Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Author Message
Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 0:54 Quote
TravellerSeko wrote:
I wonder if anyone uses the Seal Doctor for cleaning fork seals.

Risk Racing 00-123 Small 35mm - 45mm Seal Doctor, Small (35 millimeters - 45 millimeters)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZTTY6Q?ref_=pe_780071_41837251_dpLink

Nah, just take the lowers off every now and then and do it properly. Tools like this are a bit of a gimmick

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 0:57 Quote
TravellerSeko wrote:
I've seen Max Hartensterns's bike and fell in love with that.

Does anyone have any idea where we can find this composite brake protector? I have checked but could not find any information.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19522192/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-max-hartensterns-german-championship-winning-custom-2021-cube-two15.html

Bike Check - Max Hartenstern s 2021 Cube TWO15 HPC

I've never had anyone actually explain to me convincingly why these are a good idea...Not keeping enough heat in your brakes for them to work effectively is going to be a very unusual issue on a dh bike unless you are on a track with such a shallow gradient you are barely braking.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 2:40 Quote
Hi,

Speaking about the body position I received opposite feedback from two good riders / coaches.

Making some drills in one berm one told me the position is perfect but I should drop the external foot looking for more leaning when going faster. The other said the hips are too back and I should stay with a more centered position.

So confusing

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:23 Quote
mior wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
I wonder if anyone uses the Seal Doctor for cleaning fork seals.

Risk Racing 00-123 Small 35mm - 45mm Seal Doctor, Small (35 millimeters - 45 millimeters)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZTTY6Q?ref_=pe_780071_41837251_dpLink
some WPL forkboost does the trick.

My fork is inverted design (Manitou Dorado Pro). As it is already upside down, this will work? Or May I use it whenever I open and clean legs?

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
mior wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
I've seen Max Hartensterns's bike and fell in love with that.

Does anyone have any idea where we can find this composite brake protector? I have checked but could not find any information.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19522192/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-max-hartensterns-german-championship-winning-custom-2021-cube-two15.html

Bike Check - Max Hartenstern s 2021 Cube TWO15 HPC
looks like thermo-mold plastic
https://www.amazon.com/HOLSTEX-Thermoform-Sheet-Tactical-Available/dp/B07B68R43D?th=1

Thanks very much

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:26 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
I wonder if anyone uses the Seal Doctor for cleaning fork seals.

Risk Racing 00-123 Small 35mm - 45mm Seal Doctor, Small (35 millimeters - 45 millimeters)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZTTY6Q?ref_=pe_780071_41837251_dpLink

Nah, just take the lowers off every now and then and do it properly. Tools like this are a bit of a gimmick

Cheers mate for explanation

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
I've seen Max Hartensterns's bike and fell in love with that.

Does anyone have any idea where we can find this composite brake protector? I have checked but could not find any information.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19522192/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-max-hartensterns-german-championship-winning-custom-2021-cube-two15.html

Bike Check - Max Hartenstern s 2021 Cube TWO15 HPC



I've never had anyone actually explain to me convincingly why these are a good idea...Not keeping enough heat in your brakes for them to work effectively is going to be a very unusual issue on a dh bike unless you are on a track with such a shallow gradient you are barely braking.

Your explanation is convincing enough for me. But to be honest, it looks sick

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:33 Quote
i think its for rain/muck

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Hi,

Speaking about the body position I received opposite feedback from two good riders / coaches.

Making some drills in one berm one told me the position is perfect but I should drop the external foot looking for more leaning when going faster. The other said the hips are too back and I should stay with a more centered position.

So confusing

Cornering is something that there is debate on within MTB. And every corner is different. That corner you have pictured is a bermed corner so you will have support, so I personally would have pedals level and try to pump through the corner, so I would be in a similar position to how you are, maybe slightly more forward or even just more bent at the hips so your upper body is closer to the bars. Staying closer to the bars (but not too close) is better for controlling the front end. If your weight is too far off the back then you will be reaching for the bars rather than in a position to control them.

One thing to remember especially when you are trying to go faster is that you are not just a passenger on a vehicle, you are controlling it and choosing where it goes. Once you dial in that mindset and really think about making the bike go where you want it to is huge. And if you watch World Cup races you will see the top guys doing that. Purposefully turning the bars at a specific spot to make the bike go around something in the track or hopping sideways or up and over something.

Flat corners (meaning no berm to support you) are another animal. But for cornering overall I would focus on trying to stay in the attack position and shifting everything below your head depending on the corner. Moving at your hips, knees, ankles to move your body weight for the corner. Good luck!

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 11:31 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Hi,

Speaking about the body position I received opposite feedback from two good riders / coaches.

Making some drills in one berm one told me the position is perfect but I should drop the external foot looking for more leaning when going faster. The other said the hips are too back and I should stay with a more centered position.

So confusing

It's impossible to make any useful suggestions based on one photo of one corner. Every corner is different, and what works for one, won't work for others.

Personally I'd say nothing stands out as obviously glaringly wrong in the photo you have posted. Without watching you ride for an extended period, even the best coach in the world couldn't tell you much more than that.

Anyone who uses the blanket rule "drop the outside foot" is usually talking nonsense though. Thats a very basic bit of rider lore, that more often than not actually makes things worse. Watch the pros ride and 90% of the time they keep their feet level. Other times they will absolutely drop the outside foot, but unless you are a total beginner, then usually this "drop the outside foot" advice is way too basic to be of any use.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
TravellerSeko wrote:
I've seen Max Hartensterns's bike and fell in love with that.

Does anyone have any idea where we can find this composite brake protector? I have checked but could not find any information.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19522192/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-max-hartensterns-german-championship-winning-custom-2021-cube-two15.html

Bike Check - Max Hartenstern s 2021 Cube TWO15 HPC

I've never had anyone actually explain to me convincingly why these are a good idea...Not keeping enough heat in your brakes for them to work effectively is going to be a very unusual issue on a dh bike unless you are on a track with such a shallow gradient you are barely braking.

Only worth it for tracks with a ton of grit/ mud getting in there. And since it's normally cold and rainy in those situations the heat thing isn't as much of an issue. The TRP ones they made did have vents in them as well

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 12:50 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Hi,

Speaking about the body position I received opposite feedback from two good riders / coaches.

Making some drills in one berm one told me the position is perfect but I should drop the external foot looking for more leaning when going faster. The other said the hips are too back and I should stay with a more centered position.

So confusing

It's impossible to make any useful suggestions based on one photo of one corner. Every corner is different, and what works for one, won't work for others.

Personally I'd say nothing stands out as obviously glaringly wrong in the photo you have posted. Without watching you ride for an extended period, even the best coach in the world couldn't tell you much more than that.

Anyone who uses the blanket rule "drop the outside foot" is usually talking nonsense though. Thats a very basic bit of rider lore, that more often than not actually makes things worse. Watch the pros ride and 90% of the time they keep their feet level. Other times they will absolutely drop the outside foot, but unless you are a total beginner, then usually this "drop the outside foot" advice is way too basic to be of any use.

^^^ This 100%. Every corner is different. And people have their own opinions about how to do them. Some coaches will even tell you to absolutely never drop your outside foot. The purpose of dropping your outside foot is to lower your center of gravity and try and get more weight into the tires, but when you put pressure down on the outside foot it effectively wants to make the bike stand straight up, so now you're fighting the bike while also trying to make it turn.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 12:51 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
norfiril wrote:
Hi,

Speaking about the body position I received opposite feedback from two good riders / coaches.

Making some drills in one berm one told me the position is perfect but I should drop the external foot looking for more leaning when going faster. The other said the hips are too back and I should stay with a more centered position.

So confusing

It's impossible to make any useful suggestions based on one photo of one corner. Every corner is different, and what works for one, won't work for others.

Personally I'd say nothing stands out as obviously glaringly wrong in the photo you have posted. Without watching you ride for an extended period, even the best coach in the world couldn't tell you much more than that.

Anyone who uses the blanket rule "drop the outside foot" is usually talking nonsense though. Thats a very basic bit of rider lore, that more often than not actually makes things worse. Watch the pros ride and 90% of the time they keep their feet level. Other times they will absolutely drop the outside foot, but unless you are a total beginner, then usually this "drop the outside foot" advice is way too basic to be of any use.

^^^ This 100%. Every corner is different. And people have their own opinions about how to do them. Some coaches will even tell you to absolutely never drop your outside foot. The purpose of dropping your outside foot is to lower your center of gravity and try and get more weight into the tires, but when you put pressure down on the outside foot it effectively wants to make the bike stand straight up, so now you're fighting the bike while also trying to make it turn.

On another note, dropping your heels is a good move, which you're doing. And keeping your head up and looking out of the corner is really good. Looking where you want to go is one of the most beneficial parts of cornering well.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 16:15 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
BMXJJ327 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:


It's impossible to make any useful suggestions based on one photo of one corner. Every corner is different, and what works for one, won't work for others.

Personally I'd say nothing stands out as obviously glaringly wrong in the photo you have posted. Without watching you ride for an extended period, even the best coach in the world couldn't tell you much more than that.

Anyone who uses the blanket rule "drop the outside foot" is usually talking nonsense though. Thats a very basic bit of rider lore, that more often than not actually makes things worse. Watch the pros ride and 90% of the time they keep their feet level. Other times they will absolutely drop the outside foot, but unless you are a total beginner, then usually this "drop the outside foot" advice is way too basic to be of any use.

^^^ This 100%. Every corner is different. And people have their own opinions about how to do them. Some coaches will even tell you to absolutely never drop your outside foot. The purpose of dropping your outside foot is to lower your center of gravity and try and get more weight into the tires, but when you put pressure down on the outside foot it effectively wants to make the bike stand straight up, so now you're fighting the bike while also trying to make it turn.

On another note, dropping your heels is a good move, which you're doing. And keeping your head up and looking out of the corner is really good. Looking where you want to go is one of the most beneficial parts of cornering well.

Thank you all for your replies.

I only drop my outside foot in flatter corners and/or when looking for traction. Useful for having more space for leaning the bike but in a berm like this it doesn’t make much sense IMO.

The corner has nothing special and it was only a drill for trying a different line in the entrance of the corner (just hit it slow and pumped to gain speed on the exit).

Just posted the video on IG and the other trainer (who’s also my mate) wrote me to be careful with the position of my hips and with this capture. This is confusing to me since I don’t see anything bad in that exact moment.

I will post the full video where I think there are more mistakes to point than that capture.

Views: 83    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 17:00 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Gambler, TR500, Demo in that order.

You couldn’t pay me to ride another Giant bike.

Assuming its the newer gambler, it’s a great platform you can set it up for jumping or racing. My favorite setup is low BB, long chain stay, and the -1deg headset cup.

I was looking at a 2020 Scott Gambler 930 in that cool copper color, thanks for the input!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016824
Mobile Version of Website