Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
For DH park riding does anyone have opinions on 29 vs 27.5? Yes I know it's the great debate but I just can't choose and keep going back and forth! I'm trying to decide between a 27.5 YT Tues XXL or 29" YT Tues Extra Long. 6'4" 190 lbs. Currently riding a 2019 YT Jeffsy 27.5" XL for trail riding. It will be purely a bike park bike riding fast chunky trails. No freeride and not many jumps, definitely no tricks/flips.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
For DH park riding does anyone have opinions on 29 vs 27.5? Yes I know it's the great debate but I just can't choose and keep going back and forth! I'm trying to decide between a 27.5 YT Tues XXL or 29" YT Tues Extra Long. 6'4" 190 lbs. Currently riding a 2019 YT Jeffsy 27.5" XL for trail riding. It will be purely a bike park bike riding fast chunky trails. No freeride and not many jumps, definitely no tricks/flips.

6'4" and no trick jumps?
29" aaaallllll day long.

The only reason not to get 29 is if you want to do 720 double barspin flips, or are worried about the tyre scuffing your arse on steep stuff. Neither of which sounds like its gonna be an issue for you.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
provin1327 wrote:

Get the 27.5 and throw a 29 fork and front wheel on lowered 10mm.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
provin1327 wrote:

For your height definitely 29. You're tall enough that you won't get rear tire buzz and can benefit from a full 29 setup. You'll enjoy it

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
provin1327 wrote:

6'3 200lbs here. You definitely want full 29er for what you're going for.

Take this with some bias too, but if you want a bike that excels the best in tech, then consider a Supreme. It's not the best jumper, and it's a heavy frame, but it's right at home in fast tech thanks to the HSP design.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
turco999 wrote:
provin1327 wrote:

6'3 200lbs here. You definitely want full 29er for what you're going for.

Take this with some bias too, but if you want a bike that excels the best in tech, then consider a Supreme. It's not the best jumper, and it's a heavy frame, but it's right at home in fast tech thanks to the HSP design.

I just bought a 2021 supreme and can confirm this. The high pivot is absolutely unreal at soaking up tech. I ride some of the gnarliest trails in the PNW (look up cypress mountain) and it feels like I'm riding flow. Roots and rocks disappear. It makes large drops and jumps feel much smaller than they actually are. This bike will push you to go bigger and faster. It suprisingly jumps very well. Better than my 2015 gambler that it replaced.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
I noticed when sitting on the bike and compressing the shock it makes a fairly loud sloshing sound, the shock I use is a 2020 Ohlins ttx22m coil shock. Is this normal or does my shock have air in it?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
Hard to tell without hearing it in real life. If it’s a squelching sound it probably has air in it. If it’s more of a gasping sound it’s probably fine.
Whenever I’ve had shocks with air in the damping circuits either on compression or rebound they have had a dead spot in the stroke where there’s no damping atall.
If the shock feels good I wouldn’t worry about it

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
My ohlins was definitely louder than other shocks I've had.
I wouldn't worry about it.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
My ohlins was definitely louder than other shocks I've had.
I wouldn't worry about it.
In my experience the best suspension makes the most noise. I even suspect that some brands have quieted down their products at the expense of performance.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 19:41 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
I noticed when sitting on the bike and compressing the shock it makes a fairly loud sloshing sound, the shock I use is a 2020 Ohlins ttx22m coil shock. Is this normal or does my shock have air in it?

I think it's the damper. I have the air version on my Enduro and it makes that noise when rebounding

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:08 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

I think it's the damper. I have the air version on my Enduro and it makes that noise when rebounding
so is it just normal for ohlins shocks?

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

I think what people are saying it could be. It is hard to say without actually hearing the sound in person. Some dampers make a fair amount of noise as they work and some dont. It sounds like the ohlins is on the louder end of the spectrum though.

If your really unsure do you have a shop you could take it too. They should be able to listen to it and have an idea if they sell ohlins parts.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I think what people are saying it could be. It is hard to say without actually hearing the sound in person. Some dampers make a fair amount of noise as they work and some dont. It sounds like the ohlins is on the louder end of the spectrum though.

If your really unsure do you have a shop you could take it too. They should be able to listen to it and have an idea if they sell ohlins parts.
I do actually have a shop that could look at it. but after asking on here I am not really worried about it, everything works amazing, I was just asking to make sure everything is normal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022437
Mobile Version of Website