 2 years ago. My left leg is still giant and swollen. It's with me for life. Always wear my hip pads now, even for pedal days.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 0:08 Quote
hey dudes, picking up my first DH bike today, I'm looking into changing the spring on it as I already know I'm gonna blow through the one it comes with. As long as the spring is the right size (420x69 or whatever it is) It'lll work fine right? don't need brand specific springs because that sounds dumb? Cheers

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 0:19 Quote
T4THH wrote:
hey dudes, picking up my first DH bike today, I'm looking into changing the spring on it as I already know I'm gonna blow through the one it comes with. As long as the spring is the right size (420x69 or whatever it is) It'lll work fine right? don't need brand specific springs because that sounds dumb? Cheers

It does make a difference . Not all springs have the same inner diameter.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 0:30 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
T4THH wrote:

It does make a difference . Not all sprigs have the same inner diameter.

That's mildly annoying. I'll need to do a bit of research then. Cheers

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
So this season I am racing in the maxxis esc cup it will be be my first time on a downhill bike, I have done Blue mountain before on a trail bike (it was very rough but still fun, definitely not fast). Just asking if anyone has any tips for my first time racing on a downhill bike.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Go fast, don't crashSalute

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Go fast, don't crashSalute
Thanks! I'll try to go fast

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015953
Mobile Version of Website