Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 2:45 Quote
Nothing wrong with high rise bars. I used 50 en 40mm Spank high rise bars to fix low stacks on bikes before.

Im build with long legs, short back, so most bike comes with steerertubes that are cut just to short for me. It would be nice if in general manufacturers would leave 2cm of spacers below and above a stem, so people can adjust both ways and cut it if they want.

Those short steerers always feel to me as like they would sell you a bike with pre-cut handlebars to 750mm.... "ow is it to short? sorry we liked the looks of its...you will have to buy something to rectify it...gl"Blank Stare

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
Thanks guys appreciate the advice

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:
I am trying to decide between shimano saint brakes and magura mt7 racelines. what would be the benefits/ draw backs of each? not in a rush, i'm finding my sram code rsc's don't have enough power.

Like mentioned above, If RSC's have enough power for those winning World Cup races they'll have enough for you.

Are you looking for a brake to stop you quicker? That would be changing up either rotor size or going to different tires.

Are you looking for a brake that the pads contact the rotor earlier in the stroke of the lever throw? That is moving to a different brand for a different pull curve, a better brake bleed, new pads, or thicker brake rotors.

Also don't forget your riding form has a lot to play into your braking. If you watch the top level guys they will shift their weight back and drive their heels into the ground. If you do anything different your braking will be affected.
I think I will try bleeding them and slightly lower tire pressure.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:47 Quote
Those short, light weight coils that use a wide spacer. Any good or not?
Don't see any on the WC circuit lately Big Grin

My bike needs a 3" but they're 2.5-3" in that it's a 2.5" with a half inch spacer. an I guess I'm more FR than DH
CHEERS

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
nojzilla wrote:

My bike needs a 3" but they're 2.5-3" in that it's a 2.5" with a half inch spacer. an I guess I'm more FR than DH
CHEERS

Didn't Loris have a spacer on his spring for his last win?

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

CHEERS

Oh yeah! it's on his current bike check. OK good enough for Loris good enough for me :'D

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

CHEERS

Oh yeah! it's on his current bike check. OK good enough for Loris good enough for me :'D

Curious about this. What is the benefit? Wouldn't that reduce travel?

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
Main benefit is a lighter weight coil and in general the rates are more consistent with what is printed on them than the stock springs. I would imagine though that the world cup teams are having each spring dyno'd to verify. Further, the stroke of the shock is not reduced by using these springs but the trade off is that they may not have as long of a service life as a longer spring because they are being strained more. But the life of the spring should still be many years for the average rider. EXT shocks come with similar (possibly Identical) coils to what you see the WC guys using but the entire shock body is threaded so they do not require a spacer to be used.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 16:11 Quote
notsosikmik wrote:
Main benefit is a lighter weight coil and in general the rates are more consistent with what is printed on them than the stock springs. I would imagine though that the world cup teams are having each spring dyno'd to verify. Further, the stroke of the shock is not reduced by using these springs but the trade off is that they may not have as long of a service life as a longer spring because they are being strained more. But the life of the spring should still be many years for the average rider. EXT shocks come with similar (possibly Identical) coils to what you see the WC guys using but the entire shock body is threaded so they do not require a spacer to be used.

I was under the impression that coil springs never wear out. They should last the life of your bike (or longer). Same idea as car springs.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
notsosikmik wrote:

I was under the impression that coil springs never wear out. They should last the life of your bike (or longer). Same idea as car springs.
a correctly designed spring will "never" break, but it may get a little softer over its lifespan.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
does anyone know if there is a way to service ohlins fork dampers and coil shocks yourself, trying to avoid having to send it out to them as with racing I don't want to have to be waiting two weeks for a service on a shock or fork.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 22:44 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
does anyone know if there is a way to service ohlins fork dampers and coil shocks yourself, trying to avoid having to send it out to them as with racing I don't want to have to be waiting two weeks for a service on a shock or fork.

They have service manuals on their website. Look it up for your suspension. You can do the Lowers yourself and a basic service on the shock but you definitely do not want to service the damper yourself. You'll need to buy special tools and it's best to leave it to the experts anyways.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 22:57 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

They have service manuals on their website. Look it up for your suspension. You can do the Lowers yourself and a basic service on the shock but you definitely do not want to service the damper yourself. You'll need to buy special tools and it's best to leave it to the experts anyways.
how often should I be sending the fork and shock out for a damper rebuild?

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

Rebuild?
You mean servicing of the damper. I service my forks every year once a full service (that includes, dampers, lowers, etc), every 6 months normal service (lowers, oil, etc).

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

Everything you need to know will be in the manual for your suspension. I recommend reading it through because ohlins has different sag/setup recommendations compared to fox and rockshox. It may improve your ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019679
Mobile Version of Website