Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 16:23 Quote
Bummer that pump only takes mineral oil though.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:

I'd bet you could send dot through it. Just have to make sure you never mix up your setups like any other bleed kits

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
Most of my bikes are running TRP so works out good for me.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:

I'd bet you could send dot through it. Just have to make sure you never mix up your setups like any other bleed kits
dot fluid swells most mineral oil seals.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 4:18 Quote
Is there a known strongest 27.5 rim?

Would the dt swiss fr560 be a good choice for one of the strongest?

Is 36 spokes stronger than 32? Or is the 36 spoke and old school thing?

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
Strongest alu rims are probably the Stan's EX3. From friends experience, the 560 seems to be softer than the previous 570. Seen quite a few trashed 560's past couple of years.

I'm just wrapping up my second season with the WeR1 Strife. Heavy for carbon wheels, but not a single loose spoke. That's riding Bromont, Fortune, and MSA mostly.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:

dot fluid swells most mineral oil seals.

If they are butyl orings you're g2g

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Is there a known strongest 27.5 rim?

Would the dt swiss fr560 be a good choice for one of the strongest?

Is 36 spokes stronger than 32? Or is the 36 spoke and old school thing?

The FR560 is a solid go to rim. You will definitely hear way more stories about people building these up and then never touching them again vs having issues. Of course the build will have a big influence in the strength of the rim.

I would say to pick between the FR560 or Stans Flow EX3s

As for spoke count 32 is strong enough. Most bigger wheels only give options for 28 or 32.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
I have been running an EX3 for over a year(granted I am not hard on wheels) with almost no damage. The only issue I find is the bead is a little narrow/sharp and seems to cause pinch flats a little easier than previous versions.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 22:06 Quote
Everyone I know with fr560 have destroyed them. Even with cushcore. However this is most likely because of how gnarly our DH trails are in BC. I've had really good luck with raceface atlas. Only wheel I haven't managed to kill. One small dent over 2 seasons.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 23:27 Quote
I've never had good luck with Stan's or Raceface rims. Too soft, the both of em.
My favourite by far is Mavic EX630, it's so damn cheap and indestructible

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:25 Quote
I've cracked one Stans flow EX3 rim, was a hard hit on rock without insert and slighly lower pressure than what i normally use.

Rebuilt the wheel with new rim, have ran it for over a year and it's been solid. I ride mainly bikepark and on trail my focus is on descends, just riding through everything, without much worrying about rims. So its been on quite heavy use, and i'm on the heavier side weight wise, 220lbs / 100kg. Running a homemade insert, same material as huck norris.

Would buy again.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
Thanks for the input guys. Not sure what to go with. Probably whatever the lbs can get easiest out of the stans or dt swiss.

The we are one rims would be really nice but I just spend like 6k on suspension and brakes and am feeling poor. On the other hand whats another couple thousand haha

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
Suspension and brakes for 6k?!?
What’d you get??

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
fredro wrote:
Suspension and brakes for 6k?!?
What’d you get??

I was interested in this as well. Full trickstuff and intend?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024231
Mobile Version of Website