Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
I am just wondering if I should buy a spare rim for racing.

if you reckon you have the skill to lace up a new rim in the carpark then go for it!
Otherwise, I've seen people lending wheels over a race weekend. People with spare sets, or even people in a different category who will set their time and then whip their wheels off and lend them to someone else to set their time on.

Alternatives include wearing lucky underwear and hoping you don't write off a rim.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
An extra wheel is probably a reasonable investment if you find you are really trashing your rims. That way at least you can have a back up for the race that you don't have to think about.

Usually a rear wheel is damaged to a point that it's not rideable at least that's what I have found.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Boxxer ultimate question. My fork currently has one token installed. I have to add 2 out of 4 clicks HSC to stop it from bottoming out on everything except for big drops and jumps. Would it be better to back off on HSC and adds a token or ride it as is? I'm at 20% sag so don't want to add anymore air

Add more air!!!
I run like 8% sag on my coil Boxxer.

Really?! I feel like it would be way too harsh

Try it and see. Also bear in mind that comfortable is not fast. You wouldn't go to a track day in a caddilac. You wouldn't want to drive 500 miles in a track car. Horses for courses, but most people in mtb do this weird thing where they set their suspension up for mega comfort and then wonder why it struggles when they ride fast.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
should I worry about my rims possibly failing on a race run? I am running Roval 29DH rims with dtswiss 350 rear hub and a specailized stout front hub. I am just wondering if I should buy a spare rim for racing.

I'd be inclined to spend the money I might spend on a spare rim, on fitting a cushcore instead. Better to make it to the finish line first time round, than to trash a rim but have a spare in the van

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:
should I worry about my rims possibly failing on a race run? I am running Roval 29DH rims with dtswiss 350 rear hub and a specailized stout front hub. I am just wondering if I should buy a spare rim for racing.

I'd be inclined to spend the money I might spend on a spare rim, on fitting a cushcore instead. Better to make it to the finish line first time round, than to trash a rim but have a spare in the van

I second this. Have seen quite a few pro DH racers that have flatted but were still able to make it to the bottom because of cush core. And theres several videos out there showing what people's cush core looks like after using it and it is impressive the amount of cuts in the insert. Definitely saves rims

And like Gabriel mentioned, having something save you on the trail is better than having a good rim all the way back in the parking lot

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

Tire inserts. I used to destroy wheels in the park. Been running nukeproof ard and not a single dent anymore. Wheels look new after 2 seasons.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
Agreed get the protection in place before you consider spending money on additional parts

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Add more air!!!
I run like 8% sag on my coil Boxxer.

Really?! I feel like it would be way too harsh

Try it and see. Also bear in mind that comfortable is not fast. You wouldn't go to a track day in a caddilac. You wouldn't want to drive 500 miles in a track car. Horses for courses, but most people in mtb do this weird thing where they set their suspension up for mega comfort and then wonder why it struggles when they ride fast.

That's a good point, didn't realize that. I'll try more air and see how it feels at higher speed

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
Hey guys would it be worth it for me to get a dh bike for racing dh? I can only afford a bike with older geometry and or 26 inch wheels will this setup be faster/more reliable than my enduro bike with modern geometry and 29 inch wheels?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
Senditcedee wrote:
Hey guys would it be worth it for me to get a dh bike for racing dh? I can only afford a bike with older geometry and or 26 inch wheels will this setup be faster/more reliable than my enduro bike with modern geometry and 29 inch wheels?

I owned a 2011 gambler with fox factory suspension. My 2018 Enduro with 27.5 wheels is far more capable and faster. Ride your 29 Enduro.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Senditcedee wrote:

I owned a 2011 gambler with fox factory suspension. My 2018 Enduro with 27.5 wheels is far more capable and faster. Ride your 29 Enduro.

Agree^ you're already comfortable and know your 29 enduro you will definitely be faster with it. Spend some money on some more reliable parts if you need to and send er.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 16:23 Quote
Senditcedee wrote:
could always use that money towards a DH setup on your current bike for racing. What is your enduro bike?

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 4:33 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Senditcedee wrote:
could always use that money towards a DH setup on your current bike for racing. What is your enduro bike?
indeed: especially if the frame is double crown compatible, you can swap the fork for the race and have a DH wheelset. Or even original rearwheel with DH casings and insert maybe.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Heavier tires/ inserts and maybe coil shock if its compatible with the spring curve of you bike.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Heavier tires/ inserts and maybe coil shock if its compatible with the spring curve of you bike.

Coukd go for a works components headset to get another degree of of the head tube angle

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010160
Mobile Version of Website