Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
Hi!

Any experience/opinion on the Ohlins TTX air shock?

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Didn't Loris have a spacer on his spring for his last win?

Oh yeah! it's on his current bike check. OK good enough for Loris good enough for me :'D

Curious about this. What is the benefit? Wouldn't that reduce travel?

Sounds like you guys are talking about Sprindex. A few WC guys use it. It allows you to quickly adjust the spring rate (not the preload). The collar or spacer looking part winds the coils tighter or looser to change the spring rate up or down. IMO a cool product and can see wanting to adjust coil rate depending on different tracks.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
BMXJJ327 wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

Oh yeah! it's on his current bike check. OK good enough for Loris good enough for me :'D

Curious about this. What is the benefit? Wouldn't that reduce travel?

Sounds like you guys are talking about Sprindex. A few WC guys use it. It allows you to quickly adjust the spring rate (not the preload). The collar or spacer looking part winds the coils tighter or looser to change the spring rate up or down. IMO a cool product and can see wanting to adjust coil rate depending on different tracks.

Nah just a shorter spring with a spacer, mine came through the post an interestingly.. Though I did go from 350lb to 500lb the nuke proof "super light" coil was only 33grams lighter....... whish I'd have spunked the extra for Ti now.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
nojzilla wrote:

Nah just a shorter spring with a spacer, mine came through the post an interestingly.. Though I did go from 350lb to 500lb the nuke proof "super light" coil was only 33grams lighter....... whish I'd have spunked the extra for Ti now.

oh yup, weird my brain saw the spacer and immediately thought Sprindex, but I stand corrected.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Hi!

I have one. What do you need to know

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 17:16 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Hi!

Basically maintenance and performance. Any issues… the typical questions.

I see it has more or less the same adjustment range as the coil version. Some people told me that it makes it harder to achieve a good setting but in my own experience they were wrong. Is it the same with the air version?

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
I have a TTX2 Air on a Banshee Prime and I have found it to be quite easy to set up. It feels plusher off the top and more controlled through the mid and end stroke than the Fox DPX2 it’s replaced. I quite like it, and would recommend it.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 23:47 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Hi!

I see it has more or less the same adjustment range as the coil version. Some people told me that it makes it harder to achieve a good setting but in my own experience they were wrong. Is it the same with the air version?

I found it extremely easy to setup. There is a noticable change between clicks so dialing in the settings only took a couple laps. Compared to my old float x2 and 2021 super deluxe ultimate, the ohlins has far better small bump compliance with more mid stroke and bottom out resistance. It achieves this while also feeling plusher than fox and rockshox. It's witchcraft, no idea how ohlins pulled it off.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 4:48 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I found it extremely easy to setup. There is a noticable change between clicks so dialing in the settings only took a couple laps. Compared to my old float x2 and 2021 super deluxe ultimate, the ohlins has far better small bump compliance with more mid stroke and bottom out resistance. It achieves this while also feeling plusher than fox and rockshox. It's witchcraft, no idea how ohlins pulled it off.

Decades of championship winning motorsports suspension development that they scaled into MTB!

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Some people ask me if I find better the Ohlins DH38 or my old Fox 49. I think that the Fox is an amazing fork but I had never been able to achieve the same small bump compliance that the Ohlins has.

From what you are telling I think it is the same with the air shock

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Some people ask me if I find better the Ohlins DH38 or my old Fox 49. I think that the Fox is an amazing fork but I had never been able to achieve the same small bump compliance that the Ohlins has.

I have a new ohlins 36 fork and same results. Amazing small bump, plenty of midstroke support and just the right amount of bottom out resistance.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
My last fork was the ohlins 36 coil and it was definitely one of my favorite forks I have ridden.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I have a new ohlins 36 fork and same results. Amazing small bump, plenty of midstroke support and just the right amount of bottom out resistance.

When I first rode the Fox 38 I missed the midstroke support but great small bump compliance.

I wonder why in every review and comparisson you can read they said the Ohlins 36 lacks from small bump compliance

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

When I first rode the Fox 38 I missed the midstroke support but great small bump compliance.

I wonder why in every review and comparisson you can read they said the Ohlins 36 lacks from small bump compliance

Do you know which 36 the reviews were for? I had the original rfx 36 (2017) on my specialized and it was terrible. Really harsh even with compression full open. I had the rebound full open as well and it still wasn't fast enough. My hands were done after just one lap from the chatter and vibration. My 2020 rfx Evo 36 is the best fork I've ever ridden. I'd say it's even better then my new boxxer ultimate. I'd love to swap my boxxer for an ohlins 38 dual crown.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 1:46 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Do you know which 36 the reviews were for? I had the original rfx 36 (2017) on my specialized and it was terrible. Really harsh even with compression full open. I had the rebound full open as well and it still wasn't fast enough. My hands were done after just one lap from the chatter and vibration. My 2020 rfx Evo 36 is the best fork I've ever ridden. I'd say it's even better then my new boxxer ultimate. I'd love to swap my boxxer for an ohlins 38 dual crown.

Maybe they were about the first one I don’t remember really because it was long ago when I read them. I remember they compared it with the Fox 36 so maybe they were about the first one.

About the DH 38 I only have good words

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031346
Mobile Version of Website