Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 4:24 Quote
wllmd wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:
If you’re using a DH bike for free ride what sag would you go with?

I see that for rampage they’re running like 15% but what do y’all recommend for hitting the biggest jumps at parks?

Whatever works for you. There is no "correct" sag number, just set it to whatever works best. Saying that though, 7% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. 94% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. There is a sensible window that will probably work well as a starting point. This will vary from bike to bike though.

Unless you are genuinely backflipping 40ft drops into huge senders with only a second or two to set up in between, then 15% is probably a bit too hard for you.For a pure jump setup, somewhere between 20-25% is probably gonna work pretty well for most riders on most bikes.

Whenever I get a new bike I start at 25% sag and go from there. However I hardly ever run smooth jumpy flow lines. Steep tech all day long (Think Champery rather than A-line). Many would tend more towards 30-35% sag for that sort of riding, but I just prefer the feel of a firmer set up. Personal preference really does come into it a huge amount.

What bike are you riding, and what rear shock?

Thank you for your answer man. I’m riding the V10.7 and their website suggests 600lb spring and 17.5-19mm sag. I switched to a EXT and they send a 525lb spring for my ‘heavy’ spring.

I’ve met DH racers in Switzerland on the same bike and they said you’ll never hit bottom if you follow that chart but my riding buddies who do back flips on every dam kicker say to run the heaviest spring you can buy and they’re not big dudes. I went to a 600lb spring(SC recommended weight) and hit bottom on a big drop but the dhx2 couldn’t dampen that springs rebound for shit and I had everything closed.

Ah ok. The dhx2 and the Ext are two very different shocks. The Dhx2 is very under damped. I'm not surprised you bottomed it out easily, and couldn't get the rebound slow enough. The Ext is a great shock, and it makes sense you can run a softer spring without running out of travel too quickly. Saying that, Ext probably specced the 525 as firm for a more "race" setup, ie, much softer than your average "jump" setup. Seeing as you already own a 525 and a 600 spring then the best thing to do is try both and see which works best for you. (assuming the 600 actually fits on the Ext shock?)

How much sag does the 525 give you on the Ext shock?

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
wllmd wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:

I see that for rampage they’re running like 15% but what do y’all recommend for hitting the biggest jumps at parks?

Whatever works for you. There is no "correct" sag number, just set it to whatever works best. Saying that though, 7% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. 94% rear sag probably isn't going to work best. There is a sensible window that will probably work well as a starting point. This will vary from bike to bike though.

Unless you are genuinely backflipping 40ft drops into huge senders with only a second or two to set up in between, then 15% is probably a bit too hard for you.For a pure jump setup, somewhere between 20-25% is probably gonna work pretty well for most riders on most bikes.

Whenever I get a new bike I start at 25% sag and go from there. However I hardly ever run smooth jumpy flow lines. Steep tech all day long (Think Champery rather than A-line). Many would tend more towards 30-35% sag for that sort of riding, but I just prefer the feel of a firmer set up. Personal preference really does come into it a huge amount.

Thank you for your answer man. I’m riding the V10.7 and their website suggests 600lb spring and 17.5-19mm sag. I switched to a EXT and they send a 525lb spring for my ‘heavy’ spring.

I’ve met DH racers in Switzerland on the same bike and they said you’ll never hit bottom if you follow that chart but my riding buddies who do back flips on every dam kicker say to run the heaviest spring you can buy and they’re not big dudes. I went to a 600lb spring(SC recommended weight) and hit bottom on a big drop but the dhx2 couldn’t dampen that springs rebound for shit and I had everything closed.

i ride mostly flow, 120lb. 450 out back and firm boxxer coil

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
wllmd wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:

Definitely go with what they recommend. Commencal says the supreme should have between 23 and 27% sag. I ignored it and went 30%. Kept bottoming out and felt wallowy. Now I'm at 25% and it's perfect. Sag entirely depends on the frame you have and you should always start with what the manufacturer recommends.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Ah ok. The dhx2 and the Ext are two very different shocks. The Dhx2 is very under damped. I'm not surprised you bottomed it out easily, and couldn't get the rebound slow enough. The Ext is a great shock, and it makes sense you can run a softer spring without running out of travel too quickly. Saying that, Ext probably specced the 525 as firm for a more "race" setup, ie, much softer than your average "jump" setup. Seeing as you already own a 525 and a 600 spring then the best thing to do is try both and see which works best for you. (assuming the 600 actually fits on the Ext shock?)

Finally was able to check. Looks about like 20-22mm of sag. Seems pretty ideal. Hmm.

I was able to hit my local free ride jumps. Nothing crazy just a 3meter tall step up table. The drop in to it is a big g-out test. Shock feels really good.

Do you by chance know off the top of your head if my fox 550lb SLS spring would fit the ext?
This weekend at saalbach-leogang will be epic.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
wllmd wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:

Finally was able to check. Looks about like 20-22mm of sag. Seems pretty ideal. Hmm.

I was able to hit my local free ride jumps. Nothing crazy just a 3meter tall step up table. The drop in to it is a big g-out test. Shock feels really good.

Do you by chance know off the top of your head if my fox 550lb SLS spring would fit the ext?

Off the top of my head, no. Fox use the smallest spring diameter off all the manufacturers, so it is possible a fox spring wont fit an Ext shock. I have an SA Racing spring (the same brand EXT use I believe), and it is a little larger ID than a Fox.

22mm sag is quite a lot more than SC suggest.
For jump lines, I would definitely try and fit the stiffer Fox spring if possible.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
wllmd wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Off the top of my head, no. Fox use the smallest spring diameter off all the manufacturers, so it is possible a fox spring wont fit an Ext shock. I have an SA Racing spring (the same brand EXT use I believe), and it is a little larger ID than a Fox.

22mm sag is quite a lot more than SC suggest.
For jump lines, I would definitely try and fit the stiffer Fox spring if possible.

I’ll express order a 575 to my hotel. I checked and you’re dead on with the spring. Damn. I think that hydroloc bottom out on the arma will be a life saver until I get the spring.
Thanks for helping me with this Gabriel!!

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 16:33 Quote
So, I finally got my shock back from ohlins after the upper bearing mount was replaced, I took the bike for a 20 minute ride on the street, and the shock got excessively hot for how much damping it was doing. Does anyone have experience with this that could explain why it is getting hot or if it is completely normal.

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
what where you doing for those 20min. riding stairs finding drops or just pedaling along

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 17:30 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
So, I finally got my shock back from ohlins after the upper bearing mount was replaced, I took the bike for a 20 minute ride on the street, and the shock got excessively hot for how much damping it was doing. Does anyone have experience with this that could explain why it is getting hot or if it is completely normal.

Sending it a little too hard on those streets!

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

normal for a TTX22M. You can cook bacon and eggs on the reservoir after a run!

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 19:03 Quote
Hey there people! Been a long time coming but im looking to get back into DH racing this year ive been ripping my yeti sb6c downhilling and regretting it every time i do because the way i ride is like im racing the US open (circa early 2010z) at mountain creek and the bike just doesnt like that much abuse! Im thinking about getting a YT tues but was wondering what the internet thinks are good bike choices for downhill racing// jumping for fun aka stuff like Highland or thunder mountain big lines for those who know those mountains! Any and all help appreciated !

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
Ctbiker89 wrote:
Hey there people! Been a long time coming but im looking to get back into DH racing this year ive been ripping my yeti sb6c downhilling and regretting it every time i do because the way i ride is like im racing the US open (circa early 2010z) at mountain creek and the bike just doesnt like that much abuse! Im thinking about getting a YT tues but was wondering what the internet thinks are good bike choices for downhill racing// jumping for fun aka stuff like Highland or thunder mountain big lines for those who know those mountains! Any and all help appreciated !

Probably not gonna help you but you can't go wrong with any dh bike on the market these days. They are all good. It's 100% personal preference. I honestly can't think of any bike I wouldn't recommend.

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 0:02 Quote
OK, so on a recent trip I was told I could do with a longer bike an I kinda agree.
I know an angle set would/should give me a longer wheel base but also a shorter reach?
So I can lower the top crown an get some higher rise bars to counter the shorter reach?
What difference would that make to the "feel" of the bike?
longer stem? currenly 50 thinking 55 or even 60mm?

I'm also planning to go from 26" to 26/27" mini mullet.

current bike a Commy V3 supreme park with a specced 64degree HA, I've noticed the new Furious also has a 64HA which made me dubious of changing but, the new supreme has 63/62.5HA depending on size..

basically im looking to make the bike longer without actually buying a new bike :'D
Opinions apreciated

New wheels

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 0:27 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
OK, so on a recent trip I was told I could do with a longer bike an I kinda agree.
I know an angle set would/should give me a longer wheel base but also a shorter reach?
So I can lower the top crown an get some higher rise bars to counter the shorter reach?
What difference would that make to the "feel" of the bike?
longer stem? currenly 50 thinking 55 or even 60mm?

I'm also planning to go from 26" to 26/27" mini mullet.

current bike a Commy V3 supreme park with a specced 64degree HA, I've noticed the new Furious also has a 64HA which made me dubious of changing but, the new supreme has 63/62.5HA depending on size..

basically im looking to make the bike longer without actually buying a new bike :'D
Opinions apreciated

New wheels
You say you kinda agree your frame is too small. But have you actually tried larger frames? If you do then there is little you can do to make a frame larger without downsides.

The frame has a 1.5'' to 1.25'' tapered headtube, so you can gain at most 5mm with a reach adjust headset. Longer stem or higher rise bar may work but with both your hands will be further from the steering axis making the steering feel sluggish. And if you put a 27.5'' wheel in the front the bike will tilt backwards a bit and you will actually lose reach.

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 0:57 Quote
thng is, when I bought this frame Xmas 2016/7 it was aperfect fit. By todays 'standards' it's not to small but not long enough..... so maybe that little bit is what I need. I mean it's not too small but could be longer, at 6ft in my boots an a large frame the bike feels good to me but at warp speeds at hitting chunder I defininatly think a longer bike would help. So I'm looking to make this bike as long an stable as possible.

A longer whel base would definilty give more stability, so reach set or angle set?
wouldn't an angle set lower the front end a touch by raking the fork out?

Active Forum Threads
6 mins ago - 21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
7 mins ago - New rotors when getting new brakes
8 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
8 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
9 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
9 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
9 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
11 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
11 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
11 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
11 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
12 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
12 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
12 mins ago - Looking for a Design Engineering related internship!
15 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
15 mins ago - Strongest Rims
15 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
15 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
16 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
16 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
16 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
16 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
17 mins ago - Mail order weed UK, EU AND USA. WhatsApp: +12026564683
17 mins ago - BUY MARIJUANA ONLINE UK WhatsApp +12026564683
17 mins ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012325
Mobile Version of Website