Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Author Message
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 19:31 Quote
Maxima is a high quality product and generally well priced.

If you’re riding that much in two months it would be a good idea to do a basic service every 2-3 months.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
hi there,, looking to buy a set of forks 203mm travel for a 26inch wheel,, appears to by harder than I thought?? would a fork for 27.5 size wheel work??

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 3:22 Quote
Yes it would and you can even run a 27.5 front wheel if you like- also helps finding front tires atleast

The 27.5 fork I think has a slightly taller A2C but not enough to worry about

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 4:58 Quote
thanks for that,, I thought it would be OK,, always good to check!!

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 18:46 Quote
do hope rotors work with shimano sram and or magura breaks?

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 0:02 Quote
keiranvan610 wrote:
do hope rotors work with shimano sram and or magura breaks?

Hope standard rotors - Yes. No issues at all

Hope floating rotors - The rivets can (just barely) hit on the mounts of some non-hope calipers. A small amount of filing the caliper usually fixes this, and causes no further issues. This is most common on Shimano calipers.

This is assuming you are using direct-mount brakes.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 5:27 Quote
keiranvan610 wrote:
do hope rotors work with shimano sram and or magura breaks?

Magura doesn’t play well with rotors thinner than 1.8mm. Pretty sure Hope rotors are 1.4 or 1.5mm thick, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I see hope makes a 2.4mm rotor. So yup, I was wrong.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
I had Hope 2-piece rotors that did not work well with Shimano XTR brakes. They hated each other. Then I hated both of them.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:31 Quote
I've seen Max Hartensterns's bike and fell in love with that.

Does anyone have any idea where we can find this composite brake protector? I have checked but could not find any information.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19522192/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-max-hartensterns-german-championship-winning-custom-2021-cube-two15.html

Bike Check - Max Hartenstern s 2021 Cube TWO15 HPC

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:33 Quote
I wonder if anyone uses the Seal Doctor for cleaning fork seals.

Risk Racing 00-123 Small 35mm - 45mm Seal Doctor, Small (35 millimeters - 45 millimeters)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZTTY6Q?ref_=pe_780071_41837251_dpLink

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:45 Quote
TravellerSeko wrote:
I wonder if anyone uses the Seal Doctor for cleaning fork seals.

Risk Racing 00-123 Small 35mm - 45mm Seal Doctor, Small (35 millimeters - 45 millimeters)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZTTY6Q?ref_=pe_780071_41837251_dpLink
some WPL forkboost does the trick.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
TravellerSeko wrote:
I've seen Max Hartensterns's bike and fell in love with that.

Does anyone have any idea where we can find this composite brake protector? I have checked but could not find any information.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19522192/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-max-hartensterns-german-championship-winning-custom-2021-cube-two15.html

Bike Check - Max Hartenstern s 2021 Cube TWO15 HPC
looks like thermo-mold plastic
https://www.amazon.com/HOLSTEX-Thermoform-Sheet-Tactical-Available/dp/B07B68R43D?th=1

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 21:33 Quote
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to reply to my noob ass question. I have been trail riding for 13 years and am now getting into DH. Im looking for a good all-arounder/park bike that people have experience riding. I currently ride a '17 enduro 29 with the Ohlins coil suspension F&R. While this bike handles Mountain Creek alright, I actually prefer to ride my 2005 Iron Horse 7point3 there lol.

Here are some of the used bikes I am considering:
- Transition TR500
- Specialized Demo 8 27.5 (although its more of a race bike so i've read)
- Giant Glory (really skeptical about giant, Ive owned a 2016 Trance 2 and the rear triangle flexed like a wet noodle)
- Scott Gambler

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 21:42 Quote
Gambler, TR500, Demo in that order.

You couldn’t pay me to ride another Giant bike.

Assuming its the newer gambler, it’s a great platform you can set it up for jumping or racing. My favorite setup is low BB, long chain stay, and the -1deg headset cup.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 0:53 Quote
rcollette45 wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to reply to my noob ass question. I have been trail riding for 13 years and am now getting into DH. Im looking for a good all-arounder/park bike that people have experience riding. I currently ride a '17 enduro 29 with the Ohlins coil suspension F&R. While this bike handles Mountain Creek alright, I actually prefer to ride my 2005 Iron Horse 7point3 there lol.

Here are some of the used bikes I am considering:
- Transition TR500
- Specialized Demo 8 27.5 (although its more of a race bike so i've read)
- Giant Glory (really skeptical about giant, Ive owned a 2016 Trance 2 and the rear triangle flexed like a wet noodle)
- Scott Gambler

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The year of the bikes you are looking at matters a lot (except for the tr500 which hasn't changed in a looong time....

Personally i'd go for the demo, as it's pretty hard to go wrong with any demo
The gambler is good enough, better if its the latest shape
I've never been that keen on the tr500 or any of the Glorys

Saying that, any of the above are good enough that you aren't going to have a terrible time riding one.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013353
Mobile Version of Website