Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
What do you guys think of the dvo emerald vs the ohlins 38?

Looking for a new fork for a new bike I just got and the local shop has both in stock.

The ohlins is 800$ more

I was thinking the emerald but you guys are making the ohlins sound real nice.

I mostly ride the flowy jumpy dh stuff, so not sure if the ohlins would be worth it for me.

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
What do you guys think of the dvo emerald vs the ohlins 38?

Looking for a new fork for a new bike I just got and the local shop has both in stock.

The ohlins is 800$ more

I was thinking the emerald but you guys are making the ohlins sound real nice.

I mostly ride the flowy jumpy dh stuff, so not sure if the ohlins would be worth it for me.

The Emerald USD triple clamp? There is a good reason no one on the WC circuit runs one of these.... They are not good forks.
The Ohlins DH38 is regularly reviewed as the best DH fork money can buy.

The Emerald is an open bath design, so probably puts up better with poor service intervals, but other than that the DH38 is better in every way that matters. Also by the looks of it the Emerald is not available in Boost sizing, which suggests they are planning on droppping the fork from their catalogue soon. My guess is that if they were planning on updating it they would have done so by now... If so, service parts and spares availability may become an issue in a couple of years.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
For jumping and flow you don’t need to spend that amount of extra cash and keep somewhere in between with a RockShox Boxxer, DVO Onyx, Fox 40 Elite… plenty of options out there better than the Emerald.

I like the Ohlins better but depending on where you live it could be more expensive than other options and may not justify the expenditure

Some people love that forks. I had them back in 2014 and my experience was not very good: so heavy, short service intervals… the good part was DVO. They were very supportive regarding setup or any part you may need

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 16:04 Quote
Glad I asked. Thanks dudes.

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 17:35 Quote
If you did want to go the inverted fork route, the best bet is probably the new Dorado Pro.

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
Nobble wrote:
If you did want to go the inverted fork route, the best bet is probably the new Dorado Pro.

That one is out of stock, the day it came out.
Eyeing on getting one myself. Best looking fork out there (the Dorado Pro with carbon that is).

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 17:56 Quote
Anyone have experience with nukeproof horizon wheels? They seem to be the only reasonably priced wheel in stock ($400 shipped to Canada including border fees). My e13 rear wheel is basically done after just one season. And yes I'm running inserts. Absolute garbage rims.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Anyone have experience with nukeproof horizon wheels? They seem to be the only reasonably priced wheel in stock ($400 shipped to Canada including border fees). My e13 rear wheel is basically done after just one season. And yes I'm running inserts. Absolute garbage rims.

Are you losing spokes, cause I've seen that on both the alloy and carbon e13 wheels. I got a new carbon rear rim re built by a reputable wheel builder and haven't had issues since. Does it have the e13 7 speed integrated cassette?
I've ran older nukeproof generator wheels in the past that seemed alright

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

I had the same experience with my old e13 rear wheel. multiple flatspots and dings after a season and a half.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 21:21 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

I got a rear, few moths ago for my Scout, its been fine for trail riding an a few jump sessions. Spokes are still tight. Tubeless worked instantly though I did have to use the tube to seat one bead technique.

Had a Neutron front for nearly a year an thats been fine too.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
Good day everyone, i have a commencal 2012 supreme dh and i want to change the rear shock with an air the rear shock im using is fox dhx rc4 and i want to replace it with rockshox super deluxe, my question is would it fit my frame or is it compatible with my frame? Thank you guys

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 1:59 Quote
Kylieee wrote:
Good day everyone, i have a commencal 2012 supreme dh and i want to change the rear shock with an air the rear shock im using is fox dhx rc4 and i want to replace it with rockshox super deluxe, my question is would it fit my frame or is it compatible with my frame? Thank you guys

See if you can find the speclist of the bike for that year and model, it should be mentioned there what size shock you need.
I ride a '13 Supreme Fr, found all the needed info via Commencal's archive and recently changed the shock and noticed not many manufacturers seem to be making what I need (222x70).

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
Yeah you'll be good

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Kylieee wrote:
I Think the Super deluxe is a metric Shock so it might not fit without some tinkering. But you better check if this is the case.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
Kylieee wrote:

I am curious why are you wanting to make this change? The DHX RC4 is actually a really good damper if tuned correctly. A rebuild with shim stack tune and the right coil could really make that thing shine. In my opinion probably better than a RS Super deluxe air.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.246153
Mobile Version of Website