Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 10:55 Quote
Anyone know if you can put 2016-2020 Fox 40 lowers on a 2012 tubes/ internals. I can't remember where that year split is.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
mior wrote:
ik this is weird but do the shiny sliver stanchions on rs forks on older giant dh bikes glide well? ive always associated the silver with cheap oem suntour forks which i know ride terribly becuase im on one right now, but im looking at a dh bike. also, that bike has a sram xSomething with no clutch. could i mount a wide range microshift advent der. and shifter and ride that instead?

In terms of stiction, you will barely notice a difference. However RS forks with silver stanchions means they are steel. I can not overstress how heavy Rockshox steel stanchioned Domain DH forks were. I'm not a weight weenie, but those forks are really heavy. It is definitely worth buying something higher spec if you can afford it.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
mior wrote:
ik this is weird but do the shiny sliver stanchions on rs forks on older giant dh bikes glide well? ive always associated the silver with cheap oem suntour forks which i know ride terribly becuase im on one right now, but im looking at a dh bike. also, that bike has a sram xSomething with no clutch. could i mount a wide range microshift advent der. and shifter and ride that instead?

You don't really want a long cage derailleur hanging down off a DH bike. Probably better off with a shimano zee der. Or something of the like.

u can get it in medium cage

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 16:59 Quote
DH question...
When Freeriding your DH bike about the place and some punk kid says,
"Hey nice E-bike"

Do you use the front hand or the back hand to slap the shiznit outta the little shit?

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
Slash his tires, take his money

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 22:48 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Anyone know if you can put 2016-2020 Fox 40 lowers on a 2012 tubes/ internals. I can't remember where that year split is.

I looked into this as I wanted to turn my old coil 40 into 27.5 and the shop said it would work no problem. I'm not sure about 29 lowers though.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
Been experimenting with higher bar height and really liking it. now realize in the past my bars have been way too low for dh stuff.

At what point do you know that you've gone too high?

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Been experimenting with higher bar height and really liking it. now realize in the past my bars have been way too low for dh stuff.

At what point do you know that you've gone too high?

Body position. Raising your bars or getting taller bar rise raises your upper body, kind of pivoting your upper body at your hips. You will eventually get to a point to where you feel you're getting to close to your bars when doing certain obstacles or you will get the feeling of your weight being to far back.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
I have been playing with this the last year or so. Needed to get the front end up due to the longer reach on my bike stretching me out. I didn't realize how much of an effect that had.

You will be able to tell if you have gone to far when you are running into issues weighting the front tire of the bike and the front tire is pushing through the corner.

I went from having my bars slammed pretty much with a 15mm rise bar to having my bike mulleted and 30mm rise bar and 15mm of spacers under the stem.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
anybody have a recommendation for a DH helmet with good ventilation for hot weather.
im looking to spend about $300 but the budget is flexible.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
GAQ wrote:
anybody have a recommendation for a DH helmet with good ventilation for hot weather.

bell super 3r of fly racing rayce

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
I like my fox proframe. Breaths really well, fidlock buckle and it's pretty light too

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
GAQ wrote:
are you going to be climbing in it too?

If not, stay away from the Enduro helmets like the programs, and Stage.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
Not the Bell Full 9. Amazing helmet but not the best in the heat.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012346
Mobile Version of Website