Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
Wouldn't firmer be better for racing?

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
fredro wrote:
courses are different. i need traction and comfort so my hands dont hurt as much

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
mior wrote:
fredro wrote:
courses are different. i need traction and comfort so my hands dont hurt as much

that's fair I do more freeride so it helps having something a little firmer for my weight also coming over from a dirt bike where my suspension was way less comfy then a mountain bike I don't really get arm fatigue from a firmer ride my last 2 forks have had medium springs in them so I might even try that first though they weren't boxers so might have different characteristics.

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 13:54 Quote
brady7brady wrote:
mior wrote:
fredro wrote:

that's fair I do more freeride so it helps having something a little firmer for my weight also coming over from a dirt bike where my suspension was way less comfy then a mountain bike I don't really get arm fatigue from a firmer ride my last 2 forks have had medium springs in them so I might even try that first though they weren't boxers so might have different characteristics.
soft or medium will do you good

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 20:16 Quote
mior wrote:
brady7brady wrote:
mior wrote:

To answer your original question, I would go with the Boxxer. It will be easier to find parts for (as you mentioned), especially parts for upgrading, and the Boxxer just works. 50 hour service is stupid easy, 200 hour service isn't bad. Plenty stiff so it won't vibrate forward and back on you, but with proper service will compress how it should. I've always been a coil guy but got the newest Boxxer Select and have been happy with the air.

Hope this helps. For reference I race chunky stuff and backflip freeride stuff. Fork does a good job at everything with minimal adjustments.

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 20:31 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
mior wrote:
brady7brady wrote:

To answer your original question, I would go with the Boxxer. It will be easier to find parts for (as you mentioned), especially parts for upgrading, and the Boxxer just works. 50 hour service is stupid easy, 200 hour service isn't bad. Plenty stiff so it won't vibrate forward and back on you, but with proper service will compress how it should. I've always been a coil guy but got the newest Boxxer Select and have been happy with the air.

Hope this helps. For reference I race chunky stuff and backflip freeride stuff. Fork does a good job at everything with minimal adjustments.

awesome thanks for the help!

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
I noticed my bomber has a 583mm axel to crown even though it’s a 26” fork and a 26” boxxer has a 565mm axle to crown should I get a 27.5” boxxer instead? It has a 581mm axle to crown and if I get a 27.5 fork should I continue to run 26 wheels or run a 26/27.5 mullet

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
brady7brady wrote:
I noticed my bomber has a 583mm axel to crown even though it’s a 26” fork and a 26” boxxer has a 565mm axle to crown should I get a 27.5” boxxer instead? It has a 581mm axle to crown and if I get a 27.5 fork should I continue to run 26 wheels or run a 26/27.5 mullet

Absolutely. This will retain the geometry you have currently. It will slack it out some if you run the 275 front but not terribly

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 16:30 Quote
You can drop the crowns a bit to keep the geometry the same because of the bigger wheel.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 16:44 Quote
Thanks just making sure I think I’ll keep full 26 I’ve had bigger wheel bikes but always found myself back at 26

Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 5:38 Quote
Im 6'5- 6'6 what would be a good reach number to look for. I see a lot of these bikes with 475mm reach plus. Should I look at bikes that are 500mm+ for dh, enduro, and trail?

Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
Im 6'5- 6'6 what would be a good reach number to look for. I see a lot of these bikes with 475mm reach plus. Should I look at bikes that are 500mm+ for dh, enduro, and trail?
Only really asking cause I broke my old bike from 2014 and looking for possibly a dh rig.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
There is no right or wrong really and you can make just about anything work but you probably should be looking in 500mm+ range.

If you can try and get some time on bikes with different reach numbers and see how they feel.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
There is no right or wrong really and you can make just about anything work but you probably should be looking in 500mm+ range.

If you can try and get some time on bikes with different reach numbers and see how they feel.
I tried and my local shop didnt have any xl bikes in stock Frown

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016787
Mobile Version of Website