Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
There is no right or wrong really and you can make just about anything work but you probably should be looking in 500mm+ range.

If you can try and get some time on bikes with different reach numbers and see how they feel.
I tried and my local shop didnt have any xl bikes in stock Frown

Hard to say fit is personal thing sometimes but if in doubt go by the manufacturers sizing charts and you should get something that your are comfortable on.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Michael-co wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
There is no right or wrong really and you can make just about anything work but you probably should be looking in 500mm+ range.

If you can try and get some time on bikes with different reach numbers and see how they feel.
I tried and my local shop didnt have any xl bikes in stock Frown

Hard to say fit is personal thing sometimes but if in doubt go by the manufacturers sizing charts and you should get something that your are comfortable on.

I will say that it's not always clear cut on what frame size you want/need, an xl from one manufacturer may only be fractionally bigger than the large equivalent from a different manufacturer and I think riding style and what your riding also plays a big part in what size you get.

I'd advise to just try as many bikes as you can, I'm looking at getting a new bike and I'm trying to ride just about everything I can atm, was on my mates size small specialized demo a few weeks ago.

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 14:25 Quote
I need some DH wheels in an unusual combo. I need a 29” boost 20mm front, and a 27.5” 148mm rear.

Anyone know of anything decent I can get “off the shelf”, or am I going to have to build them?

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
There’s tons of those wheels, just probably have to buy individual.

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
The rear is easy, it’s the front that’s hard to find.

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 3:11 Quote
There are tonnes of 29" dh wheels out there.
If you are looking for an off the shelf wheelset I can see the 148 rear hub causing issues, but you should have no trouble at all if you don't mind buying the wheels seperately and having them slightly mismatched.

But also, you should always build your own wheels cos you seem like a half decent mechanic and off the shelf wheelbuilds are generally a bit shit.

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
I’m having a surprisingly hard time finding an affordable and decent 20mm boost hub. I’d be happy with a Hope, but the endcaps (PN HUB494) seem to be unobtanium in the US and CRC doesn’t have them.

Spank Hex hubs fit the bill but I’m always a bit iffy on rebranded asian made hubs because you never know when part support will disappear.

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 8:10 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I’m having a surprisingly hard time finding an affordable and decent 20mm boost hub. I’d be happy with a Hope, but the endcaps (PN HUB494) seem to be unobtanium in the US and CRC doesn’t have them.

Spank Hex hubs fit the bill but I’m always a bit iffy on rebranded asian made hubs because you never know when part support will disappear.

Halo are another reasonable quality UK brand (who I used to work for so I'm a little biased...)
They are produced in Taiwan, but they aren't just rebranded catalogue jobs, and Lloyd (the owner of the brand) is about as old school as it gets, meaning he will support products for many many years to come, and tries to use easily obtainable bearings etc rather than weird pointlessly bespoke stuff.

I've got some of their boost DH hubs on my bike at the mo, and they are strong and reliable. Tolerances are good etc etc.

As far as whats available in the US, I got no idea.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
Quick google brought up plentiful cheap dt 350 options.

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 8:23 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
DT are an option, but it really bothers me that they still think 18POE is acceptable for a rear hub.

and 240s are the same price as I9s

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
I choose the 18 dt350 over anything. Reliable as pig shit and realistically I've never been held back by low engagement points.

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
Nobble wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
DT are an option, but it really bothers me that they still think 18POE is acceptable for a rear hub.

and 240s are the same price as I9s

And why would the POE matter for a 20mm front hub? I am running a 110x20 DT350. Mis-match your wheels if you need to.
In my opinion, POE isn't really a big deal on a DH bike. It's not like you are trying to ratchet up a tech climb. Less is sometimes more.

Posted: Dec 23, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
I've been looking everywhere and I can't find a solid answer - anybody got an idea what axle to crown length is the Marzocchi bomber 58? I know it varies depending on the lower crown placement, but the manual says you should have it 157.2mm from the top of the stanchion. In that case, what would the axle to crown measure at, I wonder?

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
LukasKovarik wrote:
I've been looking everywhere and I can't find a solid answer - anybody got an idea what axle to crown length is the Marzocchi bomber 58? I know it varies depending on the lower crown placement, but the manual says you should have it 157.2mm from the top of the stanchion. In that case, what would the axle to crown measure at, I wonder?

I would imagine it is the same as the Fox 40? 586.1 mm for 27.5 and 601 for 29

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=806

Posted: Jan 5, 2023 at 12:02 Quote
Hi, I’m rebuilding my DH 26 inches wheels with Hadley hubs and mavic rims. I’m rebuilding the wheels exactly as they are now:

H600110 r9.0 & SDH XL 150 r9.0
Mavic EX 823 (32)
DT Swiss spokes

I’m using the same used hubs as they are still in good shape, I have a set of unused ex 823 rims.
I just need to get the spokes.
When I took a couple spoke off to get the length of the existing spokes, I noticed they are 256 mm on each sides. Shouldn’t they be longer on the non drive side in the rear? I also just now observed that the wheel is not exactly centered between the fork or the frame (front and rear wheel).
So I’m not confident anymore that the spoke size was perfect originally, and I would like to know if any of you could guide be in buying the perfect size.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.041625
Mobile Version of Website