Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
Spank, various DT Swiss rims and personally I had a very very good experience with a Reverse complete wheelset. Super durable rim and hold spoke tension forever.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
Had the opposite experience with Spank wheels. Ran the old 35, Race 33, and the Vibrocore 350 for a stint. From myself and friends experiences, the sidewalls are way too soft. Had multiple cave ins, and we've cracked a few from just a season or less of riding. The Oobah tech is great for locking the bead though , and the rim bed itself seems strong.

In terms of strength for alu, consider the DT 560 or Stan's Mk3. Have buddies who shred rocky bike park laps every weekend, and both seem to be capable of handling the abuse. A tire insert also goes a long way.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
Stans Flow EX3 is a stout rim but the bead profile tends to damage tires. That being said I run them front and rear on my bike and have hit rocks hard and it has barely left a mark. It pinch flatted my tire really badly but the rim had just a small mark left on it.

I find the MK3 when they dent they deform the center section of the rim as the cross section doesn't have enough support compared to EX3 but I never destroyed a tire on the MK3. They also dent more than the EX3 but you can pick your poison dented rim or damaged tire.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
joao-francisco wrote:
I'm in doubt which DH bike I buy, I wanted one that destroys everything you see ahead, I'm in doubt between m29 2019, commencal 29 and 27, or Sender CFR. if you have another one in mind please comment[PI=][/PI]
note: all will have Fox forks and shock

I have a 2021 supreme. I'm blown away how smooth yet supportive is. I don't think I can ever go back to a low pivot frame. The high pivot rear end stays planted and just hugs the ground. Faster I go, the smoother it gets. Chunky rock gardens and tech feel like flow. it's a weird feeling as the shock seems like it doesn't have enough air but I only use full travel on big drops. It has definitely pushed me to go faster and bigger.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
joao-francisco wrote:
I'm in doubt which DH bike I buy, I wanted one that destroys everything you see ahead, I'm in doubt between m29 2019, commencal 29 and 27, or Sender CFR. if you have another one in mind please comment[PI=][/PI]
note: all will have Fox forks and shock

The Sender is a very different bike from thew Commencal and doesn´t really fit what you´re describing. It´s a super fun and effective bike, but it´s not even close to a point and shoot bike. It preserves it´s geometry incredibly well and is super consistent and predictable. It is however not the most comfortable bike on the market. You´d probably still be happy with the Sender, simply because it´s that good a bike, but it´s not what you described in your post.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
Rims: I have had very good experiences with Stans Flows. Went from destroying a rim a season before I tried Stans, to having Stans last 2 seasons and still be lighter than the rims I used previously. Just bought a pair of DT EX511's on a trusted recommendation. Will see how they fare.

Tyres: I find MM's wonderfully predictable. While minions grip forever until they suddenly let go and put you on your arse, MM's maybe give up grip very slightly sooner, before breaking away predictably and with plenty of warning. The latter is a much more confidence inspiring ride. Just bought some Mich DH34's, again on a trusted recommendation.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 16:21 Quote
what aluminum cranks are good for Dh? I was looking at the shimano saint cranks.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
Can't go wrong with Saints. I am always a fan of Shimano cranks, I've got a BB from a set of Hone's that is still going strong 10+ years on.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
Definitely Saint for an indestructible crank. Mine have taken a beating for years now, not even a warp or bend in them.

But if you want a strong crank that's a bit lighter than Saint, the Atlas is my runner up.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
what aluminum cranks are good for Dh? I was looking at the shimano saint cranks.

Shimano Saint cranks are the way to go. Running them for many years no issues at all, they can take a good beating.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 20:30 Quote
joao-francisco wrote:
what is a best aluminum wheels for dh ?Madder

I have experience with Spank rims. Spank Race 28 (26") and Spank Race 33 (27.5").
Spank Race 28 are super strong, even sidewalls no dents. That is a different story on the Spank Race 33 though.
Not sure if it's because it's the size difference of wheels or not.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 22:02 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

I had Shimano saint on my gambler. 10 year old cranks and zero issues. They're amazing. I have descendants on my supreme and so far no complaints. They feel just as stiff as saint.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 2:31 Quote
Shimano cranks are always good. Very tempted to try the canfield 155mm set myself though.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
Hertz32 wrote:
Shimano cranks are always good. Very tempted to try the canfield 155mm set myself though.

Shame they're ugly and use what looks like the old ISIS spline

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
So how many of you guys drink beer and ride dh? Do you find it makes you more tired?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010996
Mobile Version of Website