Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
Doe's any one know any tips for getting into focus/ boosting confidence on race day?

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Yup , the stancions are as dropped as possible , my question is : in a bottoning out situation "wich wount happend much" Will it damage anything

Yes it will. And its dangerous.

Adjust the lower crown so that it does not bottom into seals. Then if your upper is no longer able to grab the stancion you will need to either get a "drop" uppper (whatever its called) or any chance you have a huge amount of head tube shim under your top crown? You could take some of those out also.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
Doe's any one know any tips for getting into focus/ boosting confidence on race day?

Best thing to do, as is with most things in life where you have to deliver a certain performance, is preparation.
The more you prepare, the more you can trust your ability to handle what´s in front of you.
Nutrition, line choice, track knowledge are all things that can be taken care of beforehand and can be somewhat consciously ignored on raceday when you´re 100% sure you´ve done what it takes to be prepared.
Just like a test in school, you´ll be less nervous the better your preparation.
If you´re having nerves, watching track videos can be a thing to further prepare and take your mind off raceday. Just keep internalizing your line choices. Also just playing a game, having a beer in the evening with your friends and simply socializing a bit can help to reset your head after training.
If you´re having trouble sleeping, try meditation, Yoga, stretching, whatever you prefer. Some people need to stay busy, others can just go to sleep.
When standing at the start, make it clear to yourself there´s nothing more to be done now than get down as fast and safe as possible. Again, trust your preparation at this point. Trust that if you stick with your gameplan you´ll deliver the best performance you´re capable at this point in time. The time to assess your performance and think about where to rank yourself is after the race. And lastly, it´s just a bicycle race. Your livelyhood doesn´t depend on it and neither does your manhood or whatever else might come to mind. Enjoy it, see where you rank amongst your peers and then if you feel like it, go improve on your performance.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

Routine.
It's something you see in every high level sport. Be it team sports or something individual like mtb or surfing. It's basically an advance form of the Pavlov dog study. Building those neural pathways to help get your brain and body closer to a flow state. Some people it's just a couple minute routine before the activity, sometimes it's a whole to multi day thing for people like Kelly Slater.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

Routine.
It's something you see in every high level sport. Be it team sports or something individual like mtb or surfing. It's basically an advance form of the Pavlov dog study. Building those neural pathways to help get your brain and body closer to a flow state. Some people it's just a couple minute routine before the activity, sometimes it's a whole to multi day thing for people like Kelly Slater.

Definitely. A good example for when you're up top waiting to drop in is to do some dynamic movements such as jump squats to get your legs warmed up. You can shake out your arms a little too. If you have a trainer bring it to the top to stay warm. Visualizing your lines is something you can do as well.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 13:34 Quote
I just recently discovered the commencal supreme 27.5 is $800 cheaper compared to the mullet version. You guys think it's better to pay extra for mullet? I haven't ridden mullet so I have no idea if it's worth it. Also the mullet comes with DT wheels. 27.5 is E13 and we all know how shitty they are

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I just recently discovered the commencal supreme 27.5 is $800 cheaper compared to the mullet version. You guys think it's better to pay extra for mullet? I haven't ridden mullet so I have no idea if it's worth it. Also the mullet comes with DT wheels. 27.5 is E13 and we all know how shitty they are

I am 99% sure that the mullet is just a 29 frame with a 27.5 rear wheel. I have a 29 and my friend has a mullet. Every part of the frame is the same except for the paint.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 19:09 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I am 99% sure that the mullet is just a 29 frame with a 27.5 rear wheel. I have a 29 and my friend has a mullet. Every part of the frame is the same except for the paint.

I believe the linkage is tweaked to raise the BB. If I go with the 27.5 I won't be running mullet. Just riding it as is.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 19:28 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I believe the linkage is tweaked to raise the BB. If I go with the 27.5 I won't be running mullet. Just riding it as is.

Linkage is exactly the same. The friend didn’t tighten all the bolts and some bolts came out and it all bent. Commencal sent him a new linkage and it was labeled as the 29 link so I’m 99.5% sure.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 2:19 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:

Linkage is exactly the same. The friend didn’t tighten all the bolts and some bolts came out and it all bent. Commencal sent him a new linkage and it was labeled as the 29 link so I’m 99.5% sure.

The mullet has based on size chainstays of 448-456mm. The 29 and 27,5 have 430mm chainstays...according to the site. Sounds wierd but looking at the pics of the mullet: that has tons of space in rear triangle. So the 27 and 29 are the same but the mullet actually is own model.

27, 430mm:

29, 430mm seem right how tight that wheel sits to seattube:

mullet, 456mm ton of space;

https://www.commencal-store.de/new-supreme-dh-27-team-2020-c2x29691022
https://www.commencal-store.de/supreme-dh-29-signature-c2x31380507
https://www.commencal-store.de/supreme-dh-27-29-team-c2x31380490

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 7:13 Quote
So I recently got the demo race 29 could I run a 27.5 rear wheel on the 29 frame?

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
Previously posted this in its own forum. I was going to wait and give CRC more time to sort it. But they just released the 2021 Dominer and I feel I should warn anyone from buying it.

Anyway, this was my post...

Bought a brand new "race ready" "downhill" bike 16 months ago. Has been used for a month only. Still about 20 months left on the frame warranty. Hadn't been used due to moving abroad for a but, covid, brain surgery and having most of my gear burgled. The pic and video shows the BB assembly shell freely moving around. Sent it back to manufacturer and they claimed this...

"We have completed assessment of your frame and it looks like it's down to wear and tear over time and cannot be tightened as the clip won't allow it. As this is not a warranty issue or manufacture defect this is not covered for replacement."

Looks like a joke tbh. Can anyone state thier experience and opinion please?

Had creaks from day 1 of use and a well experienced mechanic told me to send it back after taking a closer look. The inside shell had originally rotated about 30degrees from where it had supposed to be.

Didn't know floating bottom brackets where used in downhill race bikes.

Gone through to citizens advice and trading standards to report them.

But any more statements and opinions from professionals will help.

Looks like poor factory bolt torquing causes the issue along with poor factory quality assessment. Not the first or millionth time a certain store/manufacturer has done this either.

My theory is that if one side of the bottom bracket assembly can move, it will ruin the thread and fitment of the nine faulty side and that when pedalling with your weight behind the pedals it will continue to make the frame shell bigger over time. Weakening the carcass until the bottom bracket falls out.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

The mullet has based on size chainstays of 448-456mm. The 29 and 27,5 have 430mm chainstays...according to the site. Sounds wierd but looking at the pics of the mullet: that has tons of space in rear triangle. So the 27 and 29 are the same but the mullet actually is own model.

27, 430mm:

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize the 27.5 has shorter chainstays. I may go with that instead of the mullet. I love the short stays on my gambler.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:

27, 430mm:

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize the 27.5 has shorter chainstays. I may go with that instead of the mullet. I love the short stays on my gambler.

The reason that there is a lot of room on the mullet bike is because it's a 27.5 wheel on the 29 frame. A lot of Commencal's geometry charts are really messed up. Some of the dimensions don't even match what the frame is.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:

27, 430mm:

The reason that there is a lot of room on the mullet bike is because it's a 27.5 wheel on the 29 frame. A lot of Commencal's geometry charts are really messed up. Some of the dimensions don't even match what the frame is.
No, the 29 is way shorter and the same as the 27. That is why the 29 rearwheel almost is buzzing the BB already in that picture. If you compare the full size image you can see the rear triangle is much longer on the mullet then the 29. I was also confused by this.

Commencial often keeps multi generation bikes in their line up, I would not be surprised if during the year they will change/update the design of the 27 and 29 to match the mullet design.

It kind of looks likes this happened: They had a 27...made it work as as 29. Realized it aint perfect, decided to launch a mullet with the short end fixed. But they still need to sell of the 'older' style 29, when that clears they will launch a revised 29, which will be similar to the mullet with just adjusted links for the height or something.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012030
Mobile Version of Website