Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 23:30 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
AntN wrote:
Michael-co wrote:
I’m looking for an intermediate downhill/ freeride bike. Is a 2016 intense m16 any good? I mean isn’t any bike good for freeride?
I have a M16 and in 216mm setting it's very peddle friendly IMO for a DH bike, in 240mm setting is super plush. I'm considering running a 190/180mm SC 29 fork and a 11speed and using it for Enduro.
I can second this. I also had the 2 position lever added to my DHX2 to make it even more pedal friendly when i feel like riding my M16 on trails.

When i got my bike-used also-i had to replace the lower link bearings/axles. Previous owner must have torqued them to the point they crushed the tube in the link and was causing the bearings to lock and unthread the pivot axles...

I've had the same issues with the pivot bolts loosening, I've been lead to believe and washer is required under the bolt head side to prevent the bolt protruding through and the linkage grabbing and loosening the bolt.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
AntN wrote:
Michael-co wrote:
I’m looking for an intermediate downhill/ freeride bike. Is a 2016 intense m16 any good? I mean isn’t any bike good for freeride?
I have a M16 and in 216mm setting it's very peddle friendly IMO for a DH bike, in 240mm setting is super plush. I'm considering running a 190/180mm SC 29 fork and a 11speed and using it for Enduro.
get an mrp bartlett fork

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
AntN wrote:
I've had the same issues with the pivot bolts loosening, I've been lead to believe and washer is required under the bolt head side to prevent the bolt protruding through and the linkage grabbing and loosening the bolt.

I had a similar thought and attempted to use hardware i had....nothing fit.

But after replacing bearings and getting new pivot axles this past spring..and cleaning the absolute crap out of the threads in the frame and using blue loctite, ive had zero issues all year(14days lift access riding and numerous trail rides) lol

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 12:15 Quote
Need to replace my crank on my single speed freeride bike and wonder if 160 lenght is ok for that kind of bike? I'm 5'8 and only use that bike on jumps trails with a few occasional tech trails. I figure it will be less prone to pedal strike.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
ybsurf wrote:
Need to replace my crank on my single speed freeride bike and wonder if 160 lenght is ok for that kind of bike? I'm 5'8 and only use that bike on jumps trails with a few occasional tech trails. I figure it will be less prone to pedal strike.

I'm same height as you and run 165mm on my Enduro bike for that same reason. I think that's a good setup for freeride. iirc Cam Zink or one of the other rampage riders runs 150mm cranks on their freeride bike.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
I cant bunnyhop, much less on my dh bike. im 13 and i have the motions down and can boost a jump and do the proper preload and pop, and gap 2 rollers, but i just CANT bunnyhop on flat ground. How can i work on this

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 10:41 Quote
mior wrote:
I cant bunnyhop, much less on my dh bike. im 13 and i have the motions down and can boost a jump and do the proper preload and pop, and gap 2 rollers, but i just CANT bunnyhop on flat ground. How can i work on this

Best thing you can do is just keep working on it and practicing whenever you can. Also may not be a bad idea to film yourself so you can compare your technique to what you want it to look like.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
If you can try it on a hardtail first it will help you get that motion right and be able to tell where you are going wrong on the dh bike.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
Post a video so we can see where you're at
mior wrote:

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
mior wrote:

if you dont already:
try old school bunnyhop just straight up instead of modern style lifting the front wheel first
put a little stick on the ground and ride up onto it and jump over it, it will give you a little pop
do plyometric exercise like box jumps

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
ybsurf wrote:

should be fine, try it and see and you might need to go up a few teeth in chainring size to counteract less leverage with shorter crank

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
mior wrote:
Get a cheap bmx, it will help because you know 100% if you landed a clean hop. The only downside is your wallet or if you have limited space for bikes. Do you know how to scoop up the back wheel?

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
Even with the best bunny hop techniques down. DH bikes are a bitch to pop! High weight, low tyre pressure and deep travel an sag make em absolute slugs at low speed.
Try learning a hop at speed an slow down the usual compress,pop an scoop movements this should help not loosing all the momentum of the technique in the sag!
Could also try going up a few clicks of compression, rebound an tyre pressure for a more FR feeling bike

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 7:02 Quote
BikesNRussets wrote:
mior wrote:
Get a cheap bmx, it will help because you know 100% if you landed a clean hop. The only downside is your wallet or if you have limited space for bikes. Do you know how to scoop up the back wheel?
i can sort of tuck up, i have a kids bike -> dirtjumper conversion

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
break it down into it's components.

can you manual, even just a loft of the front wheel?

can you scoop the pedals and pick up the rear wheel? I presume you are on flats. This is the fundamental skill.

get those dialled, then combine them. It's a big matter of timing mostly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017211
Mobile Version of Website