Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
brady7brady wrote:
Ok thanks for the input I guess I'll steer clear of those what forks do you guys recommend looking for

Any boxxer with a charger damper in it is gonna be an ok fork as long as the bladder hasnt popped on the damper. Older than that and they aren't the best. The coil version was particularly good. Look out for ano wear on the stanchions. If you see any, steer clear. Definitely dont get anything with stanchions less than 35mm diameter.

Pretty much any fox 40 will be nice. Really old ones with ano stanchions might be a bit iffy. Anything kashima will probably be fine. Kashima is good. The older dampers werent amazing, but they were good enough. Look out for cracks in/around the dropouts.

Both will have at least basic service kits available for a few more years at least. It's hard to say the same about anything from one of the smaller brands.

The Marzo probably isnt as bad as I made out. It was ok, but not great. I'd run one again if I needed a fork and one came up super cheap.

what about a 2014 boxxer r2c2 coil with an avalanche damper its 700$

Mod
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 14:26 Quote
brady7brady wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
brady7brady wrote:
Ok thanks for the input I guess I'll steer clear of those what forks do you guys recommend looking for

Any boxxer with a charger damper in it is gonna be an ok fork as long as the bladder hasnt popped on the damper. Older than that and they aren't the best. The coil version was particularly good. Look out for ano wear on the stanchions. If you see any, steer clear. Definitely dont get anything with stanchions less than 35mm diameter.

Pretty much any fox 40 will be nice. Really old ones with ano stanchions might be a bit iffy. Anything kashima will probably be fine. Kashima is good. The older dampers werent amazing, but they were good enough. Look out for cracks in/around the dropouts.

Both will have at least basic service kits available for a few more years at least. It's hard to say the same about anything from one of the smaller brands.

The Marzo probably isnt as bad as I made out. It was ok, but not great. I'd run one again if I needed a fork and one came up super cheap.

what about a 2014 boxxer r2c2 coil with an avalanche damper its 700$
avy has some heritage, but its harder to find parts. the link i posted was the best value, but if you want something from the era its a good fork

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 11:19 Quote
Hi guys , should i buy 2015 boxxer coil with the charger damper or an older 2009 fox 40 the one with the rebound on top on compression on the bottom ?
I mostly freeride , like big drops and big landings so i want a progressive fork
Thanks!

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 11:50 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys , should i buy 2015 boxxer coil with the charger damper or an older 2009 fox 40 the one with the rebound on top on compression on the bottom ?
I mostly freeride , like big drops and big landings so i want a progressive fork
Thanks!
Boxxer

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
What areas some decent lower cost forks that are a great candidate to accept the avalanche internals?

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
Teeff wrote:
What areas some decent lower cost forks that are a great candidate to accept the avalanche internals?
I'm sorry, could you reword that?

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 10:48 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Teeff wrote:

Want a decent performing front end. Im willing to spend on the avalanche internals to swap into some newish (less expensive)fork for which maintenance parts are aplenty ( love marzocchi but maintenance will be incredibly difficult sooner than later)

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
Teeff wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
Teeff wrote:

Want a decent performing front end. Im willing to spend on the avalanche internals to swap into some newish (less expensive)fork for which maintenance parts are aplenty ( love marzocchi but maintenance will be incredibly difficult sooner than later)
why wouldn’t you just spend the money you would have spent on avalanche internals on a better stock fork?

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
My first guess would be a Yari or older Lyrik. Other than that you are probably spending more money that just getting a current gen fork.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Teeff wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
Teeff wrote:

What maintenance parts are you concerned about? Seals and oil? They are standard size/weight with plenty of options. Moving to avalanche internals negates anything beyond that.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
Anyone try the newer Pivot Phoenix set up mullet?

Mod
Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 10:12 Quote
does anyone else use fat mud tires for sand and cobbles?

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
Any recommendations on rims? I thought the DT Swiss FR560 was good but got 5 dents in it in the first 30 minutes of riding it. Even with a Dh casing Minion and Cush Core.

Mod
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Any recommendations on rims? I thought the DT Swiss FR560 was good but got 5 dents in it in the first 30 minutes of riding it. Even with a Dh casing Minion and Cush Core.

old and a tad heavy, but ive never had a problem with my sunringle infernos. an 8 foot huck on 15psi tires and the rim was perfect. send me your specs and ill send a link.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033312
Mobile Version of Website