Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 22:49 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Prime Rocket, anyone got one? 6k€ for a full carbon frame, Fox Factory suspension and RSC brakes is pretty good bang for the buck. The only negative is that it's 29 only and there is no mullet option.

Jesus. I paid about 2000 less for my supreme lol. Similar spec except I have rockshox ultimate. Crazy people think that's a good deal these days.

Well...Everything is relative and you can't live in the past. I paid 3300€ for my Sender CF 8.0 a year ago and that is a steal today Big Grin

I just think it's fun with new manufacturers in the world of DH, and looking at what other companies charge for a similar bike 6k isn't outrageous!

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 2:32 Quote
turco999 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
I am happy with my stans ex3 rims definitely strong.

Got a bud I know who laps Bromont+MSA all weekend/every weekend in a season with EX3's+Cushcore. Finally broke his first one, but God damn do they take a beating.

I have run ex3s with cushcore on my DH bike for many years. I'm a fan.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
Motofinne wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Prime Rocket, anyone got one? 6k€ for a full carbon frame, Fox Factory suspension and RSC brakes is pretty good bang for the buck. The only negative is that it's 29 only and there is no mullet option.

Jesus. I paid about 2000 less for my supreme lol. Similar spec except I have rockshox ultimate. Crazy people think that's a good deal these days.

Well...Everything is relative and you can't live in the past. I paid 3300€ for my Sender CF 8.0 a year ago and that is a steal today Big Grin

I just think it's fun with new manufacturers in the world of DH, and looking at what other companies charge for a similar bike 6k isn't outrageous!

Past? It's a 2021 that I bought 3 months ago

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 12:12 Quote
What are you guys using for knee/shinpads?

I cant find any hard shell pads locally, only the soft shell- which I find are great for dirtjumping. When I crash riding dh the knee/shins with the soft outer pads always seem to move.

I use to have a pair of hard shell knee/shin pads and the hard shell seemed to work better for me.

Any good hard shell pad reccomendations?

Thanks guys

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
I really like my IXS Cleavers.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
That's why I'm still holding onto and using my 661 Kyle Straight pads Razz

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 16:05 Quote
kali strikes ive heard are really good

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
Thepureface wrote:

I cant find any hard shell pads locally, only the soft shell- which I find are great for dirtjumping. When I crash riding dh the knee/shins with the soft outer pads always seem to move.

I use to have a pair of hard shell knee/shin pads and the hard shell seemed to work better for me.

Thanks guys

I bought fox launch DH/FR on Sat. Best knee pads I've owned. Extremely comfortable. Even thought they look bulky and have a hard shell cap, they breathe better than my dainese trail skins. For such a thick knee pad it's easy to pedal in. I'll still use my dainese for trail days but the fox are great for park. You can order them online from Dunbar cycles. They fit true to size.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

Thanks guys

I bought fox launch DH/FR on Sat. Best knee pads I've owned. Extremely comfortable. Even thought they look bulky and have a hard shell cap, they breathe better than my dainese trail skins. For such a thick knee pad it's easy to pedal in. I'll still use my dainese for trail days but the fox are great for park. You can order them online from Dunbar cycles. They fit true to size.

I flippin love my Fox Launch Pro's. Prefect for DH use. Fine for a bit of light pedaling in too, but on days where I have to pedal myself back up the hill (or any day with a lot of sat down pedalling) they get a bit chafey on the knees. I tend to push them down round my ankles if I know I'm gonna be pedalling for more than 5 minutes otherwise at the end of a long day my knees are red raw.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 14:40 Quote
Been super happy with X-Fusion shin pads. I don't rock them on the DH rig only the dirt jump bike though.

For DH knee pads I've been wearing the RaceFace Ambush pads for several years and have been beyond happy with them.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
Hey I have a Fox Baseframe SL, I always feel like the chest protection is inadequate. Has anyone tried putting an aftermarket CE rated protector such as the Alpinestars Nucleon KR-Cir?

Thanks in advanceSmile

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
I've been happy with my EVS TP199 knee pads, the good thing about them is that they cover the shins as well. The only downside is that they're pretty hot in warm weather but it's not something that is too big of a deal for me.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 3:31 Quote
If you’re using a DH bike for free ride what sag would you go with?

I see that for rampage they’re running like 15% but what do y’all recommend for hitting the biggest jumps at parks?

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 3:46 Quote
wllmd wrote:

I see that for rampage they’re running like 15% but what do y’all recommend for hitting the biggest jumps at parks?

Whatever works for you. There is no "correct" sag number, just set it to whatever works best. Saying that though, 7% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. 94% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. There is a sensible window that will probably work well as a starting point. This will vary from bike to bike though.

Unless you are genuinely backflipping 40ft drops into huge senders with only a second or two to set up in between, then 15% is probably a bit too hard for you.For a pure jump setup, somewhere between 20-25% is probably gonna work pretty well for most riders on most bikes.

Whenever I get a new bike I start at 25% sag and go from there. However I hardly ever run smooth jumpy flow lines. Steep tech all day long (Think Champery rather than A-line). Many would tend more towards 30-35% sag for that sort of riding, but I just prefer the feel of a firmer set up. Personal preference really does come into it a huge amount.

What bike are you riding, and what rear shock?

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 4:10 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:

Whatever works for you. There is no "correct" sag number, just set it to whatever works best. Saying that though, 7% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. 94% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. There is a sensible window that will probably work well as a starting point. This will vary from bike to bike though.

Unless you are genuinely backflipping 40ft drops into huge senders with only a second or two to set up in between, then 15% is probably a bit too hard for you.For a pure jump setup, somewhere between 20-25% is probably gonna work pretty well for most riders on most bikes.

Whenever I get a new bike I start at 25% sag and go from there. However I hardly ever run smooth jumpy flow lines. Steep tech all day long (Think Champery rather than A-line). Many would tend more towards 30-35% sag for that sort of riding, but I just prefer the feel of a firmer set up. Personal preference really does come into it a huge amount.

What bike are you riding, and what rear shock?

Thank you for your answer man. I’m riding the V10.7 and their website suggests 600lb spring and 17.5-19mm sag. I switched to a EXT and they send a 525lb spring for my ‘heavy’ spring.

I’ve met DH racers in Switzerland on the same bike and they said you’ll never hit bottom if you follow that chart but my riding buddies who do back flips on every dam kicker say to run the heaviest spring you can buy and they’re not big dudes. I went to a 600lb spring(SC recommended weight) and hit bottom on a big drop but the dhx2 couldn’t dampen that springs rebound for shit and I had everything closed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014333
Mobile Version of Website